Can anyone advise on the Accu-chek Mobile BG monitoring system

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A friend recommended to me the Accu-Chek Mobile BG meter which he uses when travelling. Does anybody use this meter system and can they offer any advice please.

Reactions: 2 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use this and love it.

It is simple, you can test one handed, the lancet is practically painless.

I find testing easy now but you do need to get into the swing of it as if you do not apply enough blood or apply it in the wrong place then it will give you an error message and you have to re-test and lose a test. But you do get in the swing of it.

I find it easiest to prick, get a good blood drop then open the bottom of the meter to test, if you open and then prick if the blood is not flowing it can start a bit of a panic as if you do dilly about it will lose a test.

The cassettes are not the cheapest but I have found a source on Amazon that sells 100 tests (2 cartridges) for 39.99 so it works out at 39p a test.

I know this is not the cheapest around but I like its ease of use and the fact that I just throw away the cassettes every 50 tests and the drums of lancets are easily disposed of.

Hope this helps.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the meter and love it.

After I bothered to read the instructions (about 3 months later) I found out that you shouldn't press too hard when you have a droplet of blood ready.

Reading the instructions is not a "man" thing.

Reactions: 4 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Type 1, Roche will send you one with a cassette of 50 tests for free if you contact them through their website. They will make their money back on what they make on prescription cassettes if you decide you like it.

Personally, I find not mucking about with individual test strips to be very handy.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am type 2 and strips are prescribed...wondering why some people do not get prescriptions for strips although I do buy some from Boots if i run out ...

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your comments and helpful tips. I might just get one for when I am out and about. I'll try Roche thanks CapnGrumpy.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is one thing I have noticed that on Amazon at the moment a 50 test cartridge is about the same price as the test kit which comes with 50 tests so you could almost treat it as a disposable meter and just keep buying a new meter as and when required.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is one thing I have noticed that on Amazon at the moment a 50 test cartridge is about the same price as the test kit which comes with 50 tests so you could almost treat it as a disposable meter and just keep buying a new meter as and when required.
Good point, thanks.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use this alongside my Libre, I like that it's all in one and find the lancet devise very gentle. Highly recommended. It's a little big and clunky but much better than carrying around a separate meter, strip and lancets. I've not had issues with accuracy or failed tests.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use this and love it.

It is simple, you can test one handed, the lancet is practically painless.

I find testing easy now but you do need to get into the swing of it as if you do not apply enough blood or apply it in the wrong place then it will give you an error message and you have to re-test and lose a test. But you do get in the swing of it.

I find it easiest to prick, get a good blood drop then open the bottom of the meter to test, if you open and then prick if the blood is not flowing it can start a bit of a panic as if you do dilly about it will lose a test.

The cassettes are not the cheapest but I have found a source on Amazon that sells 100 tests (2 cartridges) for 39.99 so it works out at 39p a test.

I know this is not the cheapest around but I like its ease of use and the fact that I just throw away the cassettes every 50 tests and the drums of lancets are easily disposed of.

Hope this helps.

I use this as my back up meter, (when I run out of my prescribed ones on the areo). I agree with everything in the above post. The error messages can be annoying, but the convenience is worth the hastle! The strips are easily available in most chemists which is a huge plus in my book.

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use this alongside my Libre, I like that it's all in one and find the lancet devise very gentle. Highly recommended. It's a little big and clunky but much better than carrying around a separate meter, strip and lancets. I've not had issues with accuracy or failed tests.
Thanks for your reply pinewood. I've got my free meter from Roche today and it only took a couple of days to despatch to me. It will seem strange to switch from my trusty Bayer Contour XT but the Accu-Chek Mobile seems much less hassle.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did that at first and have 3 meters, but you can buy the test cartridges on Ebay for around $20 for 100 tests (2 cassettes). I bought 200 tests (4 cassettes) for $25 recently.
The $ sign is because the pound sign isn't working on my pc).