Calcium supplements

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, spitting, dog poop on the pavement
I have coeliac disease and osteopenia do an on a calcium supplement. It a very sweet chewable tablet and my blood sugar 30 to 40 minutes after taking it was 8.4. Higher than my average of 5.6. I wonder if there’s an alternative?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day test 30, 60 and 120 minutes after.
I think a quick short sharp rise is just your body reacting to soemthing sweet. It's the recovery time that's important , the shorter the better.
My vitamin C tablet is sweet too, but the benefits outweigh the little blip, imho.

• Agree
Reactions: Oldvatr and Ellenw

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you, I’ll try that. And yes I agree about the benefits

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at some of the studies done for calcium supplementation, the main take is that in general the supplement dropped bgl glucose levels. Now In all cases the supplement they used was a Calcium + Vitamin D combined supplement. Calcium on its own will be going nowhere if you are deficient in vitamin D3 which applies to most of us in the Northern hemisphere. To make calcium enter the bones, it needs both vitamin D and vitamin K (technically D3 and K2 for best effect). Is yours a combo?

Childrens supplements have added sugar. If this applies to yours, then yes you should be able to change to a standard supplement.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM and Ellenw

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have coeliac disease and osteopenia do an on a calcium supplement. It a very sweet chewable tablet and my blood sugar 30 to 40 minutes after taking it was 8.4. Higher than my average of 5.6. I wonder if there’s an alternative?
I too have osteopoenia and take a lot of supplements (probably too many) including calcium citrate with vitamin D, as well as prescription pills. It makes my blood boil when I see eg dextrose or maize starch included in vitamin or mineral tablets or, worse, in prescription meds. Before I buy I research the ingredients. These can vary a lot. A full list of ingredients is normally given by firms selling supplements eg Holland & Barratt or Healthspan. It is usually possible to find a form without carbs.
This is the form of calcium I have settled on:

Solgar Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D3 - Healthy Bones & Teeth - High Potency Formula - 240 Tablets​

The citrate form of calcium is supposed to be the most absorbable. In addition I make sure to take my tablets with food. The ingredients are not perfecr, but at least they should not raise bg.
If I have found a more bg friendly form of pills I have been prescribed, I have sometimes been able to get my GP to prescribe them for me instead. However I find that nowadays the NHS usually expects us to buy our own supplements.

NB I have nothing to gain from Solgar, H&B or Healthspan.
Good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: Ellenw and Oldvatr

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

is your supplement prescribed, @Ellenw ? If so, and if your rise is sustained, then have a word with your prescriber about alternatives. If it is OTC, it might still be worthwhile having a chat with your pharmacist about options.

Does the Coeliac Society offer any insight?

Reactions: Ellenw

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Looking at some of the studies done for calcium supplementation, the main take is that in general the supplement dropped bgl glucose levels. Now In all cases the supplement they used was a Calcium + Vitamin D combined supplement. Calcium on its own will be going nowhere if you are deficient in vitamin D3 which applies to most of us in the Northern hemisphere. To make calcium enter the bones, it needs both vitamin D and vitamin K (technically D3 and K2 for best effect). Is yours a combo?

Childrens supplements have added sugar. If this applies to yours, then yes you should be able to change to a standard supplement.
Yes it’s calcium and vitamin d

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
is your supplement prescribed, @Ellenw ? If so, and if your rise is sustained, then have a word with your prescriber about alternatives. If it is OTC, it might still be worthwhile having a chat with your pharmacist about options.

Does the Coeliac Society offer any insight?
Thank you, yes it’s a prescription. I have my annual diabetic check in the next couple of months so will raise it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it’s calcium and vitamin d
Walgreens calcium and D chewables have 3 g sugar per tab. Most of he ones I looked at had zero calories and zero carbs in the chewable, so it seems you may wish to change the make.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM