Butter, cheese and salad dressing

louloulee

Please help as I am new to this. Not sure if this is the right place to post either. What cheese is best to eat, is cottage cheese ok also Vitalite or similar on bread and what salad cream on salads. I have tried to find out myself but have got so confused. I would be very grateful for any advice. Thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It shouldn't really matter what cheese you have from an effect on blood sugar, but obviously keeping the saturated fat down helps keep the arteries clear. I believe cottage cheese is a very good choice. I can't help with Vitalite. For salad cream I'm not sure what it has in it but do read the label. Most of these things have sugar added so check that out and ensure that any normal helping is only a few grams. Do look at the overall carb % but I suspect it's not a problem. You need to be concentrating on the overall carbohydrate content of the foods you eat where there is a label.

slimtony

Hi louloulee,

Tesco do a great cottage cheese with added crème fraiche, which tastes about as good as cottage cheese can. You need to be wary of the low-fat versions (all cottage cheese is relatively low-fat), because the fat tends to get replaced with sugar (oh the irony) and, furthermore, the end result tends to taste pretty nasty.

Helenababe

Full fat Mayo is low carb. I always use it. Don't go for the 'Light' ones though as they have more carbs in. I've even found the full fat salad cream to be ok as far as carbs are concerned.
There isn't too much fat in cream cheese if you want low fat.

Helena