Can a high reading ever be normal?

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My youngest daughter is type 1 diabetic, diagnosed July 2016. Recently I decided to do a sort of home glucose tolerance test on myself to get a baseline on how a healthy person reacts to glucose. I drank 60g carbs worth of glucojuice and my too reading over the next 2hrs, I topped out at 12mmol and it came back down over the next couple of hours. Just now I ate a cookie and after a while started to feel really odd, thirsty, needing the loo lots and headache, I decided to test again, 10.8mmol and half an hour later 12.1mmol another half an hour 9.8mmol. I'm 27, healthy, slim/athletic build... last week someone asked if I lost weight too.

Am I right to be concerned? My daughter's dad is T1 but is there a chance I could be too!? I'm honestly terrified

Reactions: Freema

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You should check what your blood glucose levels are upon waking (i.e. fasting blood glucose).

Reactions: shivles

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
4.9 this morning... It seems to be I'm just spiking too high after food but it's coming down in between

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would discuss this with your doc who can run some tests which will give you more information.

However, I would also do a bit of reading (the website link above is excellent) on what actually constitutes 'normal' - although it is worth remembering that it is a site written for Type 2 diabetics, not Type 1s, so please don't think that the research and information on it is applicable to your T1 family. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should check what your blood glucose levels are upon waking (i.e. fasting blood glucose).

Completely disagree, I'm afraid. Without other tests post prandial it tells you nothing. If it is high, it could be stress, liver dumps, whatever. If it is low it simply means you don't have impaired fasting glucose.
My FBG and in between meals have been normal almost since diagnosis, but my post meals were far from..

Reactions: shivles and Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has to be up to your doctor to diagnose your condition, we are not qualified and not there so can only advise.

Reactions: shivles

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Completely disagree, I'm afraid. Without other tests post prandial it tells you nothing. If it is high, it could be stress, liver dumps, whatever. If it is low it simply means you don't have impaired fasting glucose.
My FBG and in between meals have been normal almost since diagnosis, but my post meals were far from..
I meant in addition to the tests she was already doing after she ate. If morning fasting is at diabetic levels, she should be very worried and definitely see a doctor. If morning fasting is normal, then there's less to worry about, but she should still be worried about the high levels after eating.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I realise none of you are doctors and I'm not after a diagnosis, I just wanted to make sure I was right to be worried about a few readings at 12 before arranging to see the GP, thanks

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me