Breakfasts

ColinBhoy

Dislikes
Eejits, loudmouths
Can you guys give me some tips for breakfast meals?
I am managing my BG levels fairly well now, through medication and a supplement of the B1 vitamin that was discussed in a recent thread, but I have some concerns.
For breakfast just now I am sticking to eggs, or bacon and eggs, or sausage and eggs, or sausage and black pudding (or sometimes the lot at the weekend!). I have imported all this lovely Scottish 'heart attack' food down here to Angola with me! While I have no problems with my BG levels doing this, I have some serious concerns about my fat and cholestorol levels (which I can't monitor). I do suffer from high cholestorol, and I have been prescribed statins, but I haven't started taking them yet. I am too concerned about high liver enzymes which could be a concern when taking statins. If I can get my liver enzymes down in the next month or so I will start taking the statins, but until then I would like some options for breakfast. I have found that having a 'good' (read; hearty!) breakfast like the above, it does set me up for the day and I only need very small meals for the rest of the day, without the need for 'snacking', so whatever I take needs to be 'filling'. Nothing else that folks usually have for breakfast seems to help (yoghurt, cereals. pastries etc), and just sends my BG levels high for a long time, so if anyone has any innovative ideas out there, please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Colin.

leggott

Hi,

What about some fish to go with those eggs! Smoked salmon with scrambled eggs or some haddock with a poached egg on top. Baked mushrooms and tomotoes are nice with a little cheese melted on top.

ColinBhoy

Dislikes
Eejits, loudmouths
Hey, good call leggott!
Fish and eggs for breakfast never popped into my head ...I have had this before but only when I was living in hotels on business trips. Never occured to me that I could make it at home :roll:
Don't think I can access any good haddock down here (God I just long for a good haddock supper, all greasy and crispy batter!), but the salmon and eggs would be great.
Guess I need to give the wife a bit more housekeeping money though :lol:
Thanks for that.
Colin.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
smoked trout goes nicely with scrambled eggs too :) also i find steak, mushrooms and tomatoes sets you up for the day, with just a light snack lunchtime with my tablet.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Steak for breakfast? You are the MAN!!! :wink:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Kippers? Tinned mackerel, tuna, pilchards. As a fellow Scot, ye cannae whack it!

fergus

ps what tends to happen when you restrict the carbs and increase the fat and protein is an improvement in your cholesterol profile. LDL might not shift by much, but HDL will certainly rise and triglycerides plummet. It's all to the good.

TheTartanPimpernel

I spent some time in West Africa many years ago.

Dried salted fish was very useful. Soak the fish overnight to remove some of the salt. Make a vegetable stew - onions, tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes, sweet peppers, chillies or whatever you can get your hands on. Once cooked, sit the dried fish on top and replace the lid for10-15 minutes.

Bake a Plantain - one is more than enough - mash and add some finely chopped Scotch Bonnets. Slice a Plantain into thick rounds and press flat to make larger thin discs. Deep or shallow fry.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That spicy Plantain mash sounds lovely - but plantain is 33% sugar...

ColinBhoy

Dislikes
Eejits, loudmouths
Most fish is available in abundance here so will look at all these options. I am also used to eating the 'bacalhau' (salt cod) but usually I BBQ it, and I am sure the wife would have some objections to raise if I asked her to 'fire up the barbie' at 5.00 am to make my breakfast! Seriously though, some good inputs here so thanks again.
I have been trying to source some oats over here as I love them. Sure they must be available somewhere, but I've yet to find them. I will also be interested to see how they affect my BG, as I haven't tried them since diagnosis.
Get ready for my next thread asking for lunch and dinner suggestions ...when I get fed up eating all this fish :lol:
Colin.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Yuck I couldnt eat steak or fish for breakfast.

Doczoc

Greek yoghurt, seeds, nuts and berries? You could flavour the yoghurt with some sweetener or da vincis syrup maybe or vanilla extract. I like it plain mind.

ColinBhoy

Dislikes
Eejits, loudmouths
God, what a buzz I have!
I had some smoked salmon with a few capers and some lemon juice, mixed up with an avocado, for breakfast this morning. It is probably the first time I have eaten an avocado, and I found it quite pleasant. I did check the Collin's Carb Counter and although it has a very high calorific value, it has low carbs.
Would it be this calorific value that is sending me through the roof just now? I have such a buzz I am almost shaking!
Colin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Doubt it ? I should think you should check your Bg level....?

ColinBhoy

Dislikes
Eejits, loudmouths
Thanks ...I just checked it and it is 6.8
Not as low as it usually is, but then again it is less than 2 hours since I ate, so would expect it to be slightly higher I guess. Pretty normal for me in any case, and I would expect it to be back around 5.2 before I eat again.
I have felt on edge since I left the house, and it reminds me of the days when I used to have some heavy nights on the whisky, putting my blood pressure through the roof and making me very aggressive next morning. Don't feel aggressive with this though, and no, I haven't been 'on the drink' again :shock:
Think I'll go to the Occupational Health folks upsatirs and ask to borrow their BP monitor, although it has been very well controlled since I started medication and taking better care of myself :D
Colin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Good idea Colin. Hope it is OK.

ColinBhoy

Dislikes
Eejits, loudmouths
All seems to be settled down now! I couldn't get hold of a BP monitor, but I am going to have the same breakfast tomorrow and then take my own BP monitor to work with me in case it happens again. I guess it is possible for me to have some sort of unusual reaction to avocados ...if I have, and I had known earlier in my life, it may have saved me from getting drunk for 20 years :lol:
Thanks for your inputs cugila and others :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
What about cheese? nothing too heavy eg cottage cheese, mozarella, ricotta. You can get low fat versions if worried about fat content. Mix with, eg ham, tomato or even a bit of sliced fruit if you're feeling daring (mozarella and sliced strawberry go lovely together. Strangely enough, so does halloumi). Works for me...