Can I do bodybuilding with type 2 diabetes ?

The Rumon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 22 & diagonised diabetes more than one year ago. I am 5.8 & 57 kg only right now. I want to get a healthy body, is it possible to do body building exercise? How & what should be my food habit? & can i take protien powder?

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with Jack.
Protein powder is nothing compared with real food and real exercise.
Be a natural!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a google for type 2 athletes and sportsmen/women.
You will be amazed.

And best of all, the more muscle you build, the easier it is to control blood glucose levels.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 22 & diagonised diabetes more than one year ago. I am 5.8 & 57 kg only right now. I want to get a healthy body, is it possible to do body building exercise? How & what should be my food habit? & can i take protien powder?
the other thing to take on board is the more carb you eat the more unstable your BG may become, if you find you are having trouble, there is the lchf option
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf+bodybuilding

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just read this, its really fantastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Redgrave
@The Rumon

A fantastic athlete with truly remarkable achievements and a true inspiration to all diabetics, showing what is possible even with diabetes.

Remember reading how Steve Redgrave had to go on insulin in order to cope with the huge carb intake that the energy needs of his very intensive training demanded.

Increasing muscle mass and reducing fat is known to improve long term insulin resistance for T2 diabetics, so highly advisable.

While exercise generally has the added benefit of burning up glucose for energy and therefore lowering blood glucose levels, short burst high intensity exercise such as weight lifting is known to elevate glucose through the action of stress "fight or flight" hormones that suppress insulin.

Exercising and body building is possible but you will need to monitor your levels closely during long exercise sessions to avoid highs or lows.

I believe we have members on this forum who have run marathons so I am sure that plenty of help will be available.

I am sure I have seen a recent post from a bodybuilder as well. If I remember correctly he was describing something called carb loading but I do not remember the details. I think it was something about eating low carb four out of five days but then having a really high carb diet day to replenish resources.

My very limited understanding on diets and sports is that a low carb high fat diet leading to ketosis may actually offer advantages over a high carb diet in endurance sports, while the opposite is true in more explosive sports ( glucose apparently can provide energy at a faster rate than fatty acids/ ketones).

As with most things to do with diabetes I suspect the best way forward is to try it and see if it works for you, but I certainly can not see why it should not.

Pavlos

The Rumon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@The Rumon

A fantastic athlete with truly remarkable achievements and a true inspiration to all diabetics, showing what is possible even with diabetes.

Remember reading how Steve Redgrave had to go on insulin in order to cope with the huge carb intake that the energy needs of his very intensive training demanded.

Increasing muscle mass and reducing fat is known to improve long term insulin resistance for T2 diabetics, so highly advisable.

While exercise generally has the added benefit of burning up glucose for energy and therefore lowering blood glucose levels, short burst high intensity exercise such as weight lifting is known to elevate glucose through the action of stress "fight or flight" hormones that suppress insulin.

Exercising and body building is possible but you will need to monitor your levels closely during long exercise sessions to avoid highs or lows.

I believe we have members on this forum who have run marathons so I am sure that plenty of help will be available.

I am sure I have seen a recent post from a bodybuilder as well. If I remember correctly he was describing something called carb loading but I do not remember the details. I think it was something about eating low carb four out of five days but then having a really high carb diet day to replenish resources.

My very limited understanding on diets and sports is that a low carb high fat diet leading to ketosis may actually offer advantages over a high carb diet in endurance sports, while the opposite is true in more explosive sports ( glucose apparently can provide energy at a faster rate than fatty acids/ ketones).

As with most things to do with diabetes I suspect the best way forward is to try it and see if it works for you, but I certainly can not see why it should not.

Pavlos
Thanks pavlos
Thanks pavlos for sharing an inspirational character

The Rumon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@The Rumon

Pavlos
Thanks for sharing an inspiratinal character

The Rumon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a google for type 2 athletes and sportsmen/women.
You will be amazed.

And best of all, the more muscle you build, the easier it is to control blood glucose levels.

Welcome to the forum. :)
Yaah thats y i want to gain muscles :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, as long as you keep the carbs under control you can eat other foods as much as you want and do any form of exercise. I can't comment on protein powder; just check if it has any carbs in it. Do you have a meter and how good is your blood suger control? You are very young to have T2 with such a low BMI. Just keep an eye on your blood sugar over the coming years just in case you are nearer to a Late onset T1.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't especially do body-building, but do short burst of intensive gym and resistance work, rather than long term endurance sports.

I don't LCHF, I low GI/GL and find it easy enough to match my carb loading with the amount of exercise.

Ideally you need to test your BG with a meter, then you can work out what dietary requirements, and what ratio of carbs/proteins/fats suit both your BG and muscle building.

jeniferfer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If you are weight lifting a high protein diet is required to build muscle. You also need to

replace the glycogen which is used up when doing a heavy work out. Chicken, rice and

peas. plenty of Vit c and water. Replacing lost salt is also essential. A general

bodybuilders diet is great. If your working out you can burn far more carbs than a non

diabetic. And I always found muscle gain really easy.

Fantastic way of keeping fit. Keep up the good work

jeniferfer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A month ago I mentioned to my doctor about my hair falling out and that it had been falling out since I was diagnosed with diabetes. He sent me to a (link removed) dermatologist who told me to take some over the counter vitamins. I've been doing that for almost two months now and my hair is still falling out. I was on the phone with a nurse the other day and she told me to go see an endo. So I called my doctor's office to have him refer me to someone. I had long thick hair before I was diagnosed and now it's paper thin. I have to have it in a ponytail all the time for work so that doesn't help anything at all. I'm so tired of my hair falling out.

Last edited by a moderator: