C peptide results

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone. I am more confused than ever!! I thought type 2 was a high level of insulin albeit not working sufficiently. on the online sites I have looked at it just says High levels of c peptide and high blood sugar point to type 2 and low levels with high blood sugar is type 1. No mention of normal levels. Just to add I do follow Jason fung and eat mainly LCHF and do at least 2 x 36 hour fasts a week. Feel great but not much difference to blood sugars.

Jessica, if you have been low carb prior to the test, maybe that is why your C peptide is lower than you might expect? Would your body need to produce insulin in response to fewer carbs although I guess the anomaly is why your glucose levels were high (on low carb)! Can this same private service do an antibody check too?

Geoffno6

My C peptide was 1.66 back in September, while my GAD was 0.70, at that time my Hba1c was down to 57 from 126 in June. Those tests were fasting and I was diagnosed as T2 based on that. I was told a level between 0.5 and 3 was normal but that ‘it would be nice if my level was higher because my FBG was 8’ Now with my BG creeping up again, it was at 51 in November but I estimate it will be higher in the 50s now. I had another C peptide and Hba1c test last week because the Endocrinologist thinks I might be T1. I’ll let you know if I glean anything from the results

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently had a private C peptide blood test as I am still struggling to bring down blood sugars. On the morning of the test my blood sugar was 17.8mmol. The c peptide result has come back as normal 1.49ug/l. Surely it should be higher than this if my blood sugar is this high? Advice/ comments greatly appreciated before I see my GP!!

Was this test a fasting one? I had one earlier in the year but it was done two hours after my biggest meal. I’m confused as everyone seems to be tested differently. I still can’t find out if the fact I’m very very low carb would have affected the test results.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @jessica1612, none of us are qualified to provide an interpretation of your test results.
The person responsible for ordering this test is the person responsible for interpreting it for you.
That is the person who can best help you. You have paid for the test. There may be a comment by the doctor who reads the result at the lab. That comment and the test result will be sent to the doctor who ordered the test.
Best Wishes.

Reactions: Geoffno6