Can anyone help interpreting test results please?

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, my last HbA1C, 3 months after starting low-carb diet, was 44 (down from66). I have just been for repeat testing, and also asked for cholesterol testing too. I expected results to be higher, as I was regimented with my eating and calculating initially, and have been trying different foods over the last 3 months - also had a 4 year old living with me for 10 weeks, so lots of things went out of the window! I don't have previous cholesterol result other than being told "3.5" last time.

Results now are HbA1DC - 47 mmol/mol. Serum HDL 1.63 Serum cholesterol 4.0 mmol/l, Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.5 Serum non high density lipoprotent cholesterol level 2.4 mmol/L. Crikey. Can anyone tell me if there is anything to worry about here? I should like to be forewarned before I see my DN. She is very helpful though, so I am sure I can have a good discussion, and just want to 'tweak' my diet so that my diabetes control is much more manageable. Thank you.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure those in the know will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand - you're all good.

TC: 4 (ideally <4 for those deemed high risk, <5 for healthy adults)
HDL: 1.63 (ideally >1.2)
Non HDL: 2.4 (ideally <4)
TC ratio: 2.5 (lower the better, >6 deemed high risk of problems)
HbA1c: 47 (great result, always room for improvement though).

As I said, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong - but it seems like you're doing well:)

https://heartuk.org.uk/health-and-high-cholesterol/cholesterol-tests---know-your-number

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure those in the know will correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand - you're all good.

TC: 4 (ideally <4 for those deemed high risk, <5 for healthy adults)
HDL: 1.63 (ideally >1.2)
Non HDL: 2.4 (ideally <4)
TC ratio: 2.5 (lower the better, >6 deemed high risk of problems)
HbA1c: 47 (great result, always room for improvement though).

As I said, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong - but it seems like you're doing well:)

https://heartuk.org.uk/health-and-high-cholesterol/cholesterol-tests---know-your-number
Thank you. Having had diabetes for 22 years, treated under NHS regime until this year, I'll take them as good results for now.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Yai Obviously your HbA1c has gone up from 44 - 47, but still within the pre-diabetic range. Hopefully it will lower again if you don't have 4 yo to cater for.
Your cholesterol figures all look good, though your DN might say you need to lower total cholesterol to less than 4 (NHS guideline figure for T2s).
But your ratios are probably good if not ideal. You can get your ratios by entering your figures on cholesterol calculator:
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php