Can anyone help? Very down.

reamer2

Hello all.

Diagnosed last May with hba1c of 9.2. Was very shocked at the time as I had none of the usual symptoms, ie excessive thirst and going to the loo regularly. I went to see the doctor because of extreme tiredness.

Anyway, was partly relieved because I now had a reason for how I was feeling but at the same time very angry at life becauce in the last 3 years have had one thing after the other.

Was doing quite well in watching my diet, last hba1c was 7. Doctor told me that she wanted my next test to be below 6.5.

Therein lies my problem. Just recently, I have started feeling very resentful over having to constantly watch my diet or eating something I know I shouldn't and then feeling very guilty afterwards.

I have to depend solely on diet and medication to bring my levels down as I am partially disabled and unable to exercise.

Can anyone offer any advice or cheer me up?

Many thanks

Mary

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mary,
Like you I have been frustrated in the past about the Doctors asking for me to get my BG levels down, at first I panicked and thought it would never happen. Now I just take things as they come, my initial BG level at Jan 09 was 10.3 and now I am 6.2 thanks to meds and diet. I am not to rigorous with my diet, I have a little of what I fancy still, but I do watch how much I eat and specifically what I eat. Try not to dwell too much, do the best you can, set a goal to get down to say 6.9, besides I am told 7.0 is within the limits?

I too am unable to exercise due to having RA so I am limited on what I can do, I would dearly love to go to the gym but with having diabetes and RA I find it difficult to find a gym that are savvy about conditions such as I have. I hope you feel better about your condition soon, I know it's hard to get used to it, but you will.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mary
Frustration is normal.
You need to get yourself convinced that you will beat it and get that HbA1c down.
As for exercise, My local authority Sports Centre runs a scheme for people with Health issues. including a seated exercise class, which has wheelchair bound people in among others. The camaraderie of the classes is part of their effectiveness. You don't feel alone.
Have a hunt around, perhaps there's something similar in your area.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello Mary

I am so sorry that you are feeling so down just now. As you are starting to resent the restrictions to what you eat you probably need to work out some treats for yourself. What things do you really love and is there some way you can tweak them to be included in your new way of eating? If that is not possible then you will have to be inventive and work out some new treats that will fit. There are some brilliant ideas in the recipe section and if you can't find what you fancy just ask as there are many inventive cooks on here. It is also a mind thing, it is not a diet – it is a new way of eating! 8)

I too have problems with exercising as such but have decided that movement of some kind or another is what I must do. I find it easier in water and have just started going to a pool regularly with a friend with me to help if I need it. I don’t know what the nature of your disability is but there may well be some small thing that you can try. Little steps!

Don’t lose sight of the fact that you have done amazingly well to get your BG levels down so far in such a short time. In ratio to what you have already achieved the new target is not such a huge one. You are obviously feeling weary with it all but keep in touch so that we can give you a boost when you need it. We do know how you feel! :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hope we can help. You may find this thread useful - self management

I am currently on a T2 X-PERT course, & you will see my approach to diet there. Please - only read the first page - there were lots of unpleasant comments from page 2 onwards. I've just prepared a leaflet to go with the course. I'll put the recipes on a second post.

For exercise with limited mobility I would suggest singing, chair exercises, line dancing. Have you a community centre nearby? Ours has lots of suitable activities, & anything done in company will be easier with mutual encouragement. My wife swims, & we go to the hospital gym for their heart rehab exercise class. (Ann had a heart attack several years ago.)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Recipes

Bread
50 ml ground almonds; 50 ml soya flour; 1/2 tsp baking powder;
optional - milled nuts; bran; cinnamon; herbs
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl
Add 1 egg; 30 ml oil & mix thoughly;
Add water - for soft 'dropping' consistency
MW on full for 1 1/2 mins
loosen edges & tip out on a rack to cool
About 100 g - total 4 g carb, 1 g per portion.
Its bread, Jim, but not as we know it. Double the quantities & double the cooking time. It toasts OK.
That is enough for 1 day

Cake
50 ml ground almond; 30 ml soya flour; 30 ml cocoa;
Splenda (sweetener) 30 ml; 1 tsp baking powder
Continue as for 'bread.'

All sorts of variation possible - add soaked sultanas for a fruit cake.
Use unsweetened yoghurt or cream for a sponge puddings.

Porridge
2 dsp ground almonds; 1 dsp oat bran; 1 dsp wheat germ;
1 dsp milled nuts; 1 dsp coconut; 1 tsp cinnamon; 1 saccharin
Mix in a glass jug, mix with about 200 ml soya milk
M/wave for 2½ minutes, stir & m/wave for 1 minute
Needs watching as it may boil over. Adjust times for your m/w.

Main meals
Meats & fish are cooked as usual. I eat a lot of root vegetable casseroles cooked with a little water (150 ml) a stock cube & about 150 ml tomato passata.
Green veg are usually steamed over the casserole.
I use a spoon & a slice of my 'bread' to eat the gravy, & serve the casserole gravy as soup.

Snacks
Nuts (not salted); cheese; small fruit; TEA; thin soup; water

Beware of biscuits, crisps, sweets; fruit juice (20 g sugar in a 200 ml glass)
& milk (10 g sugar in a glass.)

Romola

I am disabled too - but I still exercise - there is nearly always something you can do.

I can't walk very far, so I bought a peddle exerciser - you are entitled to have it VAT free because of using it for diabetes. It was only around £25, and can be tidied away under a table.

I do two sessions of 15 minutes most days - although I worked up to that over a couple of weeks.

Exercise can really help to reduce insulin resistance.

If the peddlar wouldn't suit - there will be something - even from a wheelchair.

Your GP might be able to send you to see a physio who could see what you could do comfortably and safely in your own home.