BUT WE'VE GONE TO THE MOON!?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Then maybe she could be pursuaded to throw her weight behind a revision tp the UK eating guidlines if we made a concetted attempt?
She weakened David Camerons sugar tax, so don't expect any help from her direction.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Being a technologist I am disappointed at the advancements in automated management.

I read alot on T1 and know alleviation and convenience of management is much better now, but the power we have in IT now is mind blowing. Google, Microsoft, Apple, IBM and Oracle if commissioned with good project management could produce results that would astonish us all; I state this as a small Cloud provider with circa 100 Servers - nothing compared to these guys. I am not neccesarily talking a cure, but further miniturisation, accuracy etc.

I think there are alot of projects, if only they were all joined up.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Big pharma making huge amounts of money from peoples misery, with no incentive to press for a cure, and they continue to modify the food so there is no goodness in it anymore, they even patent the GM grain so it cannot be reproduced, they fill the market shelves with hi sugar rich produce, it is a sick society and a sick world we have to live in governed by corrupt short sighted corporate oligarchies.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a cure for any long term condition is very difficult to come by. Asthma requires inhalers, there is no cure for multiple sclerosis etc. When it was discovered I am sure many believed insulin was the cure for diabetes. Personally I hope that hypos can be prevented in the near future but of course a cure would be lovely. I don't necessarily think that research needs to remain within diabetes alone - with regards to type 1 research into auto immune diseases as a whole may help. We know so much but still so little about our bodies it's mind boggling. But research cannot be done with passion and genius alone :(

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Les.balL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Source: University of Gothenburg

Anders Rosengren. Credit: Johan Wingborg

Summary: Scientists have identified a newly discovered mechanism behind reduced insulin production in type 2 diabetes. In an article in Nature Communications, researchers at Sahlgrenska Academy describe how insulin-producing cells regress in their development, become immature, and do not work properly, a finding that opens the doors to new clinical treatments.
It has long been known that the insulin-producing cells fail in type 2 diabetes. The body does not get enough insulin and blood sugar rises. One theory argues that the insulin-producing cells become fewer in number, while another argues that their function is impaired.
As the analysis continued, it showed that the gene SOX5, which was previously unknown in a diabetes context, affects the disease.
"If you experimentally suppress and deactivate SOX5, the function of the certain genes deteriorates and the cells decrease in maturity. If you then increase the levels of SOX5, those certain genes also increase and insulin delivery can be normalized," explains Anders Rosengren.
"It's very exciting to see. It was almost like a volume control, where you could increase or decrease the maturity level of the insulin-producing cells.

Maybe, things positive are beginning to happen.
Les Ball.

Les.balL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's all very well above about gene SOX5. But there is a new drug on the market for cardiac patients. Saw it on TV here in Australia. Can't remember the name of the drug. It will cost A$23,000 a throw, if Big Pharma gets its way.

frankbegbie

For all we know they already have cures for everything.
But the money system we're stuck with makes it so easy to corrupt people.

"I've just discovered the cure for Diabetes!":)

"Shsssss":shifty: