Breaking the cycle

joelcam

Hi,

I've been type 1 for over 2 years now. My control has generally been really good - worst hBa1C I had was 6.5%. Other have been below 6%. I didn't even need to check my levels too often as I was in a really good routine of training and eating correctly.

Over the last 5-6 months my control has been shocking. Well shocking for me anyway. The daft thing is I know why it is. I have not exercised at all (other than football once a week for an hour). I have been eating HUGE amounts of biscuits, chocolate and sweets and rarely injecting more to cover the increase in sugar/carbs. I have stopped testing frequently, sometimes I have gone for days without testing. I have even got the stage of not injecting my Levemir more often than I have injected it each night.

I also think I know why I have let things slide. I have had a lot going on in my personal life over the last 6 months (nothing to do with my health but the health of someone who is really dear to me) and it has been the most challenging 6 months of my life without a shadow of a doubt. You'd think that the scare I had would have made me control things even better than ever but it's not been the case.

I have a lovely wife and 2 beautiful children and I have this nagging sense that I am being selfish by not looking after myself properly but the more I think about it the more I end up eating some junk! I know this all sounds pretty pathetic but it's what is happening and I'm quite down about it.

I know the obvious answer is 1. Start testing regularly again 2. Stop eating rubbish 3. Start exercising again and this is what I intend to do each week but then put it off with excuses like:-

- I'll do it when I start my new job
- I'll start on Monday
- I'll do it once we've put up the Xmas decorations
- I'll do it after Christmas etc..

Don't want answers but just typing this has helped!!

Fallenstar

No answers Joel, cos you know em! Just wanted to say I have been there . You will get back on track when the time is right, more importantly ,when you GET time to do it. Sometimes, beyond our control other things in life take priority, and Diabetes is a time consuming , everyday thing to have to deal with...so at times it goes on the back burner and control goes out the window :(

hope things settle and you get back on track soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Joel,

No answers as you asked but would just like to say good luck and best wishes! :)

Nigel

Tracey69

Hi
It sounds like you had a real rough few months, i think alot of us can relate to what your saying.
I had always put everyone and everything before myself. Your diabetes can been over looked, and i can tell you i wish i had listened to doctors advice, i probably would have some of the complications i have (especially my eyes).
But may be it will help by talking to people out side the family who will understand we can't always be perfect at our control, we are humans not just a diabetic label, or it's your own fault when we alredy know that answer.
Please feel free to keep in contact if you want.
Hope all gets better for you soon.
Take care
Tracey

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
joel, regardless of the whys behind your probs, the most important thing is to keep sugars in check.

eating junk, not regularly exercising, all that matters infinitely less if one is taking appropriate doses, and just keeping numbers in order like you had been. this isnt to say dont exercise/etc, but just that above all else needs to be a respect for good #s, and dosing correctly for your body's needs and food intake should be seen as something that there is no flexibility on. eat candy, just dose appropriately. not the best MO perhaps, but if the candy thing wont change now, other concessions must be made.

this is for your body's sake to some extent, but its primarily for the well-being of your wife & children, both short & long term.

(i've got no problem trying to guilt you into a better place :p )

i hope the personal stuff you reference is getting better/easier to deal with. fingers crossed for all involved.

perhaps this'll cheer you up a bit, or at least distract for a few minutes:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

also, its not unheard of for insulins to play a bit in the way of head games. perhaps investigate another flavor or two.