Can we keep the insulin dose constant for a long time ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

is it is possible to keep to my insulin dose same for a long time ? I generally take very low curb and healthy food. I do regular good exercise.
In this forum, so many person used to tell my honeymoon period is expired and my insulin dose has been doubled. will this be happen to everybody ?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not quite sure what your asking, but insulin doses do change over time........ especially when you've just come out of your honeymoon period.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. How can i know, am i in honeymoon or not ? if i will eat more carbohydrate or sweet food items then obviously i have to take more insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Generally your insulin needs will decrease when your in the HP and increase again once your leaving it, you will see the difference in your insulin-to-carb ratio's.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also think that during the honeymoon it is easier to keep your blood sugars within range. Though I need to calculate my meals, match them with the exercise I do and take into account for other factors, my bloodsugars behave predictable most of the time. Once you get out of the honeymoon you will have to put much more effort for maintaining the same levels, so if that is the case chances are you are out of the honeymoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Since I went on insulin 3 years ago I have checked my Basal balance every few months and it has increased during that time from 10 units once a day to 13 units now. I would do a Basal check occasionally to see where you are. There is a full fasting test you can do, but I do a rough check by measuring my fasting sugar first thing in the morning and try to keep it within 5-7 mmol. It's not an exact science but is a guide to long-term changes. I don't worry about what the cause is e.g. honeymoon but just adjust the dose to be 'right'.