burning feet - peripheral neuropathy

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
for some time now , have had problems with feet burning and stinging, step on something hard and they are on fire. difficult to walk first thing and pain is centred on ball of foot and bottom of toes,feels hypersensitive aswell. circulation checked andis ok, GP thought i had plantar fasciitis bit now thinks it is peripheral neuropathy so has put me on Vit B strong compound with a calcium tab as well, always had ' sore feet' but put it down to being on them quite a lot andwas part and parcel of the aging process, my BG is not bad, last was 6.3 but i still get high ones in AM , 7 and 8's.anybody with same problems with advice as i thought peripheralneuropathy was numb feet leading to infections as you couldn't feeel feet ! many thanks, manogwent :?:

buckedboy

Hi,
I have been T2 for 11 years initially i was not good with my control and am now paying the price, the end result is Numb feet, unfortunatly before you get there, thier is a whole range of symptoms that you might get, from gentle tingleing which is not unpleasent to extreme pain, it can be under the foot, on top or round the heel, to date i have not found any pain killers that relieve it, but believe that the vitamin treatment that you are currently on, offers some hope for relief,once the damage is done it cannot be undone, as usual we don't realise what we have lost till its gone.

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
Thanks,everyone for the gen,very interesting,going to see how i get on with the meds GP gave me,tried benfotiamine for lowering BG's but not much success although it levelled them out it did nothing for my feet. admittedly i only tried it for a month then gave it up as it didn't seem to do what i thought it would. My feet are pretty painful 24/7 and can wake me up at night,sore when even resting and i just got to get shoes off when i get home. i use orthotics to relieve pressure as i was told i have high arches!! got to 61 without even realising this !! think GP wants to check viscosity ( of blood i assume) when i next have hba1c done end of feb.don't particularly want the meds that mask symptoms like the ones suggested, best regards to all,manogwent

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I have been suffering with sever neuropathy for a while now it goes from my waist to the tips of my toes. Also affecting both bowel and bladder joy. I have tried amytriptalin with dihydracodiene with paracetemol and sleeping pills no joy then pregablin with tramadol and paracetemol no joy. Now the pain team are taking over who think stop the pain first (morphine) then fix the neuropathy which seems weird. Unfortunately this is stopping me from getting physio to get me back walking(50% muscle loss) so keep me updated on the vit treatment as it's never been offered good luck

Tara

Hi,
I was diagnosed as type 1 in December 2008. I was on holiday in Goa at the time, ended upin a coma and woke up 4 days later in intensive care- a bit disconcerting to say the least! After returning to the UK I began to suffer excruciating pains in my legs and feet, almost constantly, I'd never experienced anything like it. I ended up back in hospital for 3weeks. The sensations in my feet could be anything from mild tingling to stinging and burning. I also lost my appetite, and had trouble swallowing what little I could eat. My bowel became very lazy too.
I was prescribed tramadol and pregablin, morphine sulphate tablets and oramorph for breakthrough pain. Soon after I started taking pregablin(which didn't seem to work), I began to suffer from low blood pressure and a racing heartbeat. I couldn't even sit up without feeling weak and dizzy, I couldn't stand up straight and passed out on several occasions. I couldn't understand it. Stuck in hospital again for another fortnight.I came off the pregablin and started on fleudrocortisone for the blood pressure.
Slowly, the blood pressure and heart rate improved. The pains in my legs and feet has improved, although I still get tingling feelings and I can't have a hot bath as this seems to make it worse for some reason. I no longer need the morphine tablets, the only medication I take now is my daily insulin. I do worry whenever the tingling starts though, it makes me wonder what's actually going on and I am a bit fearful of what the future might hold.

Tara

Soundgen

Thanks,everyone for the gen,very interesting,going to see how i get on with the meds GP gave me,tried benfotiamine for lowering BG's but not much success although it levelled them out it did nothing for my feet. admittedly i only tried it for a month then gave it up as it didn't seem to do what i thought it would.

levelled them out
isn't that success to level out your BG ? One month isn't enough to get the full effects on neuropathy , I've now been taking it for six months and the pain and tingling had gone until I ran out with a late delivery over Xmas and it came back with a vengeance , it's only now getting better again after 4 weeks back on it

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
yes, levelling out BG's did help although they were still higher than i wanted although overall they were lower when Hba1c came around ( slightly ),probaly a question of looking for a 'quick fix' but coming to realise that it is a slow process and doesn't happen overnight. I'm not taking any pain relief at moment except for when i get a really bad day as thought it was the 'age thing' and just accepted it, now i know a little more and can come to terms with what is going on. Obviously i am not in the same league as those who have had to resort to stronger measures and hopefully won't be, best of luck anf a good GP to them, regards, manogwent :) :)

Dobbs

I also suffered from this for a while but now hardly at all, so my experience is different to what buckedboy says. For about six months I followed the vitamin cocktail recommended by Bernstein and others (alpha lipoic acid, GLA and vitamin C) which I believed at the time was helping a bit. At the same time I had lowered my blood glucose level and kept it low, which I now believe was the main thing that helped - I can't be sure in retrospect that the vitamins really did much good, though they probably didn't do any harm.
Now I have a mild tingling sometimes in my feet but most of the problems are gone. :eek:

JanetS

Worth noting, Dobbs! I wish I didn't have to take so many prescription drugs, otherwise I'd take vit supps too. (Or maybe I just should, anyway??) And no, I don't eat the right foods - certainly not salad and fruit. :oops: