BYETTA

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Candyog

I also live with IBS and the medics were most worried about the effect of the Byetta on that but my IBS seems to be much more controlled on the byetta but I am getting continuous nausea. Like you I am determined to try and stick with it so lets just encourage each other especially on our bad days? - deal??

I am so glad Humph has chipped in - his words have helped me over the past 2 weeks because I felt like I was on my own not going on to the 10 pen and I have days when I am very disheartened especially when I can hardly do anything because of feeling so rough.

Keep in touch. Jude

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Humph

Thanks for chipping in - I was hoping you would - it is an encouragement to me that someone else has been where I am!! - if you get what I mean!!

Jude

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

Me again - have you thought of asking for the Slow Release Metformin? - it could be the combination of the regular metformin & the byetta that is making you more sick - just a thought.

BFN. Jude

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Tizzzzy,

As far as fruit is concerned, I personally find most fruit is too high in sugar for me to have more than a couple of helpings a day. I try to stick to the lower carb fruits, like berries, plums, apricots and apples, and keep well away from the high carb fruits, particularly bananas and melon. But everyone is different and some people can tolerate more fruit, some even less than me.

I have found that a little pocket size book called the Collins Gem Carb Counter is great for understanding how much carb there is in all the foods that we eat, but if you are interested in the calorie content then Collins Gem have a similar book called the Calorie Counter that shows the calorie value for each food as well as the carb count. Both books are £3.99 from most high street book shops, or a bit less online from Amazon.

Once you get into one of these books you will be surprised at how many types of foods do contain carbs. The carbs that are present in most vegetables are good for you because they come with vitamins and minerals. On the other hand there are the starches (wheat, oat and rice products) that mostly contain nothing except carbohydrate. These are often called "empty" carbs because they contain little goodness and simply fill you up. But what all carbs have in common is that they convert in your stomach into glucose (10g of carb will become 10g of glucose). This is then stored in your blood as what we refer to as blood sugar. The purpose of insulin is to store this glucose in muscle or fat cells to be used as energy when the body needs it. If the body's cells don't have the capacity to store any more glucose, then insulin simply creates more fat cells. So you can see from this how high carb diets often result in weight gain. The more carbs you eat then the higher your blood sugar will go and the more insulin your body will need to produce to process all the glucose. This is why a reduction in carbs is necessary for most diabetics.

tizzzzy

Thanks Dennis

You've told me several things I didn't know, I'm off to amazon
Really need to get a handle on these carbs, can't work out how I've not been told any of this by NHS

Tizzzzy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Tizzzzy.

There are an awful lot of things the NHS doesn't tell you. Not sure it's deliberate, but it does have a massive impact on a Diabetic. They like to keep us like mushrooms - in the dark.

Look around here, take the advice - as you are, and then work out what is best for YOU. Do not be put off by negative comment from NHS staff. It is your life and your body. You will get all the support from people on the forum. Any questions, keep asking. We do our best to provide answers.

Ken.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude thanks for that your right it helps so much to hear your not the only one and get encouragement from others that are going through the same DEAL stick together with help and ideas i had not heard of the slow release metformin until i read these posts im going to ask diabetic nurse if i can go on it also if i can stay on 5 pen for now bye for now look forward to hearing from you soon

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

hi Candyog

You dont say how much Metformin you are on - I was on 500mg x 4 daily but recently they have brought out a 1g S.R. Metformin so I have recently started on that - just 2 tablets daily now. I subscribe to Diabetes UK and get a bi-monthly magazine called Balance and this is where I find out some of my information - www.diabetes.org.uk. They also have a Careline 0845 120 2960 - which is available 9am - 5pm and I think staffed by nurses. Before I found this site i rang them a couple of times and it was good to discuss things with people who understand it.
BFN. Jude 8)

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude i am on 500mg 4 x daily of metformin i will go onto that website thanks i missed a call today off my diabetic nurse but she left a message saying she was increasing the byetta to 10 end of week but it was too late to ring her back when i got the message im going to have to ring her tomorrow about everything when i log off this ill go on that web site thanks bye for now

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Vivkaroo

Just realised I had not got back to you since your last post - so sorry!! I am really struggling and unfortunately seem to have more bad days than good - the nausea is lasting all day now and I just feel so wretched. Am into my 8th week tomorrow and am desperate to get on to the higher dose but am concerned about the nausea. I guess I have been fairly stressed over that time because we have had a conservatory built which has taken 7 weeks and also my eldest son being hijacked - I am really concerned about him and cannot do anything to help. He is not getting any sick pay except DSS and we are not in a position to help him - my husbands own job is on the line - 3 jobs and 5 of them going for it!! I do not really feel stressed but am wondering whether these financial/emotional issues are just tipping me the wrong way - who knows?!!
Anyway you seem to be doing well - I am so pleased for you - well done. BFN Jude

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi could anyone help me i have had pins and needles on all my finger tips for several days does anyone know if its another complication of diabetes i dont really want to go to my gp incase he just says it is to do with diabetes as a lot of complications are connected to diabetes

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

thanks for that cugila it seems my pins and needles could be due to my diabetes especially as my sugar levels have been high now for a few weeks it says if you have them for over 2 months go to gp ill see how they go thanks again

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude im sorry to hear your not doing good i am totally understanding how you feel im getting fed up with the continuous indigestion and heart burn and just feeling sickly i never fancy anything to eat i know that doesnt hurt with my weight 12 pounds ive lost now but its not a nice way to lose it nurse still going on about increasing dose but im not having it i know it might not help but remember your not alone take care bye for now

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hiya jude hun i have so much sympathy for you when i was on byetta first time for 9 months which you know i was so bloody ill i was sick all the time by teatime i was absolutely throwing up all the time felt so ill but i was like you going through bad time my grandaughter was on with a drug user not doing drugs herself just funding him my poor son and daughterinlaw were at their wits end i was so worried about them i was so ill while i was on the byetta i do wonder if thats was the stress anyway thankfully she got away from this idiot and has turned her life around during this period my ibs was horrendous we had tyres slashed windows put in my son took him to court he walked free :( our whole family are free of this monster now but i have been back on byetta 3 months and feel great only lost 10 lb in that time but i feel good so in answer to your prob jude yes i do think it could be the stress i lost my husband 16 yrs ago my life has not been a bed of rosies as they say but we must plod oni loose my middle son daughtinlaw and 4 grandchildren to australia in aug it is tearing me apart but jude you said your ibs was bit better as you know i came off byetta in oct went back on feb it was my metformin 4 didnt agree keep trying jude i do wish you all the luck i will be in touch jude xx

bye luv take care speak soon vivkaroo :D xx

SUSIEP

Dislikes
Don,t like the gym!!!!

Well I have not contributed to the forum for quite a while now so here goes!!
Not doing too badly - had a major throw out of clothes that are too big for me at the weekend (a very nice and satisfying feeling) sorry to sound smug.
Due to see the diabetic nurse on 23rd and then off to the hospital on the 30th - hopefully they will see a difference - I was with a friend last night who I sit next to every Tuesday evening (curry night) we both needed the ladies room, she looked at me and said " your shrinking, you look so different" -
To date I have now lost 6 1/2 stone - 2 1/2 since on byetta, but I am also being very good - honest.... :wink:
Every now and again I feel a bit Tom and **** - but oh boy - do I feel the cold lately :(, maybe because I dont have sooooo much of my own natural insulation anymore :lol:
I am doing something that I never would have considered before - I am doing my PADI open diver course, didn't think I would get past week 1 but here I am on week 5 - final exam tomorrow evening and 4 open dives the weekend of the 20th & 21st.
The closed dives have been in a local swimming pool - you would not believe the muck in the pool - funny, you dont notice it when swimming - different when you are looking from the bottom of the pool upwards.
Well need to go - bit of last revising to do.
Will keep on looking in and report back on progress in a few weeks.

Byeeee
Sue

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

well that was encouraging to read from susiep as i am having a pretty rough today heartburn indigestion etc. but when i read posts like that i do start seeing a future and more weight loss still hopeful

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

Not sure if I am going to be able to keep to the deal which I made with you. I am absolutely at the end of my tether with the nausea/unwellness that I am suffering all day long. I am now into my 8th week needing a new pen next Thursday and I have to order it - thing is I dont know whether I have to get a 5 or a 10 - will definitely need to phone DSN tomorrow. I actually feel like stopping it altogether but then what do I do??
I agree with you that Susieps post was encouraging but even that doesnt help with the way i have been feeling. I have tried absolutely everything to ease how I am feeling - ginger tea, giner pills, delaying taking Metformin, anti-sickness pills - you name it I have done it. :?
Will let you know how I go on and what I decide.
Jude

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Jude,

Please don't attempt to move up to the 10mcg dose while you are still feeling sick on the 5mcg dose. I have known several people do this (usually on advice from HCPs who should know better :roll: ) and in every case the patient has become violently and uncontrollably sick, to the extend that some had to be hospitalised. I appreciate that you are very keen to get on to the full dose, but please, please, please be patient and wait until you are able to tolerate the 5mcg dose.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your comments - I am desperately trying to be patient but not being able to do anything or go anywhere at all is more miserable than I usually am!! However you have decided me - I shall order the 5 pen and plod on!
My impatience to get on the higher dose is because I want my numbers to come down - I have been suffering with oral thrush now for 8 months and whenever I mention it now I am just told it will not go until I get my numbers down and I am actually wondering whether the nausea I am experiencing is also due to the oral thrush - I can never get an answer from anyone on that!!
Thanks again Dennis, Jude