1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bump Size!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by eeb123, Oct 16, 2018.

1. eeb123

eeb123 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi everyone,
    I suppose I’m just looking for a bit of reassurance. I feel like I have quite a large bump but I’m not sure that’s just because it is what everyone has been telling me...much to my annoyance!
    “Oh you’re diabetic, you’ll have a big baby” “oh diabetic women always have big babies”
    My sugars are *touch wood* under control, apart from the occasional high, but will I just have a bigger baby anyway, does the insulin I am giving myself effect the baby?
    Thank you in advance,
    Xx

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @eeb123, you query is best answered by your doctors who can monitor you and your baby with tests like ultrasound to check on his/her progress. Yes, there are writings about big babies and diabetic mothers but please talk with your doctors and listen to them.

3. eeb123

Thanks @kitedoc I do talk to my doctors regularly it was just getting some thoughts and reassurance from other Mothers/expectant Mothers with the same experience on here which I thought was what the forum was for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smallbrit

Smallbrit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm writing this as someone who had gestational diabetes, so our situations aren't exactly the same, so this is just an example to show diabetics don't necessarily have big babies. I wasn't on insulin or any meds, so I have no idea about insulin.

My first child, it wasn't diagnosed till the normal 24/28 week tests, but when GD was diagnosed my blood sugars were way out of control and likely had been for a very long time. My daughter was premature. But not particularly big or small for her gestational age.

Second child, I kept my blood sugars under tight control, through carb counting and testing before/after every meal. I actually passed my GD tests. I had a full term boy, 7lbs 3oz, so in the totally normal range. Certainly not big.

I did, once, however, have a midwife who made me cry because I dared to eat a banana at 33 weeks. "Why would you do that? Don't you know that spikes your blood sugar? You're still at risk! Do you want a big baby?"

In both cases, I looked very round from the get go. But according to my doctors, measurements were fine.

My only actual experience of insulin is that I am a daughter of a type 1 diabetic. I wasn't particularly big when I was born. (And I'm not particularly big now...!) I'm fairly sure that diabetic treatment for pregnant women has advanced in the last 40 years or so.

• Like Like x 1
    #4 Smallbrit, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  5. eeb123

@Smallbrit thank you for your reply, it’s nice to hear other people talk from experience.
    I keep on trying to remind myself that Pippa Middleton looked small and just had a nearly 9lb baby so you can never tell! X

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ellie_Wilko

Ellie_Wilko Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m type 1 and have just had my second baby... with my first I never got referred to the community midwife so didn’t have any of the normal baby checks etc but my son was 6lb 6oz when he was born at 37+4!

I did see the community midwife with my daughter and towards the end of my pregnancy I was referred for a couple of extra growth scans as my belly was measuring a couple of weeks ahead but it was never mentioned that could be down to size of baby but more excess waters! Both times I went they said everything was fine... she was born at 7lb 3oz at 37+2.

I think it’s abit of an old thing now that diabetics will have big babies because we’re usually induced early and have such close monitoring that if anything was detected the medical professionals would more than likely act on it!

They’ll be keeping a close eye on you and everyone likes to give their opinion but I wouldn’t listen to anything that is said unless it comes from your docs or midwife!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. eeb123

Thank you @Ellie_Wilko that makes so much sense. Nice to hear that both of your babies were a healthy weight and things went well. X

8. myarnton1

myarnton1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My daughter was born at 36 weeks and weighed 7lbs 8oz so for the gestation she was big, but unfortunately I did suffer with post meal spikes after every meal with her, I’m hoping it won’t be as bad with this preganancy. Although now I have a CGM, which is a god send to be fair. How far along are you? Xx

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook