British Red Cross

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just downloaded the British Red Cross app on my phone and thought I'd test it's reliability by reading the advice it gives to people that are helping those with diabetes.

64095a686ecfa073fdf98ceadc4d628d.jpg

Does anybody else read this as advice to give people insulin if they have it? It's not very clear I don't think

I'm not having a go, or looking to start arguments with this I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that's reading it this way.
Confusing.

Claire x

Edited by a mod to correct name

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree @claire1991 That bit about the insulin pen, glucose, etc does imply that the insulin pen can be used to treat a hypo.

I'd contact them if I was you, as there shouldn't be any possible confusion or misunderstanding at all. Unfortunately, some members of the public do think a hypo should be treated with insulin 'because that's what diabetics need' so someone could read that and have their misconception confirmed.

That's frightening.

It has no need to mention insulin pens at all.

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree @claire1991 That bit about the insulin pen, glucose, etc does imply that the insulin pen can be used to treat a hypo.

I'd contact them if I was you, as there shouldn't be any possible confusion or misunderstanding at all. Unfortunately, some members of the public do think a hypo should be treated with insulin 'because that's what diabetics need' so someone could read that and have their misconception confirmed.

That's frightening.

It has no need to mention insulin pens at all.
My thoughts exactly.

I'll see if my app had a way of contacting them and will mention it.

When I was on injections I put a note in with my pens asking people not to inject me in an emergency because I was frightened people would just assume that's the right thing to do. It worries me that only the diabetic them self would know how much insulin they would need for their own diabetes, not a random member of the public!

x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My thoughts exactly.

I'll see if my app had a way of contacting them and will mention it.

When I was on injections I put a note in with my pens asking people not to inject me in an emergency because I was frightened people would just assume that's the right thing to do. It worries me that only the diabetic them self would know how much insulin they would need for their own diabetes, not a random member of the public!

x

Yes, that's something that terrifies me too. I have a card in my purse saying to give me glucose tablets if I'm ill or fainting, but it still scares me that someone might 'help' by giving me insulin. I often used to wish they had brief info ads telling people what to do if they saw someone who was hypo.

There may be contact details in the app or you could email them via their website.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I definitely read that as "give them a sugary drink or some insulin" when, obviously it's not either, or - they are opposites!

Really like the idea of a note with my pens saying don't inject me, might have to copy you guys :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I definitely read that as "give them a sugary drink or some insulin" when, obviously it's not either, or - they are opposites!

Really like the idea of a note with my pens saying don't inject me, might have to copy you guys :)
Go for it!
Mine said something like "in case of emergency please do not inject me. Please ring an ambulance instead" better to be safe than sorry!!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I read the first bit as an insulin pen will help if they are hypo & the whole second section scares me 'some people do have high blood sugar but giving them a sugary drink is unlikely to do any harm' what if they were in DKA?!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I read the first bit as an insulin pen will help if they are hypo & the whole second section scares me 'some people do have high blood sugar but giving them a sugary drink is unlikely to do any harm' what if they were in DKA?!
Exactly.
In my opinion this advice is scary and I wouldn't want anyone from the Red Cross treating me with this information.
Also makes me wonder if any of their advice for other medical emergencies is incorrect!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly.
In my opinion this advice is scary and I wouldn't want anyone from the Red Cross treating me with this information.
Also makes me wonder if any of their advice for other medical emergencies is incorrect!

The advice is also repeated on their website:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/First-aid/Everyday-First-Aid/Diabetes/Questions-and-answers#

Under the section about what to give the person to eat or drink. It definitely looks like a slip up to me.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they're confusing the two main types of "diabetic emergency": a hypo (too much insulin), for which the treatment is sugar, and DKA (too much sugar) for which the treatment is insulin. Until they clarify which emergency it is, any advice is bound to be contradictory and confusing.

Scary indeed, and potentially lethal - especially if the first dose of insulin in a hypo didn't do any good, so they gave another ... :eek:

"Call an ambulance" would be better advice.

Kate

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest they do not recommend the use of insulin pen only that it's presence may indicate in the absence of id bracelets or such that the person is diabetic.

But if the patient is unresponsive to carry out checks for pulse and breathing then place in recovery position and call an ambulance.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you look on their website, there's no mention of checking for 'diabetic items' as ID. The way the app is written implies the insulin pen is an alternative treatment - what should they be given? Something sweet - sweet drinks, food, or they may have glucose or an insulin pen.

It would be interesting to see what the Red Cross say. There should be absolutely zero ambiguity in medical advice, and a rewrite of that paragraph would remove any confusion very simply.

Reactions: 5 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have looked this is what I found.
Q
How will I know if this is a long-term condition for the person?
Answer
Answer
They should be able to tell you, so listen to what they say. They may have some form of identification on them (e.g. a card, bracelet or necklace) that will give you information about their condition, or they may be carrying an insulin pen, glucose gel or glucose tablets.

C

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been and had a look at the website and there is an option where you can recommend changes to their website so I'm going to fill that out today.

@JohnEGreen you're right, I've just had a look on the website and it does say that finding an insulin pen is an indicator that the person is diabetic, however, if you look at the screenshot in my original post it says that in the 'what should I give them to eat or drink?' Section. It seems that I, and a few others, read the part where it says 'or they may be carrying an insulin pen' as if they are suggesting giving them insulin as it's in the 'what shall I give them' part.
I 100% agree that the insulin pen is fine to be mentioned in the identifying a diabetic part but I don't think it should be in the treating one part.

Claire x

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I do see what you mean that should be really be removed from that section though if responsive I'm sure you would say no to the use of a pen but some one could maybe use the pen thinking it ok if the patient was unable to communicate, it should be made clearer that if the patient is unable to communicate then only sugar should be given if possible or if unconscious normal first aid should be carried out and an ambulance summoned.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've just downloaded the British Red Cross app on my phone and thought I'd test it's reliability by reading the advice it gives to people that are helping those with diabetes.

64095a686ecfa073fdf98ceadc4d628d.jpg

Does anybody else read this as advice to give people insulin if they have it? It's not very clear I don't think

I'm not having a go, or looking to start arguments with this I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that's reading it this way.
Confusing.

Claire x

Edited by a mod to correct name

Hi Claire, it is worrying to read and a definite change needs to be put in place, sooner, rather than later, it's misleading and potentially dangerous information.