Breaking a long unplanned dry fast.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from my earlier posts about my covid/flu/painful throat closing hospital stay, it looks like I’m about to break my almost 4 day dry fast (been on IV fluids) . I’ve managed to drink a bit of water tonight and it feels a bit unpleasant in my stomach now. Tomorrow they will want to see food attempts. I’ve never fasted more than 24 hrs and that was a one off.

How do I approach this to create the fewest issues that are related to breaking the fast (illness ones aside). I’ll be stuck with very limited low carb options and the usual hospital junk. Any advice welcome as I really don’t want to add to my woes

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Start small, milky coffee then a scrambled egg perhaps, then some more more a couple of hours later. Soup, cheese and biscuits (maybe leave the biscuits). Remember to keep drinking, add salt to food.
Diabetes may need to drop down your priority list for a few days while you get over the other stuff.
Wishing you well

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Following on from my earlier posts about my covid/flu/painful throat closing hospital stay, it looks like I’m about to break my almost 4 day dry fast (been on IV fluids) . I’ve managed to drink a bit of water tonight and it feels a bit unpleasant in my stomach now. Tomorrow they will want to see food attempts. I’ve never fasted more than 24 hrs and that was a one off.

How do I approach this to create the fewest issues that are related to breaking the fast (illness ones aside). I’ll be stuck with very limited low carb options and the usual hospital junk. Any advice welcome as I really don’t want to add to my woes
I have been in this situation about half a dozen times, I would go with very small amounts at one time, then a couple of hours later another spoon of something. Your digestive system will need to get back on track so take it steady. I Have often seen jelly pots in hospital, sometimes low sugar. Plain yogurt, and as Mrs A2 said scrambled egg, cheese, soup etc. You could always choose a sandwich and just eat the filling, ham salad or egg mayo Sounds like you might be over the worst if they want you to try a bit of food? Wishing you well.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry to hear you’re so unwell - I’ve also seen your other thread.

In your shoes I’d want to do whatever I could to get home. I‘d start with small amounts of whatever you feel you can digest/fancy. I’d temporarily suspend thoughts of blood sugar as it might be that blander, ‘beige’ things go down better. If it’s small amounts for a couple of days, you’ll be able to sort things out once home.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just eat what you can. When I have had a throat infection with voice loss I often can only manage carby things. Getting well is priority. Keeping BGs within range during the good times allows us a bit of leeway during the bad.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realise I have to do my best on carbs rather than ideal. I’ve resigned myself to that now. It’s getting g the digestive system gently restarted I’m concerned about next.

Well breakfast has no egg options. All cereals toast porridge or fruit. Proudly marked as all vegetarian. Going to have to go porridge I think. they do have a rubbery omelette for lunch that’s on my list I saw yesterday and some veg soup thats not too carby (the meat options must have flour/potatoes as they have more than triple the carbs so I’ll pass on them). more soup and roast chicken for dinner. Small amounts nothing acidic. I might even use the excuse for some custard or ice cream. Medicinal of course. A last hurrah before I tackle the fallout at home later.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I would say is be very careful of going too milk-heavy as you resume eating. It can make Metformin look like Immodium!

Scrambled eggs, a bit of toast, or porridge. I think it is critical to remember that in the early eating episodes you won't be consuming enough to make even black forest gateau/pork pie/crisps (or whatever your nemesis carbfest would be) look carb heavy.

If you are still on high dose steroids, your numbers will be high, whatever you eat and drink, so just try to move along.

The only time I have been in hospital, since low carbing, it was only for day surgery. I viewed eating the vile, plastic white bread and polythene slice, referred to as cheese as being part of my escape plan. Operation Get Home.

moraccomoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Always break longer fasts with a liquid food. Bone broth, clear veg soup are good choices. Avoid jumping right into solid foods. Theblonger you fast, the longer should be the transition to solid foods.

Also avoid foods that are acidic. When you're ready to take solid foods, take in small quantity and see how your stomach responds.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM