Cambridgeshire type 1 diabetic meet up groups

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, I am hoping to find a few groups in Cambridgeshire for meeting/chatting. I don't have anyone I know or talk to that is a type 1 diabetic (other tan this forum). I recently I realised it may be good to go along to a group meet (even if a walk outside within covid-19 guidelines). I know diabetes charities have groups in Huntingdon and Bedford, which is about 30-45 mins away, I didn't know if anyone knew of a group nearer Cambridge, or if there are people on here who are close by and enjoy walks and would like to inbox me?

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a local support groups page on

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/

But it seems that the Huntingdon and Bedford groups are the closest to Cambridge amazingly.

Maybe time to start one in Cambridge?
Yeah, its very odd, as I thought there would be one closer to Cambridge. I think your right, starting one off may be the best way to go. I think as diabetics (especially myself), it's hard to find people who understand and that you can meet close by.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, its very odd, as I thought there would be one closer to Cambridge. I think your right, starting one off may be the best way to go. I think as diabetics (especially myself), it's hard to find people who understand and that you can meet close by.

Might be worth contacting DUK as for T1's they seem to be pretty on the ball and may be able to give you some help.

I had a rather unpleasant run in with the person who runs our local group so decided to keep well away!

And she didn't even have diabetes her poor husband did.

Just beware they do seem to like asking for money a lot though...

Reactions: Miriam12345

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, will definitely ask.

Wow, that's so strange. Poor man!

I think if I was going to start a group it would be very much a small, thing, as I don't think I could create a proper "official group", just a little thing.

It would just be nice to have people who get me for once.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, will definitely ask.

Wow, that's so strange. Poor man!

I think if I was going to start a group it would be very much a small, thing, as I don't think I could create a proper "official group", just a little thing.

It would just be nice to have people who get me for once.

Have you asked at your local Clinic or Hospital? They may have informal things going on?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However if you do start something yourself, now may not be the right time given Covid, people may be very wary of going and meeting people even if you stay well apart

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However if you do start something yourself, now may not be the right time given Covid, people may be very wary of going and meeting people even if you stay well apart
Completely get that. It is more to meet people in the area who are also type 1, as far as I am concerned, I follow the rules.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I don't really get much info from my clinic unfortunately.
Is that Addenbrooke's by any chance? I have just looked up their diabetes department and was shocked that they don't appear to have a "Meet the Team" site anymore. They are also running a skeleton crew in Clinic 12, so I would guess it's much the same in most departments.It might be worth phoning PALS on 01223 216756, who might be able to point you in some direction(!) or Email them at [email protected] . I think part of the problem is that in my experience, many groups have a high average age mebership - Bury St Edmunds must be over 60, but at least they are very friendly.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that Addenbrooke's by any chance? I have just looked up their diabetes department and was shocked that they don't appear to have a "Meet the Team" site anymore. They are also running a skeleton crew in Clinic 12, so I would guess it's much the same in most departments.It might be worth phoning PALS on 01223 216756, who might be able to point you in some direction(!) or Email them at [email protected] . I think part of the problem is that in my experience, many groups have a high average age mebership - Bury St Edmunds must be over 60, but at least they are very friendly.
Thank you Grant. Yeah, I was hoping not to bother the diabetic team as I understand they are very busy, and especially at the moment. Plus I just see them for my appointments, nothing else. I will take a look at that group you sent thank you for your advice! I understand, I know a couple of older people with type 1, and I am willing to meet people of all ages, I would however like to meet people around my own age aswell.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Maybe you could post this in the Young People/Adults section. Over the last 3 years I have become aware that there are several people in East Anglia who post, but how many more who might be in your position?