1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can someone explain my figures please

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Numan, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Numan

Numan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I had a real strange day yesterday, T2 using low carb (70 g a day) diet, no meds. I normally have fasting figures around 5.5 -5.7, and figures through the day of 6.5 and under. Yesterday I didn’t check first reading as i wanted to monitor through some exercise. After breakfast ( an hour) I checked and it was 4.4, mmmm low I thought. Had 20 g of carbs throughout 4 hours of medium exercise, all figures checked were 5.3, last reading of the day was 2 hours after food and was 5.6. I’m pleased I kept smooth throughout the day, but why would I suddenly drop to 4.4 in the morning after food? Breakfast was my usual, and the previous evening reading was 6.0

2. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

It maybe is, that nobody really knows, why.

It also could be, your insulin response to the meal and exercise.
    Even though you are doing low carb, your background insulin and insulin response will have dropped you a little bit.
    There is something called an insulin index that shows how your insulin increases depending on what foods that you have. Chicken is especially high.
    Also, it could have been a rogue reading. But only a small one, as being in the 4s is not particularly low. I am non diabetic, my fasting levels are always in the fours, five and sometimes in the high threes. Normal readings are between, high threes and six mmols.
    As always it could be anything, it is so individual.
    If I was T2, I would be really happy getting results in normal levels!
    Control over time is more important than a singular reading.

Best wishes

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook