1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Julie.reid1906, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Julie.reid1906

Julie.reid1906 Type 1 · Active Member

I intend to breastfeed and recently saw a dietician who advised trying to express a bit before birth to give to the baby if his blood sugars are low after birth and struggling to breastfeed. Has anyone done this? Just looking for some advice from some diabetic mums Thanks

2. jade88

jade88 · Well-Known Member

Hi Julie, yes I expressed and froze some colustrum then took it with me when I was induced - I went into the birthing unit week before and a midwife showed me how to do it and gave me some syringes to put the expressed milk into. Not all women are able to do this as some don't get their milk until after baby is born I was only able to get a little but definitely worth trying!

3. Julie.reid1906

Julie.reid1906 Type 1 · Active Member

Thanks, I was at a breastfeeding class today and they were quite anti-expressing before the baby comes as it can disrupt the natural process or something. Did you have any problems with the first feed?

4. jade88

jade88 · Well-Known Member

No my little boy latched on straight away although his blood sugars were still low even with the extra bit I'd expressed so spent first night in neonatal with a feeding tube I continued to express and then spent the next day feeding him inbetween the feeds through the tube - soon as tube was out I exclusively breast fed him with no issues

• Like Like x 1
  5. GrinderColumn

GrinderColumn · Member

Where you able to get expressed milk? I wasn't able to do it until 3 days after birth.

6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

It's colostrum that you express. However, if you can't do this, some hospitals have donated breastmilk your baby can have if needed very early on.

7. @4lgd

@4lgd · Member

I was able to express some colostrum just prior to being induced at 36 weeks. I am really glad I did for 2 reasons: I think the stimulation helped get my labour started. Also, I had to be taken to theatre straight after my delivery (ruptured placenta). My husband was able to give the expressed colostrum to my baby, it stopped her blood sugars dropping. I was so glad it was there for her.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook