Can a one-off meal really set back and ruin your results?

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blow out last week at Wetherspoons, sausage mash and peas, bg numbers shot up to over 9 an hour later, but by 9pm back to 5.8. So to answer your question it didn't make much difference to me, but I won't be doing it again in a hurry as it wasn't that good !! Have become used to my cooking the good stuff too so restuarant food is regularly disappointing, mind you I can expect some comments about Wetherspoons, although their steaks with a salad are my regular choice when I meet up with mates there.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I went with my family to the Zizzi Italian restaurant in town a couple of months ago as my son was back in the uk for a short while and had a huge blow out I'm still here still in remission so I don't think a one off at a restaurant is necessarily that damaging but only you can gauge the risk and whether it's worth taking.

Dabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At a place I visit in Sheffield they do a naked burger all the bits no bread I just add sweet potato fries 2 share add a couple of Pepsi max and It does not seem to push my bg up more than my normal meals and I get to enjoy time with my friends

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any bother getting most places to cobble something suitable together - at least so far, and I have been low carbing for decades, thought I don't eat out very often it isn't actually a recent decision.
Peas are twice as carb laden as the mix of berries I usually buy, so I am cautious about them - sweet potatoes are more carb laden than ordinary ones - but I don't eat either sort.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I ate out at a carvery a few weeks ago and that was easy. There weren't any suitable desserts so I asked if they could do strawberries and cream. They did ....... but covered it in a sweet sickly red sauce and icing sugar!

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My plan was always to start out really strict and then see what I could get away with. What I found was it gets easier and easier to be what I used to think of as 'strict' and I don't really have a problem with it anymore as that is normal. Over the past couple months I had a few really carby meals and found that for the most part it was no where near as good as I remembered. None of it seemed to effect my BG much but why bother.

For me now I go nuts with something like a takeaway curry that should in theory be LC (and my own cauli rice) where I can't be totally sure what is in it, a few chips with aoli when I am with friends at the pub, <20g of carbs in a desert now and then. I don't really miss it anymore.

I had a hard time eating out at first and now I just see it as a challenge, how can I construct something from the menu that is low carb. Sauces/dressings are always tricky and so that is the part I relax about when I go out but through experience I know I am OK with it and they are probably not all that bad.

Reactions: Incyb

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have half a chicken or a big old steak.
Have a small onion and tomato side salad

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I always ask for a side salad in place of chips in these steak and chips type restaurants. You could always skip dessert and have a coffee with cream (check it’s real cream, not any of that sweetened squirty stuff!).
Good idea but best to ask them to leave out the salad dressing.

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I ate out at a carvery a few weeks ago and that was easy. There weren't any suitable desserts so I asked if they could do strawberries and cream. They did ....... but covered it in a sweet sickly red sauce and icing sugar!
That would be sugar syrup

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If I were to go of the rails it would be a nice Lamb Pathia with Peshwari naan bread chapatis and keema rice all washed down with a glass Merlot.

Will let you know how it went tomorrow.

Edit to add 6.5 before and 5.8 two hours after meal as described.

Last edited:

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I go to harvester sometimes. I tend to stuff myself up with the salad and have the grilled salmon with veg. To be honest one off meal won’t do much harm but it can set your bloods off for a good couple of days so i don’t think it’s worth it xxx

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well after all that was at 4.3 at bedtime and fbg this morning was 5.1 so it seems nothing where diabetes is concerned is written in stone with words of fire. You just can never tell another time and my blood sugars would have in all probability been in the stratosphere.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I go by what my diabetic nurse said when I was first diagnosed. Do not allow food or food worries to ruin your life. Go out to that Birthday Dinner and have a good time. A one off break from the norm will not kills you as long as you don't go mad.
That's good advice for elderly and none obese patients but people like me don't lose weight or reduce their huge insulin need, on such maintainence advice.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry ickihum I don't understand your comment. I am neither elderly nor slim. I have lost weight in the past, but recently put weight back on, BMI is 44, mainly due to being only 4ft 11. Yes - diabetics need to take care what they eat, but if it is ruining your life or happiness / stressing you out with worry then a break from the norm is worth taking.

True.
Life ain't worth it if you are scared of living it.
Sensible is good enough.

Reactions: Sparrow456

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to a Chinese Buffet last night with mates to celebrate his 35th birthday!

Had x3 full plates including ice cream and Chinese cakes for desert.

Bg level before dinner: 5.7
2 hours later: 7.4
Another 2 hours later: 4.9

I think this all depends on your HBA1C or how much insulin your pancreas still have.

I’m happy!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I’m thinking I should have had 5 plates instead of 3!

Hahahahaha!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to a Chinese Buffet last night with mates to celebrate his 35th birthday!

Had x3 full plates including ice cream and Chinese cakes for desert.

Bg level before dinner: 5.7
2 hours later: 7.4
Another 2 hours later: 4.9

I think this all depends on your HBA1C or how much insulin your pancreas still have.

I’m happy!

I'd have been goood with a night out.

Not that the numbers aren't a bonus, but seriously, sitting in with a boiled egg, and feeling good about not having a blip wouldn't do as much for me.