Type 2 Can anyone answer this?

Anne999

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was in your situation exactly last September. He had his annual blood tests and the doctor said "your HbA1c level is 52 You have diabetes type2. If your level is 48 you are diabetic." (My husband is not computer literate, he's 84 so I'm writing).
We knew nothing about all these numbers. The doctor booked him on the local area day course, a diabetic eye test and said 'book yourself with a podiatrist.' But they weren't till December. Meanwhile he said to lose 2 stone in 8 weeks by 'cutting out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Eat smaller portions and drink 8 glasses of water a day and don't graze between meals.' By the time we went on the course he'd gone down from 13 stone to 10 stone 10.lbs. which is a weight loss of 2 stone 4lbs. His waist measurement had gone down from 42inches to 37 and a half inches. He was sent for another set of blood tests and when the results came through in January his HbAlc had gone down to 44 and the doctor said 'you are no longer diabetic but we'll keep an eye on you'.
Instead of those carbs he has proper porridge from proper old fashioned oats for breakfast. We have two cooked meals a day or one salad and the other cooked.
The cooked meals are white meat or fish with a mix of about 5 or 7 steamed veg (sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, parsnips,mashed swede, leeks, beetroot, onion,celery and sweet corn). He has ryvita and seven pieces of fruit throughout the day.
We don't use sugar, honey, don't have cakes or biscuits. We only use skimmed milk. We don't bother with fruit juice, only water or cups of tea.
(I now eat exactly the same but I still eat some bread occasionally and have lost 10lbs). So keeping down the carbs is definitely the solution.
We both suffered withdrawal symptoms for four weeks so it was pretty stressful. But now I dont have a potato, rice or pasta in the house and we no longer miss them. We can walk past the burger bars and no longer feel tempted by the smell.
We do eat out about once a month but only at places where they allow a choice.
Quite a few places offer takeaway salads with chicken or fish these days.
Keep it up. You'll come through. And it was worth it to hear the doctor say 'you are no longer diabetic).

Reactions: Ly_atdia and Salvia

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is what I do everyday.
Get up check my BG and BLOOD pressure. Cuz my BP is slight height during the visit.
And I just have some chia seeds or an apple or milk. I'm off to school. Until lunch I ate 1/3 of (before I ate 3/3 of it) and some fish and veggie or fruit. And at night
- just low-fat yoghurt with but OR
-veggie or fruit or having nothing and go to sleep.
And repeat over again
**** but I go to gym 5 times a week or more than that.

the best is to drop the fruit and change to berries or just eat a tomato instead of the fruit... fruit inkluding apples are not one of te good choices for diabetics... but 100 gr strawberries or blueberries or rasberries are a much better choice

Reactions: Ly_atdia

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you were not producing any insulin at all then you'd be very ill - type 2 is often a resistance to the insulin you do make, and dropping carbohydrates can help a great deal - you are still eating carbs all day, so changing that could help a lot.
Seeds, fruit and milk all add up the carbs and do not give your metabolism a rest.

Reactions: Ly_atdia

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My husband was in your situation exactly last September. He had his annual blood tests and the doctor said "your HbA1c level is 52 You have diabetes type2. If your level is 48 you are diabetic." (My husband is not computer literate, he's 84 so I'm writing).
We knew nothing about all these numbers. The doctor booked him on the local area day course, a diabetic eye test and said 'book yourself with a podiatrist.' But they weren't till December. Meanwhile he said to lose 2 stone in 8 weeks by 'cutting out bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Eat smaller portions and drink 8 glasses of water a day and don't graze between meals.' By the time we went on the course he'd gone down from 13 stone to 10 stone 10.lbs. which is a weight loss of 2 stone 4lbs. His waist measurement had gone down from 42inches to 37 and a half inches. He was sent for another set of blood tests and when the results came through in January his HbAlc had gone down to 44 and the doctor said 'you are no longer diabetic but we'll keep an eye on you'.
Instead of those carbs he has proper porridge from proper old fashioned oats for breakfast. We have two cooked meals a day or one salad and the other cooked.
The cooked meals are white meat or fish with a mix of about 5 or 7 steamed veg (sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, parsnips,mashed swede, leeks, beetroot, onion,celery and sweet corn). He has ryvita and seven pieces of fruit throughout the day.
We don't use sugar, honey, don't have cakes or biscuits. We only use skimmed milk. We don't bother with fruit juice, only water or cups of tea.
(I now eat exactly the same but I still eat some bread occasionally and have lost 10lbs). So keeping down the carbs is definitely the solution.
We both suffered withdrawal symptoms for four weeks so it was pretty stressful. But now I dont have a potato, rice or pasta in the house and we no longer miss them. We can walk past the burger bars and no longer feel tempted by the smell.
We do eat out about once a month but only at places where they allow a choice.
Quite a few places offer takeaway salads with chicken or fish these days.
Keep it up. You'll come through. And it was worth it to hear the doctor say 'you are no longer diabetic).

So eventually, your husband are not diabetic. If so, I wish I can come out like him. But my story is far from the that. I visit the doctor, my BG IS 202.and my A1c is 8.2. I'm sure enough.
Thanks

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
the best is to drop the fruit and change to berries or just eat a tomato instead of the fruit... fruit inkluding apples are not one of te good choices for diabetics... but 100 gr strawberries or blueberries or rasberries are a much better choice

Okay, I try. But I'm in love with

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you were not producing any insulin at all then you'd be very ill - type 2 is often a resistance to the insulin you do make, and dropping carbohydrates can help a great deal - you are still eating carbs all day, so changing that could help a lot.
Seeds, fruit and milk all add up the carbs and do not give your metabolism a rest.

Okay.

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Losing 20 kg in two months is unrealistic. I weighed slightly more than you on diagnosis, and am slightly shorter than you. My doctor said that losing 10% of my body weight was a good goal, which amounted to just under 9 kgs. I had an appointment 10 weeks later, but he didn't expect me to have lost that much by then. I switched to LCHF and the kilos started dropping off, so that I had, in fact, lost them by my doctor's appointment. My doctor was really surprised and really chuffed that I had achieved the weight loss.

Now I am 12,5 kg into my weight loss, after 3.5 months. I am also aiming for 64 kg as the final goal. 11.5 to go, and I'm giving myself until the end of the year to achieve it - or longer, if necessary.