C peptide results

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently had a private C peptide blood test as I am still struggling to bring down blood sugars. On the morning of the test my blood sugar was 17.8mmol. The c peptide result has come back as normal 1.49ug/l. Surely it should be higher than this if my blood sugar is this high? Advice/ comments greatly appreciated before I see my GP!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
C-Peptide is indicative of how much insulin is produced by the pancreas.

"C-peptide and insulin are released from the pancreas at the same time and in about equal amounts. So a C-peptide test can show how much insulin your body is making. This test can be a good way to measure insulin levels because C-peptide tends to stay in the body longer than insulin.
A C-peptide test is often used to help tell the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. With type 1 diabetes, your pancreas makes little to no insulin, and little or no C-peptide. With type 2 diabetes, the body makes insulin, but doesn't use it well. This can cause C-peptide levels to be higher than normal."

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/c-peptide-test/

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
C-Peptide is indicative of how much insulin is produced by the pancreas.

"C-peptide and insulin are released from the pancreas at the same time and in about equal amounts. So a C-peptide test can show how much insulin your body is making. This test can be a good way to measure insulin levels because C-peptide tends to stay in the body longer than insulin.
A C-peptide test is often used to help tell the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. With type 1 diabetes, your pancreas makes little to no insulin, and little or no C-peptide. With type 2 diabetes, the body makes insulin, but doesn't use it well. This can cause C-peptide levels to be higher than normal."

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/c-peptide-test/

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I don't understand is if I am type 2 wouldn't there be more c peptide and therefore insulin

M

Member496333

Don’t forget that everyone’s pancreas appears to have a limit to the amount of insulin it can produce. Once it reaches that limit you soon develop hyperglycaemia and then diabetes if you continue putting glucose in your body. If your pancreas were able to indefinitely keep secreting huge amounts of insulin then you wouldn’t have become diabetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently had a private C peptide blood test as I am still struggling to bring down blood sugars. On the morning of the test my blood sugar was 17.8mmol. The c peptide result has come back as normal 1.49ug/l. Surely it should be higher than this if my blood sugar is this high? Advice/ comments greatly appreciated before I see my GP!!
Are you sure you have the correct units for your result?
Des the report give a reference range for the expected level?
Unfortunately so few people get this test that I can imagine there isn't a whole lot of experience on the forum of it.
I realise that's not much help to you at the moment.
Can I also ask who did the test?

Geoffno6

What I don't understand is if I am type 2 wouldn't there be more c peptide and therefore insulin

But you have C peptide at levels that would be unlikely if you didn’t produce insulin, that coupled with your high BG suggests you’re T2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Jessica, I had a C peptide done in the first month of diagnosis. It was exactly the same as yours, 1.49 and I was told that was the 'lower end of normal', my glucose level at that time was 5.6. I had been on injected insulin for that month though so my thought was well would my body have had to produce insulin if I was injecting some? Never really got an answer. I for one, do not understand much of this diabetes stuff when it comes to the science of it all, try googling the subject, I recall looking at a site back then that explained the results, ie if C peptide is low and glucose high it means blah.....my Consultant said my C peptide level in and of itself showed that I was producing insulin but not a great amount.

Geoffno6

I’ve just read your other threads. It must be so very frustrating that nobody is listening. With that low carb intake you’d expect lower numbers so that must be frustrating too

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure you have the correct units for your result?
Des the report give a reference range for the expected level?
Unfortunately so few people get this test that I can imagine there isn't a whole lot of experience on the forum of it.
I realise that's not much help to you at the moment.
Can I also ask who did the test?

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Medichecks did the test. It just said it's within normal range 1.49 ug/l. Apparently normal is within 1-5. I have looked at online converters and it's converts same in mg/l so still 1.49. I was expecting it to be a lot higher if I was type 2 or lower for type 1 tbh It's thrown me a bit.

M

Member496333

It may be within normal range but you have no idea if your pancreas is capable of producing more. As you’re diagnosed type 2, it seems it’s currently maxed-out at that level of production. It could be that its performance is waning as it is clogged up with fat, which explains why you’re now diabetic. Hope I’m making sense.

That’s my take on it based on my admittedly limited knowledge :)

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone. I am more confused than ever!! I thought type 2 was a high level of insulin albeit not working sufficiently. on the online sites I have looked at it just says High levels of c peptide and high blood sugar point to type 2 and low levels with high blood sugar is type 1. No mention of normal levels. Just to add I do follow Jason fung and eat mainly LCHF and do at least 2 x 36 hour fasts a week. Feel great but not much difference to blood sugars.

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jessica, I had a C peptide done in the first month of diagnosis. It was exactly the same as yours, 1.49 and I was told that was the 'lower end of normal', my glucose level at that time was 5.6. I had been on injected insulin for that month though so my thought was well would my body have had to produce insulin if I was injecting some? Never really got an answer. I for one, do not understand much of this diabetes stuff when it comes to the science of it all, try googling the subject, I recall looking at a site back then that explained the results, ie if C peptide is low and glucose high it means blah.....my Consultant said my C peptide level in and of itself showed that I was producing insulin but not a great amount.
Hi were you diagnosed straight away as type 1?

M

Member496333

Thank you everyone. I am more confused than ever!! I thought type 2 was a high level of insulin albeit not working sufficiently. on the online sites I have looked at it just says High levels of c peptide and high blood sugar point to type 2 and low levels with high blood sugar is type 1. No mention of normal levels. Just to add I do follow Jason fung and eat mainly LCHF and do at least 2 x 36 hour fasts a week. Feel great but not much difference to blood sugars.

Type 2 is characterised as hyperglycaemia, very usually accompanied by hyperinsulinemia, but not necessarily at the time of diagnosis. Assuming accuracy of the test, then put simply, that is the current maximum output of your pancreas. If it were capable of producing more then your blood glucose would almost certainly be lower, but even that would depend on your current level of insulin sensitivity.

It seems that you are currently very insulin resistant and that your pancreas cannot work any harder in order to overcome it. This being the case you’d have to be limiting your carbohydrate consumption very significantly and doing a fair bit of fasting. Even then it could be some time for insulin sensitivity to improve.

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 is characterised as hyperglycaemia, very usually accompanied by hyperinsulinemia, but not necessarily at the time of diagnosis. Assuming accuracy of the test, then put simply, that is the current maximum output of your pancreas. If it were capable of producing more then your blood glucose would almost certainly be lower, but even that would depend on your current level of insulin sensitivity.

It seems that you are currently very insulin resistant and that your pancreas cannot work any harder in order to overcome it. This being the case you’d have to be limiting your carbohydrate consumption very significantly and doing a fair bit of fasting. Even then it could be some time for insulin sensitivity to improve.
Thanks Jim I do try to stick to less than 20g per day. I find its mostly green veg as I am not a meat eater. Its a bit dis heartening though to get poor results when I feel I am trying hard!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jim I do try to stick to less than 20g per day. I find its mostly green veg as I am not a meat eater. Its a bit dis heartening though to get poor results when I feel I am trying hard!
Cant help regarding C-Peptide, I can however sympathise, I have been trying for years to maintain good bgs, I achieved great numbers with lchf in the early days but have progressively got worse numbers as time has passed, ive been through an assortment of meds to no avail, finally having success with insulin but I feel your pain, when you try hard and go backwards, its very frustrating :(

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cant help regarding C-Peptide, I can however sympathise, I have been trying for years to maintain good bgs, I achieved great numbers with lchf in the early days but have progressively got worse numbers as time has passed, ive been through an assortment of meds to no avail, finally having success with insulin but I feel your pain, when you try hard and go backwards, its very frustrating :(
I too had great success at first, but now every test I have is worse than the last.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I too had great success at first, but now every test I have is worse than the last.
I was always of the impression that if you put less sugar (carbs) in, the numbers have to be better, no choice, its physics. Have since learned thats not correct, when like you I didnt have to eat any carbs or any food at all in fact to be in the 20’s. I am currently enjoying 6’s between meals, if I catch my dose right I can practically flat line food, still getting silly morning numbers, wake at 6.2, 10 minutes later its 8.0, have a coffee its 12+, then I jab for breakfast and numbers are good again, this is so much better than without it so happy to be on the insulin, you cant ask questions about it though, everyone says talk to your dn lol

Maybe worth asking for it? I figure it dosent matter which type I am as if t1 this is the treatment *shrug*

Hope you get some help soon, no fun being where you are, I was where you are for a long time, dont want to think about any damage ive done :(

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi were you diagnosed straight away as type 1?

Hi there,

Yes, pretty much. Not just on the C peptide though, I had a positive GAD (antibody) test too, plus did not fit the so called type 2 'profile'.