Bruising After Blood Test

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Having been diabetic now for around 6 years I am no stranger to blood tests and they have never bothered me in the past and only rarely in the past have I suffered a small amount of bruising but I had a test last week and I could feel an ache from my elbow to my shoulder while the blood was being taken and I remember thinking "this is going to leave a bruise" but then forgot all about it.

A day or so later a bruise did indeed appear and got worse over the next few days, and even now 6 days later it still looks like this!!

bruise.jpg

I cant ever remember having a bruise like this before and up until yesterday it was really quite sore and itchy....

On the bright side I had been a little apprehensive about the results as it has been 12 months since my last blood test but I just phoned and got the results and they are all excellent still despite my not even testing myself more than a couple of times a month recently.

HbA1c................................34 mmol/mol or 5.3%
Total cholesterol.................4.1 mmol/L
HDL ratio............................2.41

The only slight negative is my trigs have risen to 1.4 mmol/L but theyre still in range, just higher than they have been in the past.

So a great result but definitely a badly bodged blood test!!!

G

gemma6549

Well done on the result :)

I only ever had one bruise that similar to yours extended all the way to my wrist. It was when i was first diagnosed and they took blood from the artery as well as the vein. The guy was wiggling it around in there for a long time trying to find it!!

Hope it heals soon.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Having been diabetic now for around 6 years I am no stranger to blood tests and they have never bothered me in the past and only rarely in the past have I suffered a small amount of bruising but I had a test last week and I could feel an ache from my elbow to my shoulder while the blood was being taken and I remember thinking "this is going to leave a bruise" but then forgot all about it.

A day or so later a bruise did indeed appear and got worse over the next few days, and even now 6 days later it still looks like this!!

bruise.jpg

I cant ever remember having a bruise like this before and up until yesterday it was really quite sore and itchy....

On the bright side I had been a little apprehensive about the results as it has been 12 months since my last blood test but I just phoned and got the results and they are all excellent still despite my not even testing myself more than a couple of times a month recently.

HbA1c................................34 mmol/mol or 5.3%
Total cholesterol.................4.1 mmol/L
HDL ratio............................2.41

The only slight negative is my trigs have risen to 1.4 mmol/L but theyre still in range, just higher than they have been in the past.

So a great result but definitely a badly bodged blood test!!!
Ho took the blood "dracula" :)

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I always tend to bruise after a blood test, although not as bad as yours. One tip I've learned is to hold my arm up above my head immediately afterwards. I find this helps enormously. Ok, not always possible if you're being ushered out of the room to make way for the next victim, but if the nurse is busy writing up all the labels to go on the samples, then there's your chance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The bruise is due to loss of blood where the needle went in, by applying pressure to the point and keeping it on for a minute or two reduces the chances of bruising but never eliminates it completely, I always apply pressure longer than the nurse recommends and it works to some degree.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Nigel - my phlebotomist told me to apply pressure to the area for some time to reduce the chance of bruising.

Reactions: 5 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
@noblehead & @robert72 I did all the holding down of the cotton wool pad while applying pressure after the blood test as I always do but I think because I felt this ache up my arm when he was taking the blood that he may have initially put the needle right through the vein so some blood leaked out around the injection site, well thats all I can think of anyway.

As I said before Ive never experienced bruising like this before but whenever I have suffered any small bruising in the past and its always when I can feel an ache up my arm as the blood is taken, its almost as if I know when I will get a bruise....Dont know if anyone else has experienced this?

Thankfully its stopped aching today so I guess its getting better :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One tip I've learned is to hold my arm up above my head immediately afterwards. I find this helps enormously. Ok, not always possible if you're being ushered out of the room to make way for the next victim, but if the nurse is busy writing up all the labels to go on the samples, then there's your chance.

Next visit I make I shall look out for someone holding their arm up over their head, and say hello ;)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I once tried to be a blood donor, never again. First she couldn't find where to get it from and god knows what she did, but the crook of my elbow swelled up like a balloon. The blood donor folk even had to ring me to see if I was ok. But I usually bruise no matter what I do.
And well done on your readings Sid.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done on the result :)

I only ever had one bruise that similar to yours extended all the way to my wrist. It was when i was first diagnosed and they took blood from the artery as well as the vein. The guy was wiggling it around in there for a long time trying to find it!!

Hope it heals soon.

Thanks it does seem to be healing now as it no longer itches or aches.

It must have been awful to have a bruise all the way down to your wrist, mine was about 10cm x 10cm (4" x 4") and that was bad enough...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I once tried to be a blood donor, never again. First she couldn't find where to get it from and god knows what she did, but the crook of my elbow swelled up like a balloon. The blood donor folk even had to ring me to see if I was ok. But I usually bruise no matter what I do.
And well done on your readings Sid.

Thanks Dawn

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood tests are a nightmare for me.My vains move, disappear, and when the needle is finally in.......they collapse. :shy::shy:.
They usually have to dig around a bit. Looks like I've been whacked with a baseball bat..:sorry:. And it bl**dy hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Blood tests are a nightmare for me.My vains move, disappear, and when the needle is finally in.......they collapse. :shy::shy:.
They usually has to dig around a bit. Looks like I've been whacked with a baseball bat..:sorry:. And it bl**dy hurts.

Oh well at least I'm not alone then and for me it doesnt happen every time so I suppose I should be grateful..

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Sounds like the phlebotomist hit a blood vessel and damaged it.
Bruising
Mild bruising around the area where the needle went into the vein is fairly common after a blood test; however, in some rare cases, more severe bruising may develop. Severe bruising is usually caused by a lack of pressure being applied to the site of the wound after the needle has been removed (applying a cotton wool pad to the wound helps to stem the bleeding, which will reduce the risk of bruising) but it may also be caused by damage to the vein when the needle was inserted.
http://www.medic8.com/blood-disorders/blood-test/risks-of-blood-tests.html

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
They usually have to dig around a bit. Looks like I've been whacked with a baseball bat..:sorry:. And it bl**dy hurts.

Ditto, they have even gone into my neck in the past while n hospital.

I would make a rubbish junkie :)

G

gemma6549

Thanks it does seem to be healing now as it no longer itches or aches.

It must have been awful to have a bruise all the way down to your wrist, mine was about 10cm x 10cm (4" x 4") and that was bad enough...

i was 16 at the time and it got me out of doing P.E at school for a week so cant complain :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same problem - they usually end up digging 3 times in each arm and then only manage to get enough to fill one of the vials. Needless to say I normally end up with a bruise or two.

Reactions: 2 people