Cake!

badmedisin

Hi everyone,
I have friend who sometimes asks me to make birthday cakes for her sister who has type 2. I'm type 1, so I just eat normal cake and inject for it, but sadly she can't do that and the cakes have to be sugar free. I'm not sure she considers the implications of flour, raisins, etc in the cakes, but I can't force her to!
Anyway, last year I made a carrot cake sweetened with banana, which apparently they liked but I thought it was much too heavy. So this time I used splenda. Mistake! I think the texture suffered because of the lack of sugar. But it was by far the worst bitter sweetener aftertaste I've ever encountered! I grew up with canderel cakes and diet dr pepper, so I'm used to sweeteners even though I never liked them. But the splenda was scary. Also I'm confused as it says it has carbs in!

Anyway I was just wondering, what's your favourite special occasion sugar free cake? I like to feel proud of my cake creations, but my recent sugar free attempts have been so disappointing. I'm sure there must be a way I can get it right!

Thank you :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I make a Splenda version of Torta de Santiago, which is an almond cake. I've NEVER had trouble with Splenda. It stands up to cooking pretty well.
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been looking for recipes using agave syrup ( very low gi). I tried one that tasted good but was far too dry and heavy to recommend. I found one recently, that sounds interesting haven't tried it (there are only 2 of us and a whole cake would be normally be far too big)
Black bean chocolate cake! it uses agave and has no flour.
I can't link but its on a PDF that you will find if you google Black Bean mencap.
It sounds extremely low gi . Any testers?

badmedisin

Ooh thanks, they both look yummy! Also the sweet potato brownies in the mencap PDF look intriguing too. I'll give both your ideas a try I think.
When you use splenda, do you just substitute an equal volume for the sugar? I guess it won't convert weight for weight as the splenda doesn't seem to weigh anything. That almond cake is making me hungry now :)

amron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
badmedisin said:
Ooh thanks, they both look yummy! Also the sweet potato brownies in the mencap PDF look intriguing too. I'll give both your ideas a try I think.
When you use splenda, do you just substitute an equal volume for the sugar? I guess it won't convert weight for weight as the splenda doesn't seem to weigh anything. That almond cake is making me hungry now :)
Hi, we have a Low GI sugar in Australia, it is real sugar but not so sweet as normal sugar, do you know anything about this product and do you have it in the UK ? it makes beautiful cakes. I also use it on my porridge in the morning.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Romola said:
I just eat normal cake - but rarely - and a smallish piece each time.

thumbsup.gif
Me too, its not like its every day and a small slice is not going to raise my bg levels too much.