BS readings

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Tonight before tea I was 6.3 2 hrs later after scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms and 2 "Be good to yourself" sausages I am 6.7 :)

New lancets have arrived so I will start doing some extra check in the coming days

Reactions: 9 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are regularly not eating enough, you are far more likely to fall head first into a carb-tastic feast. I try to ensure I don't go too hungry, too often, or I start looking at all sorts of rubbish in an inappropriate way.
I'm finding I'm simply not hungry during the day, if I do eat it's because if I don't I know I won't meet my calorie needs .

I'm trying to be on a LCHF diet, but not quite hitting my protein goals, I'm hitting the fats ok , I'm usually below goal of 46g carbs a day, but I do need to tweak it as over the week I'm running really low on calories . I watched lots of videos, read tons of posts on LCHF, I know in my heart it's working regarding my BG , I'm less worried about the high fat part now, after watching the videos, but it is still a little counter intuitive as I have spent 15 years watching my cholesterol and I'm putting a lot of faith in this diet that it doesn't mess up my arteries. I fully intend to ask my GP for a full cholesterol test after 3 months . The good news is ive lost almost 1.1/2 stone since diagnosis in June this year, and 6lbs since I started monitoring and reducing my carb intake.

Sorry for rambling and nicking the thread....yet again :p

Reactions: 9 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hit 9.1 after a Greggs Christmas bake, but I did drop back to 4 later.
The amount of carbs eaten in the days before affect the readings, I'm on a reduced carb diet as well, not down to that level, and only reduced as I am on 800 calories, so I'm wondering if I'd be better or worse if I re-acclimatise to more carbs.
I'm looking forward to testing that :)
:) myfitnesspal reckons I should be on a minimum of 1200 a day , I've set it at 1400 but never get there, well except for today lol, I usually hit 800 -900 and just not hungry. I upped it because I was feeling washed out, weak and wobbly , still am but I'm putting it down to the x2 500mg of metformin every day, in the hope I'll settle into it.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
H,i More readings,
1.36pm Lunch Piri Piri Mackeral (warm) Tomatoe Olives 6 Avocado. 2 x Ryvita Crisp Bread spread with Phillidelfia cream cheese, a little mayo.
Before 4.7 After unable to take.
8.37pm Dinner Rib Eye Steak (sm) Onions Pepper Corgette Mushrooms.
Before (but forgot and had 3 to 4 mouthfulls before testing) 6.8, tested 1hr 6.1, 2hrs 5.8

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A strange day for me today .
5 fasting
4.8 pre lunch
4.6 in afternoon after lunch of ham and cheese savoury salad and a soya latte
4.3 before dinner of chilli with kidney beans and 1/2 taco shell and cheese
Couldn't test at 2 hrs because in cinema stuffing face with some of mr Ethyl's dark chocolate with nuts ( and I mean stuffing!! ) but tested just before bed and at 4.8 which I'm amazed at given the consumption of chocolate combined with sitting on by bum for over two hours.

Reactions: 10 people

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not a good one tonight, 6.4 pre dinner, 12.9 2hrs after

Well that is Fajitas of the menu for the future then :(

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting was a neat 5 didn't test post lunch as it was tried and tested ham and cheese on the way out to the doctors to have a little minor surgery. Was 5.6 before dinner, 5.8 after and now going to bed on 4.5 - decent day !

Reactions: 3 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confused with all these threads I think I posted my last figures on another thread earlier in error, but I need to repost.
Bedtime was 5.2
Fasting was 5.1
After Breakfast 1hr 7.0 2hrs 6.7
Before Lunch 4.5
After Lunch 2hrs 6.2
All going well then
Before Dinner 5.2 Cod in home made tomatoe sauce, peppers onions. 1 sm slice of Luv life bread & butter
1 Hour Later 8.2 don't know where that came from, 1/2 playing badminton
2 Hour Later 5.2 Playing Badminton 11/2 hrs
4 Hour Later 5.8 eaten nothing?
I havn't done one hour after meals before and to date my figures have been pretty good but seeing what is happening inbetween I am going to have to experiment on the one hour testing.

Reactions: 4 people

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a bad day today.

Morning reading. 5.6 (Good)

Post breakfast 5.6 (Good)

Had some coconut Greek style yogurt. 80mls

Pre lunch reading 7.2 (Bad)

Post lunch 5.7 (Good)

Pre Dinner. 4.9 (Very Good)

Dinner Salmon, about handful oven chips and peas

Post dinner 8.0 (Very Bad)

8.30pm had some more of the yogurt. 100mls. ( didn't register why reading was high before lunch but have now)

10.30 reading 7.1 (Bad)

I think the rest of the yogurt can go in the bin and I will not be having the oven chips again.

Hope for a better day tomorrow

Reactions: 3 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a bad day today.

Post lunch 5.7 (Good)

8.30pm had some more of the yogurt. 100mls. ( didn't register why reading was high before lunch but have now)

10.30 reading 7.1 (Bad)

I think the rest of the yogurt can go in the bin and I will not be having the oven chips again.

Those chips...the little sod pots they are :) but it's just a day...how many times do we tell ourselves we will be good tomorrow.?

On the positive side, you know what spikes you, it's not the base figure I worry about, it's the size of the spike.
you're monitoring regularly and having some gorgeous meals.

Hang in there Rosie, it's not too bad :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I havn't done one hour after meals before and to date my figures have been pretty good but seeing what is happening inbetween I am going to have to experiment on the one hour testing.

Prepare yourself for some shocks. I had a 6.1 at 2 hours recently, but I had been 10 at 1hr 18 minutes and still 8.9 at 1.5 hours.. Mind you, I deserved it. It was a bad meal (but delicious). The 2 hour reading can be very misleading at times. I now test at 1hr, 2hrs and 2.5hrs. sometimes even 3 hours if necessary. After some meals with a lot of fats I may only go up to the low 6's, but I stay up there for 3 hours or more. As I am usually down to high 4's before my next meal I could so easily miss these 3+ hours of being in the 6's.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prepare yourself for some shocks. I had a 6.1 at 2 hours recently, but I had been 10 at 1hr 18 minutes and still 8.9 at 1.5 hours.. Mind you, I deserved it. It was a bad meal (but delicious). The 2 hour reading can be very misleading at times. I now test at 1hr, 2hrs and 2.5hrs. sometimes even 3 hours if necessary. After some meals with a lot of fats I may only go up to the low 6's, but I stay up there for 3 hours or more. As I am usually down to high 4's before my next meal I could so easily miss these 3+ hours of being in the 6's.

Thanks Bluetit, I reeally thought I was cruising, being very carefull what I ate, losing the weight & I can see the figures dropping as the weight comes off, but never imagine that I was getting these highs at 1 Hour. I have been cheking all my foods at 2 hrs so I probably are going to have to start again.
I wouldn't have imagined that these sugars can rise and fall so quickly. Have taken everthing very seriously since bein diagnosed and had felt everything was all going the the right direction but seems I have a long way to go.

alliebee

Not going to repeat yesterdays. Insulin sticking plaster. I'm going to see what the pattern is. No way the novorapid was still working at bedtime. Went to bed lovely and low.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
After last nights 12.9, I have just tested and I am back down to 7. Let see if I can keep it around there for the day

Reactions: 6 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well a trip to the gp in order Monday. I've woke up with another high. Not so bad as yesterday but still a 12 which is unwarranted
Bless you alliebee, glad you are planning a trip to the doctor on Monday. Maybe the best idea to not have your "sticking plaster" today to get a picture of what's happening (you could have the large one that's very annoying on the back of my neck :mad: )

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a bad day today.

Post lunch 5.7 (Good)

10.30 reading 7.1 (Bad)

The oven chips and peas are devils there Rosie! Was your yoghurt low fat? That's a culprit too, full fat better.