Can an insulin pen fail?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So this morning taking my NR; needle in leg then click click and no click no matter how hard I pressed then thingy at the top, anyway so 9 of the 11 units were delivered before it packed up.

This is scary **** nearly 40 years of using syringes NOTHING has malfunctioned 3 weeks on these pens and one has already packed up on me.

In the above scenario is it OK to take the remaining number of units within a few mins of taking the first shot?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a couple of pens fail (over the space of about 25 years) so yes they can fail - but not often at all.

And yes just grab a new pen and give yourself the remaining number of units. It is perfectly ok to take more than one shot if the you didn't get enough from the first one.

D

Deleted Account

To add to the response from @Rokaab I would suggest keeping closer tabs on your BG for the next few hours.
It is possible that you did not have all the 9 units you thoughts so you may go a little high.
If this happens, as usual, correct and test.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been doing that anyway. Lets see it's almost lunch so I'll just take an extra unit or 2 if need be.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have not had a pen fail. yet but if I did I would Contact the Company making them and complain,and ask for a replacement.if it came from NHS same thing tell them.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Hubby has had a couple fail over the years. Always make sure you have a spare.