BSL below 7?

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband is 5 weeks into his diagnosis. We've had found this forum a strength of support and knowledge.

We cannot get his levels at different points in the day lower than 7 something. The GP advised we aim to get lower than this 7.

Is it worth upping his long lasting insulin by two units to see if that would give him a lower reading first thing in the morning?

He hasn't done dafne so we are carb counting just by self teaching and momentarily he is working on the ration 1/2:10 - more than that and he was getting lots of hypos!!

Advice on getting these levels would be amazing thank you. He started back at the gym this week, slowly reintroducing exercise and this has helped.

Thank you

Reactions: Prem51

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @kellie lees
with diagnosis only 5 weeks ago , it is really important to remember to try and take things slowly ( hard to do I know when you are living it )
One of the things that I have done over many years is to keep detailed records , and aim to keep to a fairly stable routine whenever I am contemplating any changes to my medication.

this is to try and establish a pattern to see where best to make any change.

here is the recommended ranges your husband should be aiming for http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

talking over any changes with your health care team is normal in these early days following diagnosis.
we can't really directly advise making medication changes

Reactions: azure and Prem51

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kellie lees
with diagnosis only 5 weeks ago , it is really important to remember to try and take things slowly ( hard to do I know when you are living it )
One of the things that I have done over many years is to keep detailed records , and aim to keep to a fairly stable routine whenever I am contemplating any changes to my medication.

this is to try and establish a pattern to see where best to make any change.

here is the recommended ranges your husband should be aiming for http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

talking over any changes with your health care team is normal in these early days following diagnosis.
we can't really directly advise making medication changes

Thank you - no I know you can't advice medication advice; we were just seeking some reasssurance on this levels and just maybe some advice on people's own stories.

Thank you

Reactions: himtoo and Prem51

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thank you - no I know you can't advice medication advice; we were just seeking some reasssurance on this levels and just maybe some advice on people's own stories.

Thank you
your plan sounds reasonable - testing in the early hours of the morning (1am-3am) would be advisable following any changes to basal insulin :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kellie lees. With your husband being only 5 weeks diagnosed I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment. If you are using a meter and you are getting 7. on average then that's good and your husbands actual hba1c should actually be around the 6 mark. It takes time to get diabetes right and even then it needs tweaking constantly.
Your husband as you may already be aware may go through a honeymoon period which ultimately doesn't give a true reflection of being diabetic. Continue with what you feels is working, keeping sugars at a consistent level, no excessive weight gain, hypos to a minimum and a feeling of general well being. You should know when the honeymoon period is coming to an end as things become more challenging but with the information you take on board now things will make more sense and be easier to manage.
DAFNE is a great course but it's my understanding that you won't be put on a course for 18/24 months after diagnosis because of you being in the honeymoon period.
Good luck and keep posting

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second @therower 's comments that he's doing well. Slow and steady :)

I'd also add that you should be cautious upping his insulin if he's just started back at the gym. It may be best to let him settle into that routine and then see if any adjustments need to be made. If in any doubt, always check with his DSN.

Reactions: himtoo

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So close to diagnosis I would keep in touch with his DSN if you plan to adjust his dosage. Perhaps let him settle into reintroducing exercise and see how his levels react to that so not too many things are changing at once then you can help establish patterns.

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes thank you this sounds like sensible advice. He is really keen to get back into his exercise so I think if he focused on that for now! And then we look at getting the levels down.