Can anyone relate?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am a 36 year old female with 5 children age 14,5,3 and 16 month old twins. I found out I had gestational diabetes with my last (twin) pregnancy which was controlled with metformin.
After my twins were born the diabetes disappeared and my follow up hba1c was 5%.
Aprox 6 months later I began to get symptoms which I recognised as being high blood sugar,excessive thirst etc.
After requesting test strips from my gp I was refused but managed to get some of eBay, my glucose read 24mmol at which point I telephoned the doctor and was told to go in immediately.
I was tested for ketones which were +4 and told to go straight to A&E with a referral letter.
I returned home to tell my husband and family and got my overnight bag.
I was kept in hospital on a sliding scale for 3 days at which point I discharged myself with bs 13 and ketones gone, I didn't take the decision lightly but it was my daughters 3rd birthday and was heartbroke being apart from my family.
I visited my gp 2 days later and was prescribed metformin although they were scratching their heads at what type I am so classified type 2.
I managed to get my bs within normal range within a few weeks with low carb and excersise which worked well for me so much so that my last hba1c was 5%,3 stone weight loss my doctor told me to stop all meds.
Over christmas with no meds and still minimum carbs my numbers began to creep up and up so I requested to be put back on meds,3 weeks back on meds and my fasting bloods are still between 11-15.
My gp is saying I don't fit into the (typical) type2 catagory as I have no family history nor was I particularly overweight and that my decline seems so fast.
I am to be started on humalin i on Thursday still considered type 2.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a 36 year old female with 5 children age 14,5,3 and 16 month old twins. I found out I had gestational diabetes with my last (twin) pregnancy which was controlled with metformin.
After my twins were born the diabetes disappeared and my follow up hba1c was 5%.
Aprox 6 months later I began to get symptoms which I recognised as being high blood sugar,excessive thirst etc.
After requesting test strips from my gp I was refused but managed to get some of eBay, my glucose read 24mmol at which point I telephoned the doctor and was told to go in immediately.
I was tested for ketones which were +4 and told to go straight to A&E with a referral letter.
I returned home to tell my husband and family and got my overnight bag.
I was kept in hospital on a sliding scale for 3 days at which point I discharged myself with bs 13 and ketones gone, I didn't take the decision lightly but it was my daughters 3rd birthday and was heartbroke being apart from my family.
I visited my gp 2 days later and was prescribed metformin although they were scratching their heads at what type I am so classified type 2.
I managed to get my bs within normal range within a few weeks with low carb and excersise which worked well for me so much so that my last hba1c was 5%,3 stone weight loss my doctor told me to stop all meds.
Over christmas with no meds and still minimum carbs my numbers began to creep up and up so I requested to be put back on meds,3 weeks back on meds and my fasting bloods are still between 11-15.
My gp is saying I don't fit into the (typical) type2 catagory as I have no family history nor was I particularly overweight and that my decline seems so fast.
I am to be started on humalin i on Thursday still considered type 2.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes when I was diagnosed they weren't sure what type I was. However there is a test they can do but it is expensive and takes about 6 weeks to do but it tells them what type you are abd that is a N-GAD test

Sent from my iPad

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm I was very similar and my diabetes consultant started me on Victoza

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Yes when I was diagnosed they weren't sure what type I was. However there is a test they can do but it is expensive and takes about 6 weeks to do but it tells them what type you are abd that is a N-GAD test

Sent from my iPad
My GP won't do this test for me or the c-peptide. He feels that enough is known about my medical history to ensure that I am now correctly diagnosed as auto-immune diabetes and treated for same. Non auto-immune diabetes is treated differently.
Not sure how I feel about this. Does it matter as my BGs are now almost within limits and I look and feel so, so much better.