brussel sprouts

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I have garlic infused oil that is so yummy on anything, especially veggies and fish. It has such a smooth garlic flavor. Not pungent like fresh garlic and no chopping, just pour lol
Hi again will look out for that when out shopping,much appreciated!K

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to make a huge pan of a variety of veggies like bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, beans, sprouts, asp, cauliflower, broccoli and roasted with oil salt and pepper and eat it through the week. Now I’m craving sprouts!!! Gotta get some

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I used to make a huge pan of a variety of veggies like bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, beans, sprouts, asp, cauliflower, broccoli and roasted with oil salt and pepper and eat it through the week. Now I’m craving sprouts!!! Gotta get some
Any recipes or meal ideas are very welcome I like to try new ideas and have a variety of foods,
We are having chicken curry tonight but I'm having cauliflower rice with mine instead of pilau rice I also spiralize courgettes instead of pasta. Thanks K.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any recipes or meal ideas are very welcome I like to try new ideas and have a variety of foods,
We are having chicken curry tonight but I'm having cauliflower rice with mine instead of pilau rice I also spiralize courgettes instead of pasta. Thanks K.
What kind of recipes or ideas? I love oregano and sage on veggies too. I’m part of a co op that has garlic, Italian herb, lemon and basil infused expeller pressed olive oil. Very lucky and they’re all delicious. I keep meals simple but very flavorful. I did my time in the kitchen when the kids were home.
In the summer I love basil and lemon. Cold months are more garlic and oregano/ sage / rosemary.

I make an awesome mushroom based lc gravy/ soup with no flours or thickeners. Mushrooms are the base. If you’re interested I’ll give you the recipe

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like the roasted sprouts try roasting cabbage. Cut slices across the grain and lay them onto a baking sheet, season with pepper and anything else you fancy and add lard around the edges, oil over the top, roast gently until just soft enough - personal tastes may vary. Some boil bacon for a minute - to reduce the salt and preservatives, then dry it off in a frying pan and put it on top of the cabbage - but I would not want to influence choices unduly.
Some people put beefburgers or poached eggs on top of their cabbage.

Sounds great, will give this a try for sure.
Many thanks
Hj

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What kind of recipes or ideas? I love oregano and sage on veggies too. I’m part of a co op that has garlic, Italian herb, lemon and basil infused expeller pressed olive oil. Very lucky and they’re all delicious. I keep meals simple but very flavorful. I did my time in the kitchen when the kids were home.
In the summer I love basil and lemon. Cold months are more garlic and oregano/ sage / rosemary.

I make an awesome mushroom based lc gravy/ soup with no flours or thickeners. Mushrooms are the base. If you’re interested I’ll give you the recipe
Hi Kristin251 sorry I had to leave quickly grandson is on nights and goes to work 6.30 pm so I needed to get the curry on so he had his meal before work.
The gravy sounds lovely and yes please send me the recipe would so come in handy for homemade soups and casseroles, it's so nice of you. K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being newly diagnosed, no idea if sprouts are healthy or not, but..

Remember, sprouts are for life, not just xmas!

Secret for me is cooking them properly, ie how you like their texture. But I used to love leftover sprouts, bacon and chippolatas with some nice, rich gravy & some pepper for Boxing day. Of course families usually quickly discover there's no such thing as left over bacon & sausages.. unless you buy extra and hide them. But the poor sprout's had a bad rep. Mange toute's are trendy, mange cabbage gets the hate. But being a mini-cabbage, anything you can do with that, you should be able to do with a sprout. Except possibly bowling. Mini-bowls maybe with carrots for bowling pins? :)
Hi @first14808, The sprout grows above ground so any veg grown above ground is best for diabetics those vegetables grown underground less desirable, this is the information on this site for diabetics, just a snippet of information for you. K

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is delicious and freezes well. Admittedly I concocted it with a martini in hand so I’ll give you my best effort with quantities. I make it thicker for gravy and thinner for soup.
I used 2 packages of mushrooms. One white and one porabella.
I’d guess. 32 oz broth. Add, sip martini, taste, add, sip, taste so not sure. You could use water too but broth gives it a bit more depth.
Garlic and onion or green onion to taste. You could use garlic/ onion powder as well. I used garlic oil in lieu of fresh

Lots of fresh / frozen oregano and sage ( I buy fresh, chop with a scissors and freeze so I just heaped it in )

Sauté mushrooms and onions. Dump in blender or food processor with the juices and some broth. Add garlic and herbs. If you use fresh garlic I would add some oil and / melted butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue adding broth to desired consistency. After freezing I like to add a touch of butter to thicken it and give it more richness as it can get a little watery after defrosting.

Sip, taste, add, sip, taste add. Repeat until it tastes right.

So ingred are
Mushrooms
Onions
Garlic
Sage and oregano
Olive oil
Butter
Broth.
And a martini or wine.

Hope you enjoy it !! I LOVE gravy but all of it is thickened with nasties and full of junk. I’m vlc so this suits me very well and we were eating it with a spoon. I know @Salvia has made it several times and enjoys it.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Sorry @ kirstin251 I'm on and off the site at moment ideas of recipes for main meals and low carb lunches, but mains more, I like to cook when time allows and experience new recipes to try out. Many on this site love to try new things so I'm sure the recipes will be picked up on by others, just seen hankjam has picked up on the Brussels ideas. That's what makes this diabetic site unique we all help in different ways each other, look forward to hearing from you. Regards Kathleen

Last edited:

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is delicious and freezes well. Admittedly I concocted it with a martini in hand so I’ll give you my best effort with quantities. I make it thicker for gravy and thinner for soup.
I used 2 packages of mushrooms. One white and one porabella.
I’d guess. 32 oz broth. Add, sip martini, taste, add, sip, taste so not sure. You could use water too but broth gives it a bit more depth.
Garlic and onion or green onion to taste. You could use garlic/ onion powder as well. I used garlic oil in lieu of fresh

Lots of fresh / frozen oregano and sage ( I buy fresh, chop with a scissors and freeze so I just heaped it in )

Sauté mushrooms and onions. Dump in blender or food processor with the juices and some broth. Add garlic and herbs. If you use fresh garlic I would add some oil and / melted butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue adding broth to desired consistency. After freezing I like to add a touch of butter to thicken it and give it more richness as it can get a little watery after defrosting.

Sip, taste, add, sip, taste add. Repeat until it tastes right.

So ingred are
Mushrooms
Onions
Garlic
Sage and oregano
Olive oil
Butter
Broth.
And a martini or wine.

Hope you enjoy it !! I LOVE gravy but all of it is thickened with nasties and full of junk. I’m vlc so this suits me very well and we were eating it with a spoon. I know @Salvia has made it several times and enjoys it.
Just printed off the recipe! K

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You won't regret making Kristin's mushroom gravy/soup, @Granny_grump_, it's brilliant, really yummy & moorish and such a simple recipe. I have made it several times now, and it's become a regular part of my diet - which is pretty good for me, coz I hate cooking or "messing about" with food, and always do whatever is the easiest/quickest I can get away with. I had actually stopped having gravy at all since I started low carb, but now thanks to @Kristin251 I can enjoy it again. Lovely :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You won't regret making Kristin's mushroom gravy/soup, @Granny_grump_, it's brilliant, really yummy & moorish and such a simple recipe. I have made it several times now, and it's become a regular part of my diet - which is pretty good for me, coz I hate cooking or "messing about" with food, and always do whatever is the easiest/quickest I can get away with. I had actually stopped having gravy at all since I started low carb, but now thanks to @Kristin251 I can enjoy it again. Lovely :)
Hi Salvia, Kristin251 said you had made the gravy recipe I'm so looking forward to giving it a try,hopefully this weekend but depending if we eat at home or eat out unsure at moment. Hubby has had a rare few days holiday and we have been out and about so we may end the break with a lunch out. Will let you know! K

Reactions: Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Like the martini bit! K
Haha. It makes me creative! But then I never know what I did!!! I never follow recipes. Just make things up as I go. I’m goimg out for a bit but I’ll conjur some ideas up? How low carb are you? I’m vlc, 20 or less per day.
I don’t make casserole type things as I don’t know how much protein, fat etc I’m eating.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never follow recipes. Just make things up as I go.

That's what makes it interesting, coz though I follow your receipe, it ends up with a different amount of each item for every batch, so that makes the flavours a bit different each time. What you actually get is a whole different gravy every time - enhanced by imbibing the "secret ingredient" (hic!)

I'm off out too, bbl. :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Haha. It makes me creative! But then I never know what I did!!! I never follow recipes. Just make things up as I go. I’m goimg out for a bit but I’ll conjur some ideas up? How low carb are you? I’m vlc, 20 or less per day.
I don’t make casserole type things as I don’t know how much protein, fat etc I’m eating.
Hi Kirsten251
I have been on the low carb high fat diet for 12 months with intermittent fasting though I'm just 3lb from my own target weight but recently developed gout from too much protein and my cholesterol has gone up from 4.5 to 7.5 due to high fat in diet. So now I've had to go back to low carb low fat diet to try and avoid more gout attacks,and it seem to be working. Unlike some people I don't wish to lose too much weight now has I'm just in my 70 s and I would not look right at the weight when I was young,so I set myself a goal of getting to a size 16 and this weekend I bought two pairs of size 16s trousers so I'm really pleased with this. Will probably try to still lose upto half a stone more to be well in 16s range of clothes then I will have lost over a 2 year period over 4 stone in weight,its taken so long to achieve this because like a lot of people I used to get disheartened from time to time and go off the diet.But I'm so very pleased to have so little now to lose,but it's getting harder to lose these last few pounds. I'm not strict with myself and we go out to eat and have the occasional treat so not sure how much longer this will take. Now I love casseroles has I eat less carbs and more vegetables to fill up on,it seems to work for me when nothing else has and my BG is in range and by doing this the weight loss was a bonus. We are all different and counting carbs or calories would do my head in so I kind of do my own thing low carb was either no carbs or say 2 small potatoes or a slice of bread at my first meal of the day, lunch time and fasting from 5.30 pm to lunch following day. Are you doing low carb to lose weight or trying to control BG! and how long have you been doing this. Kathleen

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirsten251
I have been on the low carb high fat diet for 12 months with intermittent fasting though I'm just 3lb from my own target weight but recently developed gout from too much protein and my cholesterol has gone up from 4.5 to 7.5 due to high fat in diet. So now I've had to go back to low carb low fat diet to try and avoid more gout attacks,and it seem to be working. Unlike some people I don't wish to lose too much weight now has I'm just in my 70 s and I would not look right at the weight when I was young,so I set myself a goal of getting to a size 16 and this weekend I bought two pairs of size 16s trousers so I'm really pleased with this. Will probably try to still lose upto half a stone more to be well in 16s range of clothes then I will have lost over a 2 year period over 4 stone in weight,its taken so long to achieve this because like a lot of people I used to get disheartened from time to time and go off the diet.But I'm so very pleased to have so little now to lose,but it's getting harder to lose these last few pounds. I'm not strict with myself and we go out to eat and have the occasional treat so not sure how much longer this will take. Now I love casseroles has I eat less carbs and more vegetables to fill up on,it seems to work for me when nothing else has and my BG is in range and by doing this the weight loss was a bonus. We are all different and counting carbs or calories would do my head in so I kind of do my own thing low carb was either no carbs or say 2 small potatoes or a slice of bread at my first meal of the day, lunch time and fasting from 5.30 pm to lunch following day. Are you doing low carb to lose weight or trying to control BG! and how long have you been doing this. Kathleen
Hi Kathleen,
I have been vlc (20 or less ) for over 25 years as i just feel better this way. I do not need to lose weight. I’m 5’8 and 121#’s ( 55 kg. Not sure where your from)
I keep my protein low to modest as I have kidney stones so for me about 5 oz a day divided into 4- 5 small meals. My meals are based on some protein and some avocado. 1/3 avo with each main meal. Then I add a few veggies. As of 3 years ago I am now LADA and insulin dependent. To be honest, I think my years of low carbing and exercise postponed the inevitable for quite some time. I do low carb as my stomach hates them as much as my bg and I just feel much better without them. At DX they had me eating 20 per meal and I gained SO MUCH WEIGHT AND FAST. I was using sweet potato and black beans. Not to mention i was in a perpetual state of bloat. I don’t even have to chew carbs, just glue them to my butt cuz that’s where they end up. I’ve been in the same size pants forever. Probably 20 years and I’m 53.
My diet is 80% fat but it’s from an entire avo, the bigger the better, a day, olive oil, mayo and some nuts. Then 5 oz protein (15%) and 5% carbs from green veggies. And it doesn’t bore me. I love gooey creamy food. Being on insulin and low carb I have to account for protein and carbs so casseroles are impossible. Though they were my favorite.
I used to LOVE to cook and felt the big D stole it from me, and it did, but Ive found ways to make meals just as tasty without the carbs. For instance , I used to make stuffed mannicoti. Now I just take all the cheeses , herbs and sauce and top chicken or fish with it.
I was trying to think of recipes but my menu is simple. Avocado, some seasoned protein and a few veg. Sea salt is my thing.
However, now that I know you’re higher carb than me I can come up with a few things. Oh and blended orange or lemon hollandaise sauce is fab. I’ll dig out the recipe. So easy and keeps in the fridge for days. I’ll get my thinking cap on. Oh, and smashed baby potato in garlic butter ! They get crispy ! I’ll live vicariously through you haha.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
rosemary roasted sweet potatoes. Chunk potato , add olive oil, S&P, rosemary (lots) and garlic. Roast 425 for about 25-30 min. Add onion and celery if desired. You could also add protein in. Last thanksgiving I made ‘turkey slop’ with the leftovers. Martini in hand I heated chopped turkey, gravy, those sweet potatoes, green beans, butter and stirred it all together. Best thanksgiving stew ever!

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Kathleen,
I have been vlc (20 or less ) for over 25 years as i just feel better this way. I do not need to lose weight. I’m 5’8 and 121#’s ( 55 kg. Not sure where your from)
I keep my protein low to modest as I have kidney stones so for me about 5 oz a day divided into 4- 5 small meals. My meals are based on some protein and some avocado. 1/3 avo with each main meal. Then I add a few veggies. As of 3 years ago I am now LADA and insulin dependent. To be honest, I think my years of low carbing and exercise postponed the inevitable for quite some time. I do low carb as my stomach hates them as much as my bg and I just feel much better without them. At DX they had me eating 20 per meal and I gained SO MUCH WEIGHT AND FAST. I was using sweet potato and black beans. Not to mention i was in a perpetual state of bloat. I don’t even have to chew carbs, just glue them to my butt cuz that’s where they end up. I’ve been in the same size pants forever. Probably 20 years and I’m 53.
My diet is 80% fat but it’s from an entire avo, the bigger the better, a day, olive oil, mayo and some nuts. Then 5 oz protein (15%) and 5% carbs from green veggies. And it doesn’t bore me. I love gooey creamy food. Being on insulin and low carb I have to account for protein and carbs so casseroles are impossible. Though they were my favorite.
I used to LOVE to cook and felt the big D stole it from me, and it did, but Ive found ways to make meals just as tasty without the carbs. For instance , I used to make stuffed mannicoti. Now I just take all the cheeses , herbs and sauce and top chicken or fish with it.
I was trying to think of recipes but my menu is simple. Avocado, some seasoned protein and a few veg. Sea salt is my thing.Hi Kristin251
However, now that I know you’re higher carb than me I can come up with a few things. Oh and blended orange or lemon hollandaise sauce is fab. I’ll dig out the recipe. So easy and keeps in the fridge for days. I’ll get my thinking cap on. Oh, and smashed baby potato in garlic butter ! They get crispy ! I’ll live vicariously through you haha.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Kathleen,
I was trying to think of recipes but my menu is simple. Avocado, some seasoned protein and a few veg. Sea salt is my thing.
@Kristin251 I live in UK you have found a way to keep under control and that's great, I've been type2 diabetic for 17 years mostly diet controlled with a few years on metformin,managed to lose weight and my doctor took me off all meds and I've never been back on diabetic meds.
Like you I control BG with diet and because of recent problems with gout I have had to change what I eat so I cut back on protein and trying to re introduce a few carbs,the high fat diet also caused higher cholesterol and my doctor was not pleased when I refused to go on statins,but 6 months later it's gone from 4.5 before higher fats to 7.5 so Three weeks ago I started statins. I hate the side effect of these tablets muscle cramps, itching skin so when I get cholesterol down I'm coming off the statins and will try to stay low fat to keep levels down. I noticed you have quite an high fat diet how is your cholesterol levels no what does your doctor say bout raised cholesterol in people in US is it different to here!
Not sure I could be total vegetarian but I do eat more vegetables than I used to,and has to the weight thing I've always struggled with my weight especially since becoming diabetic, the NHS wants us all to eat carbs I don't agree with this so on finding this site I follow the advice on here and it's working for me for the first time in my life and I'm 71 years of age. Just a number not a state of mind,definitely don't feel 71 older and greyer but not in head! Haha!
Thanks for your foodie ideas will be giving them a try and do keep in touch, look after yourself hopefully will speak with you again soon. Kathleen