cake.......

peps1

Was my girlfriends birthday, and I had a slice of cake (mmmmmm chocolate cake!).

Now Iv only been diagnosed a couple of months, so really working on getting my numbers down, going low carb and testing my BG ALLLLL the time to try and get and handle on that foods do what to me.

I was total ready for this slice of cake to send my number sky high, but tested 1,2,3 and 4 hours after eating, and less then a 1point change in my BG ( 7.1-7.8 )?

I'm confused now........ :crazy:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it homemade? If so even though it has sugars and carbs, flour etc, its better, ay shop bought cake has additives etc. these have a 1 month or more shelf live, not good. Homemade has a couple of days, it's better.

I cannot eat bought cake, but can eat a fresh cake from Costco, these are made fresh (I don't do it all the time). Now I make my own from almond flour, so nice and no spikes at all :D

Grazer

Ann19 said:
Did you drink any alcohol?

Ann

I'd repeat Ann's question. As soon as I saw the word party, I thought "alcohol keeping Bgs down". I always have my carby treats after a few drinks. Sorry if I'm wrong!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like your diabetes is at an early stage and you still have reasonable blood sugar control? That gives you a bit more flexibility in what you eat than others. Just keep testing and find out what foods do affect you.

peps1

Ann19 said:
Did you drink any alcohol?
No, not a drop.......really not a big drinker, but if it keeps down the BG, what tipples should I be considering?

BioHaZarD said:
Was it homemade?
No, it was a Sainsbury's Seriously Chocolatey Cake, nom nom nom!

per 100g per slice
Cal 440kCal 371kCal
Fat 23.5g 19.8g
Sat Fat 9.3g 7.8g
Sugar 30.0g 25.3g
Salt 0.2g 0.2g

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
peps1 said:
it was a Sainsbury's Seriously Chocolatey Cake, nom nom nom!

per 100g per slice
Cal 440kCal 371kCal
Fat 23.5g 19.8g
Sat Fat 9.3g 7.8g
Sugar 30.0g 25.3g
Salt 0.2g 0.2g

Do you know how many carbs per 100g? What else did you eat? If you ate things with very low or no carbs but lots of fat, that would slow the carb digestion down.

If you do have the odd drink, the best things so as not to put your levels up are spirits with a slimline mixer, no carbs in spirits and make sure the mixer has none. Wine is very low carb too, so a glass or three with a meal usually has no effect on levels with me. Beer is higher in carbs, but there is one or two that are lowish carb, haven't tried and tested those though!

Ann

Grazer

Ann19 said:
Beer is higher in carbs, but there is one or two that are lowish carb, haven't tried and tested those though!

Coors light. Nice, normal strength, half the carbs of normal beer.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grazer said:
Ann19 said:
Beer is higher in carbs, but there is one or two that are lowish carb, haven't tried and tested those though!

Coors light. Nice, normal strength, half the carbs of normal beer.

Thanks Grazer, I couldn't remember what it was called. I'll have to put it onto the shopping list, purely in the name of research of course! :angel: :lolno:

Ann

peps1

HI Ann
Ann19 said:
Do you know how many carbs per 100g?

per 100g is 51g carb (31g of suger)......would it help if I had another slice just to test? :angel:

Ann19 said:
What else did you eat? If you ate things with very low or no carbs but lots of fat, that would slow the carb digestion down.

Not a lot of fat, had chicken cabbage and broccoli before the cake

Ann19 said:
If you do have the odd drink, the best things so as not to put your levels up are spirits with a slimline mixer, no carbs in spirits and make sure the mixer has none.

So GnT is a go!

(take it i should still avoid sweet liquors like amaretto)

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes G&T is okay as long as the mixer is slimline. According to the 'bible' (calorie, carb and fat version) Amaretto is 60 grms of carb/100ml :( a great shame as I'm partial to a coffee with amaretto.

Ann

Defren

To the OP I would just say, count yourself lucky you could eat the cake, now shut up about it, many of us would be flying on our BG levels with that amount of carbs!! :lol:

peps1

Defren said:
To the OP I would just say, count yourself lucky you could eat the cake, now shut up about it, many of us would be flying on our BG levels with that amount of carbs!! :lol:

:lol: