Missbiss21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone in the community could help me - as I sit here bored, frustrated and a bit disenchanted by my job, day dreaming of doing something I am passionate about.

I have always wanted to do my PhD, I currently have my masters in Organisational Psychology however my passion more lies in Health Psychology, no more so that moving from the other side of the world starting my first "real career" job and realising how ill equipped some workplaces are for those diabetes are. From my frustrations with my employer, a insulin pump and hospital trip later, along with the growing media around diabetes and the increases worldwide, I had an idea for a research topic that combines my passion for workplace health and my background in organisational psychology, at looking how we can design jobs that both prevents and helps those with diabetes.

This is where I need some help - I have looked at some universities health psychology programmes, however as I am from New Zealand I have no contacts with the academic community here. I have a associate who used to work at Novo Nordisk - who he thought might be interested in this research, however he is a bit unreliable with replying so I have had no luck getting in front of anyone there. If anyone has any contacts or knows anyone or even themselves could help me that would be great.

Please help this bored, slightly burnt out kiwi find my passion and hopefully help all of you :D.

Thanks!

Megan

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear you are bored. Perhaps you may be able to approach your local hospital, they must deal with diabetics coming in from all walks of life. If there is a 'centre of excellence' nearby they may be interested. The main problem is with finding sponsorship to fund the research. The big drug companies will have their own pet projects and other big businesses are interested in whatever makes their workforce more productive for the least cost to them, which is one reason that diabetics tend to keep quiet at work so that they don't get branded as being 'difficult'. Perhaps you can start a programme through your local library they often have groups for people of all ages and are constantly looking for new ideas.