BYETTA

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Guys
DSN appt today and not too good - if I cant do anything with the levels by this time next month may have to 'bite the bullet' and go to insulin - though she is not confident that my consultant will let m keep the Byetta :( We have increased the Glic to max (160mg twice a way) and the Met to 3gm (split in three) to see if that helps.

So - I am trying to think this through logically - I have never tried a 'low carb' diet, but think that it may well be worth giving it a shot. I know a lot of you do, and have had a mooch around the site, but am still finding it a little hard to work out what I'm doing. Will go and get myself a carb counter from Smiths as soon as I can get into town, but was wondering something.

At the moment I dont count my carbs, but a quick look at labels tells me that my usual breakfast is about 27gm, my usual lunch is about 30g and my dinner is probably a lot too high (really wouldn't like to guess :roll: ) plus a couple of snacks that are usually fruit, nuts or something like Twiglets during the day. What does anyone think if I say I am going to start by restricting my carbs to about 70gm a day - is that low enough to make a difference? I'm not totally sure what I'm doing yet but think at that level I can probably manage to not go over it and if I can manage that and it helps, then I;d hope to drop it lower

thanks
Trulee

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Trulee.

Once you get your carb counter book you need to calculate properly what you are eating NOW. Then try to halve that figure. Remember to calculate ALL the carbs, milk in Cereals, etc. That is the safest and for me the best way.

You might also get some better responses in the low carb diet area as well, by asking a question there. Don't duplicate the whole post though ! I don't low carb, I have just reduced down to about 70 - 80g which works very well for me. That plus low GI/GL, low fat salt etc is my way of keeping good control.

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks Cugila - dont think I'll get into town until the weekend - unfortunately dont work anywhere near the town centre, but will try and keep an eye on what I eat until then and then have a really good look at it :)

Jimbeau

Just joined the forum.

Started Byetta three weeks ago. Still on 5mg doses.

No trace of any negative effects. Immediate positive effect on glucose levels and dramatic effect on weight - three kilo loss in three weeks, so I am a happy bunnie.

No signs of low sugar levels.

I am still on insulin at the same time - Novorapid and Lavenmir. Doses have been reduced by a third and when I go onto 10mg Byetta, the Novorapid will be discontinued.

I am also on Pyogltazone(sp?), that dose has also been halved. Metformin used to make me sick, which is why i take Pyoglitazone, but I will switch to a slow release Metformin later and see how it goes.

The size of my meals has had to be reduced, I just cannot eat what I used to, especially the evening meal.

My main question is, "What is the experience of Byetta users and semi-strenuous exercise?" I am a cyclist and used to 20-30 mile rides, mainly as cardiac exercise. The manufacturers could not help on their help line.

Edit: I am under the hospital for my Diabetes rather than my GP.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi jimbeau
Welcome to the forum.

My main question is, "What is the experience of Byetta users and semi-strenuous exercise?" I am a cyclist and used to 20-30 mile rides, mainly as cardiac exercise. The manufacturers could not help on their help line.

I don't think there is any specific advice, certainly none that I have seen, regarding Byetta and exercise of any kind. You just need to be aware that it is a hypo inducing drug especially when taken with a Sulphonylurea (e.g Gliclazide). You state you are on Pioglitazone which is a Thiazolidinedione so shouldn't really be a problem. However you do need to monitor your Bg levels more carefully especially if your numbers are continually low.

So what you need to do is do your normal things, test before and certainly during the exercise to make sure your Bg levels are all in the safety zone. Never drop below 4 mmol/l. Each person will find that the results will vary due to their own body metabolism.

Always carry a small kit containing your meter, Glucotabs, sugary drink such as Lucozade or 'full fat' Coke etc. Take a small carby snack with you, biscuits, Mars Bar which are more slowly absorbed and will help to stabilise the Bg levels until you test again. Just because you are taking Byetta it shouldn't stop you doing all the things you love.

parageiss

Dislikes
being disabled

well I am now onto my 3rd month with Byetta and been to the docs today and was weighed and I have lost 7lb over the same period now I have not lost any weight for years until starting Byetta also I am on one Glicazide also Perfect result just what I wanted :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes

parageiss said:
well I am now onto my 3rd month with Byetta and been to the docs today and was weighed and I have lost 7lb over the same period now I have not lost any weight for years until starting Byetta also I am on one Glicazide also Perfect result just what I wanted :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Well done parageiss. Excellent result. :D

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Whoah !!!!!!!!

Need to sort this low carb thing out - managed to get into Smith today and pick up a carb counter which I will devour tonight!!

Have 'low carbed' as best I can today and have gone from readings of 9-10 before and anything up to 15 after meals, to well below 10 all day :shock: :shock: - to the point that I've just done my Byetta injection before dinner (will eat in about 30 mins) and it was below 4 which explains why I was feeling a bit light headed and shaky - have had half a biscuit to try and settle the shakes.

Really would not have believed it could make that much difference :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Trulee said:
Whoah !!!!!!!!

Need to sort this low carb thing out - managed to get into Smith today and pick up a carb counter which I will devour tonight!!

WHOA !!!!!!

Trulee, you are supposed to read it, not devour it. :shock: I don't actually know what the carb value of the book would be......... :lol:

Great to see you are seeing the benefits already just by reducing the carbs. Have a look in the low carb diabetes arae here for more tips and advice.

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

cugila said:
Trulee said:
Whoah !!!!!!!!

WHOA !!!!!!

Trulee, you are supposed to read it, not devour it. :shock: I don't actually know what the carb value of the book would be......... :lol:

Great to see you are seeing the benefits already just by reducing the carbs. Have a look in the low carb diabetes arae here for more tips and advice.

thanks Cugila :lol: :lol: :lol:

need to get my head round a few things and revise my shopping/cooking lists but hope to find a 'happy medium' between feeding me and my OH (unfortunately he is dairy and specifically cheese intolerant which might make it a bit 'interesting' to say the least :lol: :lol: )

I would estimate that once I've eaten the dinner that is in the oven I will have consumed approx 65gm carbs today, so will aim for the 75 or so that I was considering for a few days and see what happens :)

tabnoakes

hi,
can someone advise me what to do i have started being sick about 2 hours after meals been on byetta 5 for 7 weeks now and this started yesterday any ideas what is going wrong?
only able to keep dry crackers down with ginger ale feeling really rough today will this pass?
any ideas please?
could my byetta have gone bad it has been at room temp all the time and looks clear?
i am supposed to be going up to byetta 10 next week i have it ready in my fridge but am worried now my body will reject it.

tabnoakes

hi again everyone,
has anyone taken slimfast shakes with byetta?
don't always feel like eating so thought i could have a shake instead as it contains all you need for a meal would it work with my diabetes for one of my meals a day?
if you have tried them please let me know how you got on?
i am looking at a low carb version tesco's ultra slim as i see slimfast is high in carbs and sugar.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am thinking about starting this drug as it was recommended by my GP, they seem eager for me to start it, it will also hopefully help me reduce my BG levels and aid weight loss. I suppose this will be the last attempt to get my BG levels under control, first of all I have to have another blood test to see if my BG levels are getting better first.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi. I hope you do get it precribed. For most people it is a wonder drug, however, you also have to get your diet in order to help it work more efficiently. I have lost nearly 5 stone since January and BG control was vastly improved. There are many others with similar successes on here. Have a trawl through the pages....we offer a Kit-Kat to those that read them all ! :D
(terms and conditions apply)

RWJ

Hiya

I have just finished my third week and all is well. My following up appointment is next Tuesday and looking forward to seeing results (hope they are worthwhile!). I can tell I have lost a few pounds but am waiting to see what their scales say. Blood sugars still a little up and down bu not doing too bad.

The worse thing at the moment is people keep bring in chocolates at work - its that time of year. We have two boxes at the moment and I have always had a very sweet tooth.I have had the odd one (no more than 2) and am glad I am only part time and not there all day. Am I being very naughtly?

:oops:

cugila

Master
Dislikes

RWJ said:
Hiya

The worse thing at the moment is people keep bring in chocolates at work - its that time of year. We have two boxes at the moment and I have always had a very sweet tooth.I have had the odd one (no more than 2) and am glad I am only part time and not there all day. Am I being very naughty?

:oops:

Yep......... :shock: However, I think the odd treat is excusable sometimes.

I now know that one of the round Bassett's Allsorts sweets is 6g carbs....hence I had one with my lunch...a total of 38g carbs.

A little of what you fancy........ :D :lol:

RWJ

ha ha

Will try and avoid them then or drop down to one. They will soon disappear anyway cos one of the lads is a real chocoholic and I keep telling him to take them upstairs. I have never seen him come down so much and he has one or two each time he comes to check a letter.

I am glad my check up is next week too, that helps as it is so close and I really want to do as well as everyone else on here.

Will check in again soon.

Thanks

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

sorry guys - am gonna get a reputation for only arriving with a problem, but haven't felt particularly chattty recently.

Have had to abandon low carb for a bit - having real problems stopping myself going hypo all of a sudden :? :?

After first couple of months on Byetta without a lot of change in BG levels the last change we did - upping the Glic to 160mg twice a day plus 1gm Met BDS my BG is doing really stupid things - but only at night after my biggest meal of the day :?: :?: :?:

All day my readings are fine, but after dinner instead of rising my BG just seems to drop through the floor causing me to hypo every evening - spoke to DSN today who suggsted halving the dose of Glic in the evening (which was having no effect on BG's a few weeks ago) - have done that tonight and have still gone hypo 2 hours after dinner - have just pinched a small tumbler of OH's non diet coke to try and sort them out but at the moment its not working :( so will go have a bit more in a minute) -she cant make sense of it and neither can I - anyone any ideas??

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Trulee.

I don't understand why any body would have upped the dose of Gliclazide whilst you are on Byetta ?

The normal procedure is to REDUCE the doseage as both Byetta and Gliclazide are hypo inducing drugs. Fortunately somebody has seen the light and reduced it again. I was on the max dose of Glic (320mg) but I had it reduced immediately to just one 80mg in the morning and evening. That too was eventually dropped to just one in the morning and then completely stopped as the Byetta was working it's magic.

You really need to discuss this with your GP. I just hope he/she knows more than the Nurse....? It is dangerous to combine the two without a proper dose adjustment.

It is a fine balancing act with the carbs you eat when taking Byetta. You need enough for Byetta to work and also have to make sure you do not drop too low. You only achieve this by trial and error. I found that a full low carb diet whilst great at first was not the best for me as I too was continually getting hypo's. By careful adjustment of the carbs at each meal I was then able to avoid the real low's and keep the levels at a more consistent level. I now just reduce the carbs drastically but also use a low GI/GL method which seems to even out any highs and lows.

I can't tell you to stop your medication in the evening....but I know what I would do and then tell the Nurse later .. :D

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks Cugila

Originally I was on Avandamet and Gliclazide, stopped both and went to Byetta and Metformin.

Unfortunately this didn't help with BG levels even on the 10mg pen of Byetta so they asked me to reintroduce the Glic at 80mg BD - this didn't help either so as a 'final try' before abandoning Byetta and going to insulin they asked me to increase it to 160mg BD and this is the result :?

(To confuse things even more - had a small tumbler of non diet coke half an hour ago and BG's are still dropping :? )