Can we have the Statins conversation again?

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paul I don't know where you are, in UK, but the research study I participated in, is still recruiting. It provides a very thorough cardiac MOT, including stress MRI, CAC scan and gazillions more.
If you have time, could you possibly PM me the website please, or name of the trial so I can look it up? I'm not sure I'm quite at the point where I'd do it just yet, I've been poked, prodded and tested to within an inch of my life over the past 4 months since diagnosis. However, it's definitely of interest, just when I've had a couple of months break from being tested in the name of science and medicine! :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have time, could you possibly PM me the website please, or name of the trial so I can look it up? I'm not sure I'm quite at the point where I'd do it just yet, I've been poked, prodded and tested to within an inch of my life over the past 4 months since diagnosis. However, it's definitely of interest, just when I've had a couple of months break from being tested in the name of science and medicine! :)
I'll message you tomorrow.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paul_

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd recommend the study too as recommended by @AndBreathe I found it so interesting and personally as someone with high cholesterol and lots of talks from my DN about the cardiac risk I was taking not taking statins, which I can't tolerate unfortunately, it was so reassuring to have my results from such a thorough MOT whilst contributing to research too.

Reactions: Paul_

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd recommend the study too as recommended by @AndBreathe I found it so interesting and personally as someone with high cholesterol and lots of talks from my DN about the cardiac risk I was taking not taking statins, which I can't tolerate unfortunately, it was so reassuring to have my results from such a thorough MOT whilst contributing to research too.
I would be interested in this study.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul I don't know where you are, in UK, but the research study I participated in, is still recruiting. It provides a very thorough cardiac MOT, including stress MRI, CAC scan and gazillions more.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you have the study application details? I'm not far from Leicester and would be interested in joining. Family history of hypercholesterolemia on the male line, I'm female but take after that side of the family

Reactions: saky

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you have the study application details? I'm not far from Leicester and would be interested in joining. Family history of hypercholesterolemia on the male line, I'm female but take after that side of the family
I do. I'll drop you a PM later. I'm on the run (not from the police though!) at the moment.

If you drop me a PM it'll remind me (air brained sometimes).

Reactions: Omar51 and lessci

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did my lipid testing on Dec 13th---ldl (direct) - 96mg/dl, HDL - 69mg/dl, Trig-41mg/dl, Total cholesterol - 173mg/dl
I gave up chocolates but still took peanuts,almonds, walnuts, almond milk, cashews -atleast 100g mixed nuts everyday. 5mg rosuvastatin.
Another lipid test 26th Dec, 2023 ---Ldl -71.2mg/dl, HDL - 60mg/dl, Trig - 43mg/dl, Total cholesterol - 140mg/dl.
Will try eating defatted peanut flour, defatted almond flour, hemp seed (defatted), sesame (de oiled), flaxseed bread, chia seeds along with 2.5mg rosuvastatin for 3 weeks and test again!

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My lovely diabetic nurse(she is pro low carb and really supportive) is calling at 9.30 tomorrow to confirm my diabetic treatment plan and go through ?markers? for whether or not I need statins. She seems keen for me to be on them but knows I'm reluctant. The thing is I have woken up this morning not really knowing why I am reluctant beyond reading posts on here about refusing them. Both my type2 parents are on Statins but neither have a history of heart attack or stroke. My non diabetic brother had a bypass a couple of years ago. My recent results (which I don't pretend to understand beyond 5 is some sort of magic number) are below
I'm 40 or 50 lbs overweight for my height but have lost 22lbs recently.

Total Cholesterol​

Current result: 6.5 mmol/L on 08/11/2023

HDL Cholesterol​

Current result: 1.50 mmol/L on 08/11/2023

LDL Cholesterol​

Current result: 4.5 mmol/L on 08/11/2023

Can you help me be a bit more informed when I take the call?
Thank you.
I too have high cholesterol(over 200mg/dl) and high ldl (120mg/dl to 160mg/dl). I have family history of premature CAD and MI. After eating low carb, my trig dropped(around 40-60mg/dl) and HDL went up(60mg/dl to 70mg/dl) but ldl goes up if I eat meat, dairy, oily stuff, and nuts .
I started low fat diet recently. I eliminated meat but eat egg whites; eliminated dairy but eat a little tofu and curd. I avoid eating chocolates, olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters. I take 5mg statin and Ldl has dropped(71mg/dl). But statin is making my liver enzymes go up.
Want to futher reduce the dose.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I too have high cholesterol(over 200mg/dl) and high ldl (120mg/dl to 160mg/dl). I have family history of premature CAD and MI. After eating low carb, my trig dropped(around 40-60mg/dl) and HDL went up(60mg/dl to 70mg/dl) but ldl goes up if I eat meat, dairy, oily stuff, and nuts .
I started low fat diet recently. I eliminated meat but eat egg whites; eliminated dairy but eat a little tofu and curd. I avoid eating chocolates, olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters. I take 5mg statin and Ldl has dropped(71mg/dl). But statin is making my liver enzymes go up.
Want to futher reduce the dose.
In 1990 Merck pharmaceutical were aware of the muscle pain issues and what was causing it. See

Coenzyme Q10 with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors​

Abstract​

A pharmaceutical composition and method of counteracting HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor-associated myopathy is disclosed. The method comprises the adjunct administration of an effective amount of a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor and an effective amount of Coenzyme Q10.​

The full patent application is available at https://patents.google.com/patent/US4933165A/en

I think it's worth mentioning that there are those who have no problems whatsoever, so it might be worth trying them to be sure. I tolerated muscle pain for 17 years before lowering my carbs and bringing down my total cholesterol so that I stopped taking statins. I was also curious as to why my doctors were telling me that the total cholesterol I was aiming for kept being reduced. They were happy with 6 all those years ago and today that want it below 4. I spent a long time trying to get an answer and nobody could tell me. Back in 2014 there was a lot of controversy over the research data and how it was being interpreted. The BMJ were involved in retracting an article then re-instating the article. You could look into it further because it's not straight forward.

saky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In 1990 Merck pharmaceutical were aware of the muscle pain issues and what was causing it. See

Coenzyme Q10 with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors​

Abstract​

A pharmaceutical composition and method of counteracting HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor-associated myopathy is disclosed. The method comprises the adjunct administration of an effective amount of a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor and an effective amount of Coenzyme Q10.​

The full patent application is available at https://patents.google.com/patent/US4933165A/en

I think it's worth mentioning that there are those who have no problems whatsoever, so it might be worth trying them to be sure. I tolerated muscle pain for 17 years before lowering my carbs and bringing down my total cholesterol so that I stopped taking statins. I was also curious as to why my doctors were telling me that the total cholesterol I was aiming for kept being reduced. They were happy with 6 all those years ago and today that want it below 4. I spent a long time trying to get an answer and nobody could tell me. Back in 2014 there was a lot of controversy over the research data and how it was being interpreted. The BMJ were involved in retracting an article then re-instating the article. You could look into it further because it's not straight forward.
Thank you. Will check that out....