Burnt out

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really struggling at the moment, and I'm just not sure where to start.

I had very good control up until about 18 months ago, when I had my daughter. All through my pregnancy I was able to keep good results (a few too many mild hypos, but nothing serious). I think my HbA1c was around 5.6 by the end. But since she was born things have gone off the rails. Initially I was having to eat more due to breast feeding, and my glucose would swing high and low a lot as her feeding pattern was very inconsistent. In addition, having been so strictly controlled while I was pregnant, as soon as I didn't need to be as strict I went totally the other way. I started eating far too many of the wrong things - cakes, chocolate etc.

My mood really plummeted, partially due to the bad control which I would feel guilty about and then turn to comfort eating to cheer myself up, but I also have really struggled with motherhood. I was diagnosed with postnatal depression in March last year. I got some counselling which was helpful at the time, and I felt better for a while, but since the new year I'm going down again. My last HbA1c a few months ago was up to 6.9, I have no doubt it would be higher if it was done today.

I'm not sure how to dig myself out of the mess I've gotten into. I feel so despondent at the moment. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you get back on track and stay there?

Reactions: phdiabetic
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, don't beat yourself up, motherhood and everything that goes with it, can mess your body up, depression can cause so many problem's, also your hormones have been all over the place. It's just a blip and the best thing is to take small steps and to give yourself a pat on the back and a nice treat too, when things are heading in the right direction. So try to enjoy the precious time with your little one, also ask your health visitor if there are any support groups in your area, or a mother and child coffee morning at local churches or community centre's/village hall's.
Take care and I hope you start to feel better real soon with a smile too X

Reactions: Dodo and Freema

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Diabetes is tough and parenting (while having lots of joy) is also tough. Combine the two and there are bound to be times of horror.
Can you access the councillor again for some support? Do you have anyone you can talk to?

Reactions: Jeremy_Wood

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ArtemisBow i know it’s easier said than done but try and cut yourself some slack, being a Mum is hard enough without the added joy of type 1. However try and ignore the HbA1c for a moment, it’s been good and will be again but your body is still producing lots of hormones and it does take up to a year to recover on top of this you need the carbs for feeding. The priority here is a happy Mum so getting on top of the depression so you can function better will mean a better HbA1c. Also your not alone lots of mums go through this, I was ok but could see how easily it was for mums to experience it, pressures with being a new mum as well as managing a needy condition and it’s a no brainer what a struggle it is, just take each day at a time, I agree with the comments already made find some new friends and see if your GP can refer you for counselling too but don’t be afraid to talk about your feelings x

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See if you can get yourself some counselling again, especially since it helped you before. Also, remember to "put on your own oxygen mask before helping others". I know you are very busy being a parent, but to be the best possible parent you can be, it's important to take care of yourself first. You can't feed/bathe/play with your kid if you're unconscious on the floor. Try to get some extra help with baby sitting or household chores if you can so that you can free up some time for diabetes or general self care.

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really struggling at the moment, and I'm just not sure where to start.

I had very good control up until about 18 months ago, when I had my daughter. All through my pregnancy I was able to keep good results (a few too many mild hypos, but nothing serious). I think my HbA1c was around 5.6 by the end. But since she was born things have gone off the rails. Initially I was having to eat more due to breast feeding, and my glucose would swing high and low a lot as her feeding pattern was very inconsistent. In addition, having been so strictly controlled while I was pregnant, as soon as I didn't need to be as strict I went totally the other way. I started eating far too many of the wrong things - cakes, chocolate etc.

My mood really plummeted, partially due to the bad control which I would feel guilty about and then turn to comfort eating to cheer myself up, but I also have really struggled with motherhood. I was diagnosed with postnatal depression in March last year. I got some counselling which was helpful at the time, and I felt better for a while, but since the new year I'm going down again. My last HbA1c a few months ago was up to 6.9, I have no doubt it would be higher if it was done today.

I'm not sure how to dig myself out of the mess I've gotten into. I feel so despondent at the moment. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you get back on track and stay there?

Hang in there @ArtemisBow . We all struggle sometimes, and most of us go through a time in life where it all gets too much. I went through the same thing after my son was born (I've written about it in detail somewhere else on here) but it won't last forever.

talk to people, ask for help. Speak to your diabetes professionals who can help out too. Try making some really simple changes - switch insulin (honestly, it's really easy!), get a new meter or start going for walks. little things can make a big difference to your attitude!

Keep writing and we'll listen.

J

Reactions: Diakat

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou all for your support, it's much appreciated. I've ordered some more Libre sensors as I've always found they are a good way to help get started identifying issues. My main problem seems to be highs on waking in the morning so i'm going to see if that's a case of high all night or a big spike in the morning and go from there. I'm also going back to the GP to see if I can get referred for counselling again. It all feels a bit overwhelming but I'm just going to try and fix a bit at a time.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Having kids is hard. Small steps and routine are good ways to go. Set yourself a routine to follow each day and it's easier to factor, food, insulin and exercise. I know it's boring but write down your readings and food and exercise. It will be much easier to see patterns. Remember stress factors like howling child.

Focus on different parts of the day bit by bit. Don't expect perfection and don't focus on individual bad results.

More importantly look after you. Build treats into your day. Go to places you want to go. 18 month olds are still relatively versatile. An art gallery or a museum is a great space to run around. A nice walk is good with a friend. Don't just look for friends with kids the same age, older people with different schedules are fun to hang out with and will give different perspectives on life. See if there are any charity things you can get involved in. Giving to others is a good way to feel better about yourself. Also ask your gp to check if you're vitamin d deficient or but a supplement. We all suffer from this in the winter.

Good luck. You will get there.