BYETTA

GaT

Like a number of new contributors I have read all of the pages on this thread. Perhaps as long term Type 2 diabetics we have a tendency towards obsession?

My thanks to the providers of the site (who are they by the way?) and all the contributors it’s been very helpful.

I am new to Byetta having just started my first10mg pen.

I am 65 and recently retired. I was first diagnosed 20 years ago and managed 12 years or so with diet control. Once this began to fail it was on to tablets and of course after some time these began to fail to achieve good control as well. Unfortunately, Metformin didn’t work for me.

Currently I just take Gliclazide and the Byetta.

For a few years before Byetta was tried my results ran rather high with HbA1c of between 9 and 10.

In some ways I seem to live in a somewhat different world from many of you.

My results on the 5mg pen only dropped BG from an average of 15 to an average of 12 with a weight loss of only 1K in the month. The worst of the nausea lasted about 10 days (started again now of course)

At least part of the problem is that whilst my diet is generally very good there is one exception and that is Beer, not alcohol in general, but beer. According to all medical opinion, and I’m sure that they are right; I drink too much, a lot too much. It didn’t stop me holding down a professional job all my adult life but there we are.

I am not going to reduce my drinking except to the extent that Byetta reduces my ability to or to enjoy a drink, so far about 4 units a day.

I fully accept that alcohol can and does damage people but also that I have been lucky in this respect.

Clearly my drinking means that real low carbs diet is not an option for me. Because of this I think that my consultant sees putting me on Byetta as a trail run really.

So far the service that I have received has been efficient and cheerful but the advice seems to be totally different from the experience of most of you. The frequency of home blood testing has been described as “once a week to show the trend will do” and the idea that some people actually test for hypos a few hours after eating was virtually laughed at.

Anyway I don’t know why I’m rabbiting on. Many thanks for such a useful board.

cyberil

I was hoping someone can help me.

I've just gone on to the 10mg pen and I've been feeling pretty ill and was a bit suspicious of the dosage as the button on the pen needed to be pushed right down and 'clicked' unlike the 5mg pen where there was no 'click'.

Anyway, I've tested the pen several times in the sink and I may have been overdosing as when I press the button a large squirt comes out. However, up to 9 or 10 seconds after 8 or 9 drops are still coming out. Well the instructions say to hold the button for only five seconds. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

I spoke to Lilly the UK manufacturers and they also suspect an issue - but I'm unsure and as it takes a week to get hold of Byetta and I have no spare pen I'm reluctant to send it back.

Could someone also help me with my side effects which include lethargy, tiredness, sickness, lack of appetite, etc. These all seem pretty normal but I do find my consumption of alcohol and food has been reduced to 1 glass of wine rather than 3. Is this permanent (I hope so) or just temporary until your body acclimatises?

Paul

KurvZ

Hi , I can only speak for myself , I have just finished my first 10 dose Pen changed on Tuesday and after going from the 5 dose pen to the 10 I noticed no changes at all no side effects ..

I did a Test with the pen first time nothing hardly came out 2nd time a full jet of byetta , I hadn't realize previous that you reset the pen after using by turning till the up arrow the nurse never told me that and with my first pen I never even did the test so prob missed on dose :(..

As for 5 seconds I was told 10 by the Nurse and 10 secs I do , I was under the impression it was a preloaded shot so you will only get the does ? maybe not so ?

As for my 2nd 10 dose pen I cant comment as I have got shingles and the meds for that make me feel very lethargic and its made me feel a bit sick her and there ..

Did you not try to phone one of the BBYS phone numbers ?

Hope it all works out for you Dave

wilma08

forgot to eat after byetta

Hi my name is Wilma i was put on Byetta on the 14th April 2011 5 units first which i felt sick and sore tummy for about a week then on the 14Th May 2011 i went on to 10 units i am on 500mg of glucophage 30units of insulin anyway on the 20th May i took ten units of byetta at 08:00am but forgote to eat untill 09:30am bye 11am the pains in my tummy were terriable i was being sick and diaherra by 12:30 in afternoon i thought i was dieing i really did my 14year old even phoned her dad at work and told him to come home, but of course he could not as he is a nurse and the only traned one on, so bye late afternoon i had a high temp 40.2 was up and down to the toilet nearlt crawling phoned diebetic nurse given sick day information, this is Sunday 22nd and my tummy is still a little delicate has anyone else had these symtoms, i will only take 5 unites for another month and see how it goes, trust me i will never do that again and forget to eat when on byetta this is a warning i can tell you

take care Wilma x :shock:

Andreamp

Dislikes
liars and theives
Exenatide

Are there any other peeps out there on Exenatide??? I would love to talk to someone and find out how they are coping....as I am struggling.. :( Thanks guys and gals....Andrea XX

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Exenatide

There is a dedicated thread in the Diabetes Medication and Drugs section totally devoted to Byetta ((Exanitide). You should find much information about it there. I am a user too and have frequently answered questions in that thread.

Andreamp

Dislikes
liars and theives
I have just finished my first 10mg pen...so in four weeks I have lost over a stone (which is great, I do need to get my weight down by around 4 stone)...but I feel sick 24x7...
I realise its a side effect and am accepting that...and on the one occassion I went out for dinner and drinks in that time, I didnt do my jab (took tablets instead)...
Can anyone else help with the nausea problem, any ideas on how to get past it?
Thanks
Andrea X

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Further to my previous posts re: Byetta and stage 3 renal problems. I saw diabetes nurse today for blood test results. Both creatinine and gfr were couple of numbers worse but blood urea etc were better. BP is still really high but sugars have come right down plus lost 3Kg in 3 weeks. Don't really know what all this means whether good or bad but I asked to stay on 5 pen for another month at least but apparently that's not allowed so I either accept the 10 or stop completely. So now I have to make my mind up about that as well. Actually I feel bullied and as if treated like a naughty child. Any thoughts ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Barley
That does sound like bullying behaviour ! There is no reason why you couldn't remain on the 5ug pen for longer. It happens quite often to members.

I was on the 10ug pen for 2 yrs but because I was getting continual hypos in the evenings I asked to be dropped to the 5ug pen again. This was due to vastly improved Bg control. My endo thought it was an excellent idea and my hypos are now few and far between ! There was no problem with that as it was medically what I needed.

Argue your case with the GP or Consultant.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Barley

I dont know how long you have been on Byetta but I stayed on the 5 pen for three months before I went up to the 10pen. This was because I suffered quite badly with the nausea.

Jude :wink:

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thank you for responses. I am expecting phone call tomorrow to tell me what they will allow me to do so I am getting bit nervous. I have to say though that I am pleased with myself for weight loss, Byetta has not reduced my appetite at all nor do I feel full for longer but the very act of injecting seems to keep my mind set on being good so am pleased with that. I think I would like to carry on since I am obviously getting some good out of it and maybe renal function will improve if I keep improving. Nice to know you are there.

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Really pleased, consultant said no problem to staying on 5 injection and wants to see me to reassue me about it all. Feel like huge step forward.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
barleymo said:
Really pleased, consultant said no problem to staying on 5 injection and wants to see me to reassue me about it all. Feel like huge step forward.

Good news barley ! Glad to hear you got exactly what YOU needed.........

Debz1809

Dislikes
Liars !!!!
Hi there

I am new to this website. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in December. I had went to the Docs with the sympoms of a Urine Infection, only to be told that I had too much sugar in my urine, got blood tests done and then it was confirmed I was Diabetic. I was prescribed Metformin tablets and I constantly had to be next to the toilet !! It was awful. I spoke to doctor and he changed me from Metformin to the Glucophage which was better for me. This was the same type of tablet however it had a prolonged release of the drug into my body. I have had a few operations for cysts on my ovaries and I eventually had my ovary and fallopian tube removed from my left side. I am now waiting to hear from doctor about removing gallbladder as I have now got gallstones. It is so so painful!! Husband and I are also in the process of trying to kids and have been for 2 years. It hasnt happened and because of me only having one ovary which is scarred and PCOS, we are having to go down the IVF route. We went for our appointment at the clinic and I have to go back and see them in July when I ahve my period. This will allow them to scan me and find out what is happening with my monthly cycle as they tend to come about every 31-37 days. They wont give me IVF until my BMI is down to 35 or below whcih is so frustrating!!! I joined Slimming World 12 weeks ago and 2st 12.5lbs lighter and a BMI of 48.2 down to 42.1, I am getting there :) It is going to be a long struggle but I am so determined. My diabetic consultant has said to me that his aim is to get me as skinny as he possibly can and is going to put me on Byetta Injections. I have to start these on Monday and I am very worried. Dr told me that it will probably play havoc with stomach and me me feel nauseous, i dont feel good at the best of times and dont need this!! I am scared. I am hoping though in the end it will help but my problem being that I am not taking my metformin as i should and I go days without taking it. It gives me terrible diarreoha when I take it and in my job, i cant be having this. I need to be near a toilet at all times!! I have been feeling really dizzy recently and not sure if this is to do with me not taking my metformin, what do you think?? I will need to try taking the metformin again especially as i am starting the injections on Monday !!

Sorry for my rant folks!!

Hope to speak soon
Debbie

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to tell you no-one was more worried than me about starting Byetta injections. I have renal problems as well and expected all sorts of problems. However, I didn't really have any side effect problems, felt a bit sick and had a few headaches and dizzy spells but nothing bad, nothing that stopped me going out and about. Got a bit nervous about shopping for the first week but soon got over that as well (scared I would pass out in shop with dizzy spells) After 3 weeks side effects gone completely, have lost weight and am starting new pen tomorrow. I hope you are lucky like me and lots of others and won't get serious side effects, I was warned everyone got them but not true so go for it and best of luck.

dave1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well almost finished the 5ml pen, going to nurse tomorrow to get 10ml, am also going to get her to weigh me, was 119KG so hopefully will have lost some!! although i dont feel like i have 8)

i tend to inject in the arm as per the illistration on packaging, seem ok to me but have moved from 8 needle to 6, but am going to ask for a 4 this time, i find it simpler to roll up your sleeve wipe the area with a alcohol pad, i use Alcotip Preinjection Sterile Pads with iso propyl alcohol, they are only 3cm sq and inject, also dont get too many people staring at you if you have to do it in public there's no way i'm going in to a public convenience to do it !!

symptoms come and go with 5ml dose, might be getting used to it, some days like today felt quite hungry, ate a small sandwich and small yogurt and felt quite bloated, bit sicky/dizzy but could be a cold or symptoms of Byetta.

I am also finding it very hard to sleep, maybe getting to sleep around midnight and awake at 4/5am but really tired but cant sort of "turn off"

one question i would like to ask (might have missed on search of forum), what are your thoughts on a cooling bag to keep the injection cool, im thinking if its a hot summer it might be too warm to take to work (I start work at 6.30am so dont take my first injection till around 7.30 for breakfast at 8.30 ish) so my pen is with me from then till i get home around 3.30pm which is quite a long time if its warm..., i was looking at the medicool pen plus on Medicalshop website ... any suggestions would help..

Dave

louismum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I started on Byetta today along with metformin and glyclazide. Can anyone tell me approx how long before I will notice a difference with my bg numbers.

Thanks

GaT

Hi louismum

Sadly I don't think anyone can.

There are pople (super reactors) who see a big drop even on the first day.

My own experience is that after 3 months the drop in BG fiqures is only a few points but I have lost some weight.

I'm sure from reading these boards that there are many people in between.

We are all different

Take care