Prediabetes Can type2 diabetes be controlled by diet and exercise alone for decades together?

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can type 2 diabetes be managed to near normal levels by diet-exercise alone?
My c-peptide is 2ng/ml. Will this reduce further as time goes by?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would believe that once you get your blood glucose levels near normal, dietary balance is so important to control your levels. This will help maintain levels without the spikes that you would need to avoid.
And the consistency of continuous lower spikes will help your c-peptide numbers improve. Even though I don't think they are too high! I believe that the hba1c and pre meal tests are a more significant way of judging any improvement. C-peptide tests are only done for diagnosis and not as numerous as hba1c.
I have maintained a balanced diet suited to my nutritional needs since diagnosis which is close to a decade now! (Other than the odd slip up)
Best wishes

Reactions: saky

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think any of us can see into the future, not sure I would want to. I've managed one decade, no idea if I can make it two, ask me again in ten years.
Nice....how did you manage for a decade?
Am stilling trying to go low carb. Am currently eating approx 80grams of carbs per day( veggies, greens, eggs, nuts, few berries)
Want to go keto.... Atleast 50-60grams per day and see if i can go into ketosis and keep my insulin requirements low.

Reactions: catinahat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be managed to normal levels by many, not just near normal. Plenty of examples in these forums.

Cpeptide is usually high in Type 2 and rises with insulin resistance as we pump out more and more insulin trying to overcome the IR causing more IR in a vicious circle. Declining insulin isn’t a forgone conclusion in any of us, although it can happen after years of excess production and beta cell burnout. Reducing insulin/cpeptide is more usually a feature of type 1 than well controlled type 2

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just entered my first decade too. Only diet and excercise. Hba1c never higher than 5.3
I think it can be managed…
Wow....
Am doing my best. Eating low carb,adding more veggies, green leaves, few nuts, few berries and little dairy.
I eat about 80grams of carbs per day. Trying to go further low carb and into ketosis. But am skinny fat. Struggling.

Reactions: Tribal61

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be 10 years in later in the year, and still running A1c test results in the low thirties. Hopefully I can keep that up for a long time.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be 10 years in later in the year, and still running A1c test results in the low thirties. Hopefully I can keep that up for a long time.
Wow...
I also wish to do the same....in the low thirties without oral medicines....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an over 80 years old T2 and have eaten a low carb/ketogenic type diet since I was diagnosed at the end of November 2013. I've generally maintained lower pre-diabetic levels since then and stopped taking diabetic meds in 2017. I've always eaten normal full fat food so going lower carb was easy for me, and I eat a wide range of suitable food well within my chosen maximum of 50g carbs a day, In fact I currently have a better and more varied diet than I did for several years pre-diagnosis. IMO if this ancient old woman can manage, I believe that other T2s should hopefully be able to maintain near and actual normal glucose levels - given the right mind set, correct advice, but with no other heath issues that might make doing so difficult! And there are many on our forums who are currently doing far better than me.

(I'm actually still overweight, and no longer very mobile due to recent arthritis in my hips, but I've never been anywhere near a gym for exercise since my long ago school days...)

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Also wow! The lowest I’ve gotten it (no meds) is 38. If I may ask, what kind of exercise do you do? Also, do you go for an all out keto diet?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also wow! The lowest I’ve gotten it (no meds) is 38. If I may ask, what kind of exercise do you do? Also, do you go for an all out keto diet?
I’m no gym bunny, but I do walk and maintain our garden. I’m overseas at the moment and currently averaging about 10km a day, but that‘s more than I’d routinely do in UK.

My diet is reduced carb, not full keto. I have done some periods of keto, but these days I can tolerate more carbs than around diagnosis.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am about 9 yrs into diet and exercise diabetes controlled. meds taken for hypertension only I definitely need to reduce my carb intake again, however my HbAlc was 44 this year. I need to ask for my last 3 printouts for my results to see what has actually changed. My total cholesterol was higher than the previous time. I need to find out what rest of my profile is like. I know the carbs would be the biggest factor to any changes.
I play walking football, 5 aside football, wildcamping and walking. They are my main leisure activities

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an over 80 years old T2 and have eaten a low carb/ketogenic type diet since I was diagnosed at the end of November 2013. I've generally maintained lower pre-diabetic levels since then and stopped taking diabetic meds in 2017. I've always eaten normal full fat food so going lower carb was easy for me, and I eat a wide range of suitable food well within my chosen maximum of 50g carbs a day, In fact I currently have a better and more varied diet than I did for several years pre-diagnosis. IMO if this ancient old woman can manage, I believe that other T2s should hopefully be able to maintain near and actual normal glucose levels - given the right mind set, correct advice, but with no other heath issues that might make doing so difficult! And there are many on our forums who are currently doing far better than me.

(I'm actually still overweight, and no longer very mobile due to recent arthritis in my hips, but I've never been anywhere near a gym for exercise since my long ago school days...)
Thank you