Bs up and down. Pre diabetic

Markroberts34

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello. Since being diognosed pre diabetic I took it upon myself to start testing. At first not very often but in the last few weeks my bs has been up and down. As high as 20 (post prandial )and as low as 4 before my next meal but sometimes over 7 before meals. I find these to be quite irratic but doctor ensures I’m still in prediabeties stage as my hba1c is 37

Any info would be appreciated

Markroberts34

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello. Since being diognosed pre diabetic I took it upon myself to start testing. At first not very often but in the last few weeks my bs has been up and down. As high as 20 (post prandial )and as low as 4 before my next meal but sometimes over 7 before meals. I find these to be quite irratic but doctor ensures I’m still in prediabeties stage as my hba1c is 37

Any info would be appreciated

Also I know 37 is in normal range

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Testing like you are is erratic and only a snapshot of how high your blood glucose levels are at that time.
To get the best value and worth out of your strips, it has to be regimented and recorded in a food diary.
Depending on what stage you are at, the prediabetic stage should be finding out which foods make you spike so high, so you test pre meal, then two hours later after first bite.
If your meal is above 2mmols above pre meal, then a part of the meal is not good for your blood glucose levels. And either reduced in portion size or not eaten at all.
It is usually the carbs and sugars in that meal.

Only by this method will you gain good control and avoidance of diabetes later on.

Hopefully you have already started reducing your carbs and portion size.

Best wishes

Markroberts34

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
So far since testing I’ve found that white bread and potatoes spike me but I’m also on a weight loss plan to lose weigh but hav
Not been told to cut carbs nor reduce portion sizes.
I was told to make heathy swaps. Sweetener for sugar. Fruit for sugary snack and no added sugar/sugar free products.

That was mainly the extent of it since being diagnosed.

I’m just concerned that my fasting tests are between 5.5 and 8.9. Cam see them slowly creeping and post prandial meal testing 2 hours after between 8 and 20. And I’ve spoke to my doctor who says she isn’t concerned about my highs or lows as hba1c is good

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So far since testing I’ve found that white bread and potatoes spike me but I’m also on a weight loss plan to lose weigh but hav
I was told to make heathy swaps. Sweetener for sugar. Fruit for sugary snack and no added sugar/sugar free products.

I’m just concerned that my fasting tests are between 5.5 and 8.9. Cam see them slowly creeping and post prandial meal testing 2 hours after between 8 and 20. And I’ve spoke to my doctor who says she isn’t concerned about my highs or lows as hba1c is good

I believe that reducing your carbs now and changing your diet to a more healthy one for you is the best way forward.
Those choices are not going to alter the fact that you have intolerance to certain foods. The fact that you know that bread spikes you.
Is it because you eat too much bread with too many spuds and not enough low carb alternatives to stop you from spiking too high?

If you want to get even better hba1c levels and prevent diabetes, a change in the amount of carbs is critical in doing that.
Once you get your levels back down, your weight loss down and your health back, then you can enjoy your carbs again.
But if you do, you really won't want to, just in case. It reoccurs.

Has anyone mentioned fats?
Did you know low fat is much worse than full fat dairy?
It is the sugar in it!

Or that, everything you eat turns to glucose for use as energy, the quicker the carbs, the higher spikes you get, the higher the GI, the quicker they metabolism.

The lower the carb the slower the spike and the less impact on your blood glucose levels.

Fruit in small pieces is fine, too much will effect your blood glucose levels.
It all depends on what readings you get.

Eat to your meter.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you hit 20 just once? It doesn't seem to fit your hba1c, so it might have been a case of dirty fingers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest your HbA1c is not consistent with your finger pricks, but probably because the HbA1c is an average over 3 months of your blood glucose 24/7. Spikes after meals get lost in this average, but are very important to keep low as they can cause health problems.

What you were told in your weight loss plan may be fine for healthy people, but not for those with glucose problems. In particular, fruit. Fruit is full of sugar. It should never replace sugary snacks as it is just as bad. If you want fruit, then strawberries and raspberries are OK in small to moderate portions.

All carbohydrate converts to sugar once inside the system, and we already have too much glucose in our bloodstream, so why eat more of it? Additionally, it is carbs that make you gain weight.

Try the organised testing.
Test before you eat
Test 2 hours after first bite
Look at the rise from before to after. More than 2mmol/ and there are too many carbs in that meal (preferably keep it under 1.5mmol/l)
Keep a detailed food diary including all ingredients and portion sizes
Record your levels alongside
Look for patterns to see what your personal danger foods are and avoid them/cut the portion sizes.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

White bread does not do that to me neither potatoes...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
White bread does not do that to me neither potatoes...

Presumably because you inject insulin? It is very different for T2s and pre-diabetics as we have to rely on our own natural insulin, which is unable to work as well as it should due to insulin resistance.