BS keeps increasing without having any food

volkan

Hello all.

I was diagnosed as T1D in October 2020. I am on Toujeo and NovoRapid and I had my second dose of Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago.
The strange thing is that, for the last 3 days, even though I do not eat anything between testing, my BS keeps increasing. For example, it went from 5.9 to 9.8 between 2 hours after lunch and before dinner, approximately in 3 hours.

Anyone having similar situation or can somebody explain why something like this happens?

Thanks.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There’s no single answer.

It’s not totally unheard for food to spike blood sugar after the two hour mark. Like it doesn’t usually happen, but it can. This could due to either the food or just how your body’s digesting it.

Similarly, if you Insulin to food ratio is off, it wouldn’t be completely out of the question for your blood sugar to continue to rise after the two hour mark.

Also myself and other have experienced an issue with the immune response to the Vaccine where our requirements for Basal Insulin increased.

Which of these options it is will depend on a lot of things. So I won’t bombard you with questions.

volkan

Thank you for answer StewM.

Maybe I put it in the incorrect way.

It is not like BS always increases. It drops at 2 hour mark as I take insulin. But when I measure it before the next meal, I see that it increased without any food intake.

I had similar effect after the first dose but it started the very next day and I was happy that I did not get high BS in the first 2 weeks of the second dose. But maybe that is how my body responds to the second dose, with delay.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for answer StewM.

Maybe I put it in the incorrect way.

It is not like BS always increases. It drops at 2 hour mark as I take insulin. But when I measure it before the next meal, I see that it increased without any food intake.

I had similar effect after the first dose but it started the very next day and I was happy that I did not get high BS in the first 2 weeks of the second dose. But maybe that is how my body responds to the second dose, with delay.
Oh yeah, it’s perfectly reasonable to expect your blood sugar to drop around the 2 hour mark. However, all the reasons I cited above could cause the Blood Sugar to continue to rise past that point.

Yeah, unfortunately, we don’t have enough information to know precisely why some are experiencing this issue and some aren’t. Similarly it seems to vary massively how much it effects people, and for how long.

So it’s not outwith the bounds of possibility the effect’s just been more delayed this time round.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

Could it just be that the vaccine has caused your basal needs to increase for a while? Or, given the recentness of your diagnosis, you may need more basal because your honeymoon period is ending....