Broken bones

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My little one fractured her knee cap Tuesday and we were already playing catch up with insulin due to her going through quite a tricky growth spurt.
I am increasing insulin and informing her team of adjustments but wondered does anyone have any experience in the healing process of broken bones. Is there any difference in healing times etc. Any info would be appreciated as I am in the unknown here. Still waiting to speak to someone in fracture clinic. Thank you xxx

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Gemmablower

Sorry your little one has injured and fractured her knee cap. I have little idea re time it takes for the knee cap to heal and certainly not a clue as to the Type 1 side of this. However, I do know that children heal very much quicker than adults and the same goes regarding bones.

It will very much depend on whether the fracture was displaced or maybe, being such a youngster,maybe it could be a 'greenstick' fracture which, I'm pretty sure, would mend much more quickly.

I suspect your child is in some sort of plaster/brace etc to immobilise her leg? Be sure to keep the leg well supported and elevated, ie heel higher than hips, to help minimise and reduce any swelling, and will also help minimise any pain. This will also help the healing time.

Also, I presume you will be seen in Fracture Clinic tomorrow (Monday) so you would have opportunity to ask questions. If you're anything like me, you'll need to make a written list of what you want to ask - I forget everything I've planned to say!!! ;)

Wishing you all the best. You will cope with all of this and it won't be long before she is running around again, but it will seem years away just now. She'll be fine, eh? ;)

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Gemmablower

Sorry your little one has injured and fractured her knee cap. I have little idea re time it takes for the knee cap to heal and certainly not a clue as to the Type 1 side of this. However, I do know that children heal very much quicker than adults and the same goes regarding bones.

It will very much depend on whether the fracture was displaced or maybe, being such a youngster,maybe it could be a 'greenstick' fracture which, I'm pretty sure, would mend much more quickly.

I suspect your child is in some sort of plaster/brace etc to immobilise her leg? Be sure to keep the leg well supported and elevated, ie heel higher than hips, to help minimise and reduce any swelling, and will also help minimise any pain. This will also help the healing time.

Also, I presume you will be seen in Fracture Clinic tomorrow (Monday) so you would have opportunity to ask questions. If you're anything like me, you'll need to make a written list of what you want to ask - I forget everything I've planned to say!!! ;)

Wishing you all the best. You will cope with all of this and it won't be long before she is running around again, but it will seem years away just now. She'll be fine, eh? ;)
Hi @Energize

Thank you for your reply.
Oh yes i am building my list of questions!:)
Little one is under the age for crutches and the fracture doesn’t require a cast which is a relief, although, I am quite concerned as they provided no support brace or anything. So little one is currently trying to hop everywhere until I support her and she is sometimes baring some weight. Up till now she has not been able to bend her leg but can slightly today when sitting down and I have no idea if that’s the right thing to do or not.

I can’t remember the type of fracture, the radiologist said it was rare and doesn’t normally see them in children so she was surprised to find it. She thought it would heal by itself though which sounds positive.
Yes you are right, fracture clinic is tomorrow so they are calling me when they have looked at the X-rays. I will be able to find out exactly everything I need to then. xx

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh bless her. If she is hopping around a bit, it would suggest it's not too painful, perhaps. That's a blessing in itself, eh? The knee cap (patella) isn't a weight-bearing bone but the patella is within the tendon/mucle area over the knee which helps to keep the knee straight. So, if she is able to put some weight through it instinctively without it hurting, it's probably not an issue.

If she's managing to bend her knee, even slightly, I think it suggest the swelling is going down a bit. Until you have had instructions from the doctors at the hospital, she probably shouldn't be doing too much in the way of weight-bearing or bending it, just in case. If she is tending to do more, mention it to the doctors tomorrow in case they feel she should have some sort of brace on to hold the knee straight when trying to get about.

Best of luck. Sounds as if she's coping really well. I'd be very interested to hear what the doctors have to say tomorrow, if you happen to think to post back here :)

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Gemmablower , I'm sorry to hear your little one is injured. If it helps at all, I fractured my ankle nearly 2 years ago, and it healed fine. (nothing as nasty sounding as a knee cap), I'd been T1 for 40 years at that point. I hope all goes well tomorrow. x

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update guys, it was not a fracture! Painful and bruised and needed icing but thank goodness no fracture... the consultant said that with children the part of the knee cap the a+e staff showed us as broken, was actually not formed yet due to age.
So we are able now to enjoy the holidays! xx

Reactions: Bildad