Can I eat snickers with diabetes?

SilverK

I think the taurine in the Red Bull may have had something to do with the lower than expected BGs. Not sure that's a good reason to drink Red Bull though (speaking for myself only)

Now, that is interesting!

I was taking taurine supplements, (they really help with nerve pain and aid sleep) but I stopped when I had a heart attack. - They couldn’t believe I didn’t need pain meds when I was admitted and I wondered if the taurine was somehow masking it. I was worried that I wouldn’t be as aware if something happened again.
My blood sugar was 26 that day. I dread to think what it would have been without the taurine in my system!?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now, that is interesting!

I was taking taurine supplements, (they really help with nerve pain and aid sleep) but I stopped when I had a heart attack. - They couldn’t believe I didn’t need pain meds when I was admitted and I wondered if the taurine was somehow masking it. I was worried that I wouldn’t be as aware if something happened again.
My blood sugar was 26 that day. I dread to think what it would have been without the taurine in my system!?
Of course I may not be right but I googled as I expected Red Bull to be full of nasties and was surprised to find that one or two things could be useful to metabolic health, but as you say, you never know what they are masking. I won't be adding Red Bull to my list of drinks anytime soon. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't worry, it's not compulsory! Anyway they will always be known as Marathons to me and at the risk of sounding ancient, they taste nothing like they used to anyway. x

I noticed whilst shopping, they have started selling a retro marathon bar.
For some reason, I always liked the original other than snicker.

Haven't had one since last century!

Legionnaire

Hi there Legionnaire - How are you measuring your blood glucose? Are you using finger prick test or something like a Freestyle Libre?

There are many many combinations impacting movements in blood glucose, and whilst what we eat and drink (especially for those living with Type 2) is a key element in that puzzle, so are many other factors.

Could you describe how you ran your experiments, what time of the day it was, and what else, if anything, you did around it? I'm thinking sleep, exercise, manual work, like gardening, sitting at a desk, just as examples?
Yeah sure, so Im using the Contour next glucose metre. 5 checks per day, fasting and then before lunch and 2 hrs after as well as the the same for the evening meal. As for the snickers bar, before and then every 30 min after for the next 3 hrs. I then did that for 3 days . Ate the snickers at 0900 and I have a desk job so nothing physical . I wanted to keep the variables to a minimum obviously. I then engaged my GP to verify what I aas seeing which she did confirn what I was seeing. So I carried on with eating one twice a week for the next 90 days. My A1C after the 90 days was 5.3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah sure, so Im using the Contour next glucose metre. 5 checks per day, fasting and then before lunch and 2 hrs after as well as the the same for the evening meal. As for the snickers bar, before and then every 30 min after for the next 3 hrs. I then did that for 3 days . Ate the snickers at 0900 and I have a desk job so nothing physical . I wanted to keep the variables to a minimum obviously. I then engaged my GP to verify what I aas seeing which she did confirn what I was seeing. So I carried on with eating one twice a week for the next 90 days. My A1C after the 90 days was 5.3

The things you have to endure for the greater good eh!!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

I think the taurine in the Red Bull may have had something to do with the lower than expected BGs. Not sure that's a good reason to drink Red Bull though (speaking for myself only)
Thats actually a really good point. I think I will explore the taurine angle a bit

Reactions: KK123

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Not a snicker, but I have just bought some treats today for Xmas... green and blacks dark chocolate pieces (lots of different flavours)

Ferraro rondi I think they are called -dark chocolate version

And lastly, some Tesco special dark chocolate biscuits

I follow a strict sugar free diet (other than dark chocolate now and again) so I am going to allow myself a small amount of chocolate on Christmas Day as a nice end to the year. It will be bloody well needed I think after this year!!

Reactions: Emmerdale

Legionnaire

Not a snicker, but I have just bought some treats today for Xmas... green and blacks dark chocolate pieces (lots of different flavours)

Ferraro rondi I think they are called -dark chocolate version

And lastly, some Tesco special dark chocolate biscuits

I follow a strict sugar free diet (other than dark chocolate now and again) so I am going to allow myself a small amount of chocolate on Christmas Day as a nice end to the year. It will be bloody well needed I think after this year!!
Yeah we keep the Green and Blacks in the house but I don't touch them. I keep on a no sugar/almost no carb diet. The Snickers was a completely accidental

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Snickers oh god no reminds me of the joke what has a hazelnut in every bite . Squirrel @#£& . But seriously I’m not a lover of the old marathon bar. Prefer a Twix hehehe , as previously stated @picklebean if your type 1 on insulin can each almost anything you like , just not to excess with the “ unhealthy” , basically like people without diabetes but in my case not a snickers lol
Oh wispa golds are another fav of mine

Legionnaire

Snickers oh god no reminds me of the joke what has a hazelnut in every bite . Squirrel @#£& . But seriously I’m not a lover of the old marathon bar. Prefer a Twix hehehe , as previously stated @picklebean if your type 1 on insulin can each almost anything you like , just not to excess with the “ unhealthy” , basically like people without diabetes but in my case not a snickers lol
Oh wispa golds are another fav of mine
Yeah mate, Im a type 2 and not insulin dependent, in fact Im only taking 1/3 of the recommended dose of metformin. That being said, I am VERY OCD about what I eat and monitoring my glucose levels. I will say this group has been SOOO helpful. I have isolated the key factor with the help of this group. For me!, its the taurine! After a suggestion was made here, I isolated the taurine and added a taurine supplement in the amount of 1 gram per day to my diet. It has the very same effect for me as the dreaded combo of a Snickers bar and a sugar free Redbull. SO, the taurine in the Redbull seems to be the thing. Anyway, a supplement of 1 gram of Taurine will cause my blood glucose to either drop or prevent any sugary item to actually impact my glucose levels. I'll do several more controlled experiments but so far this is REALLY interesting!

Legionnaire

Ok so Ive added the same amount of Taurine via a supplement and eliminated the sugar free red bull. I had really hoped the Taurine was the mystery ingredient BUUUUT looks like thats a no. For 3 days I added the Taurine supplement in the same amount as is purportedly contained in the 12 oz red bull. No drop in blood glucose. SOOOOO after several days of just the Taurine supplement with no perceivable impact, I tried another sugar free red bull and whadda ya know ? Dramatic blood glucose drop. Still sorting this out.......

Lollilong

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I treat chocolate like any other food. If I want to eat chocolate I keep the quantity down so that my meter is fine at the two hour mark. You'd be surprised at the things you can eat (and drink)

I'm very surprised anyone with diabetes can eat snickers. A hot drink with milk puts my sugars up. Unless you eat it w a shot of insulin? Is that a thing? I'm pretty new to all this and having real trouble. Had bloods of 18 2 hours after a bowl of porridge so now have a new rapid insulin pen too. Cannot imagine what a snickers would do.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was news to me that Snickers came with diabetes already installed. What will they think of next?

Legionnaire

Little update: So I added a Taurine supplement to my diet in the same amount found in the Red Bull. Sadly it had no impact at all so I guess its not the Taurine but the sugar free Red Bull and Snickers combo is absolutely reliable as clockwork at pushing the glucose level down. And no, I will not consume this on ANY sort of regular basis. But it is quite the conumdrum The quest continues.........

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Little update: So I added a Taurine supplement to my diet in the same amount found in the Red Bull. Sadly it had no impact at all so I guess its not the Taurine but the sugar free Red Bull and Snickers combo is absolutely reliable as clockwork at pushing the glucose level down. And no, I will not consume this on ANY sort of regular basis. But it is quite the conumdrum The quest continues.........
I have a similar reaction to whisky, but that may be because I am not sure which of the two readings is the correct one, But they do generally seem to agree with each other.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

I have a similar reaction to whisky, but that may be because I am not sure which of the two readings is the correct one, But they do generally seem to agree with each other.
So here's a question: are you on Metformin? If so, Metformin reacts with alchohol. For example if I REEEAALLYY WANT to cheat, I can have 1 shot of Bourbon and wait 20 min and then eat something ridiculous like ice cream and have absolutely NO impact from that sugar. Its stupid and dangerous unless you know yourself really well and you are insanely careful and controlled about it. For what that's worth

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
30g of carbs in a 48g bar, apparently. I'd say one isn't going to hurt you, if you cut the carbs elsewhere that day (from meals, for example.) It's not especially low carb as confectionery goes. A similar sized Mars bar would be about 35g of carbs. Then again, things like Haribos are practically 100% carbohydrate, so compared to that, it's pretty good.

If you just like the taste of that and other chocolates, then Celebrations (or similar) might be a good solution, as long as you can trust yourself not to keep munching through them. If you can get used to the taste of dark chocolate, then the Moser Roth 85% dark stuff in Aldi is about 5g of carbs per bar. They don't seem to spike my blood sugar at all, even if I have a couple of them at a time.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Legionnaire

30g of carbs in a 48g bar, apparently. I'd say one isn't going to hurt you, if you cut the carbs elsewhere that day (from meals, for example.) It's not especially low carb as confectionery goes. A similar sized Mars bar would be about 35g of carbs. Then again, things like Haribos are practically 100% carbohydrate, so compared to that, it's pretty good.

If you just like the taste of that and other chocolates, then Celebrations (or similar) might be a good solution, as long as you can trust yourself not to keep munching through them. If you can get used to the taste of dark chocolate, then the Moser Roth 85% dark stuff in Aldi is about 5g of carbs per bar. They don't seem to spike my blood sugar at all, even if I have a couple of them at a time.
Yeah, I literally have almost NO carbs in my diet and when I say no carbs, I mean no simple carbs. Complex carbs like veggies, yes. I eat no breads (which is a challenge, lol) no rice of any kind so my only vice is this one thing and its extremely limited.

Reactions: oldgreymare