Can fingerprick tests be wrong?

bethhchapman

I woke up this morning and tested my sugars using my freestyle libre and my reading was 7 this was unusual for me as I am usually 4 or 5 in the morning so I decided to do a fingerprick glucose test to see what was happening. When I did it the reading was 16.8! And of course this was alarming for a fasting result, I don’t know why but I felt like I needed to do it again and the reading was 8.6 and then when I did it a third time it was 8.I feel it is extremely unlikely that in a matter of seconds it fell from 16.8 to 8 so my question is whether it is possible for that first 16.8 reading to be incorrect as I was always under the impression that the fingerprick test is accurate.

Reactions: LucySW

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The finger prick test is generally accurate and is deemed to be more accurate than the things like the libre

However, every so often you may have a dodgy test strip, or you may have had something on your hands that raised the reading. So if you get a reading that doesn't feel like how you feel at that level it is advised to wash your hands and test again