Can you calculate your hba1c?

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've started a spreadsheet with my test readings - ok it's not been going for long but I have a running total average reading - which is currently 6.2

Is there a way to turn that into hba1c or does it need 3 months worth?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started a spreadsheet with my test readings - ok it's not been going for long but I have a running total average reading - which is currently 6.2

Is there a way to turn that into hba1c or does it need 3 months worth?
You’ll need three months worth to be as accurate as possible. However it will depend how many times a day you test as well. I test between 4-8 times a day and enter my readings into the MySugr app. It calculates an estimated HbA1c for you. Last time I had a lab HbA1c is was 33, MySugr on the same day said 32.9, so on that occasion it was very close!

Reactions: nab_sha

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really unless you are testing an awful lot. As you probably don;t test while you're asleep night time fluctuations won't be available unless of course you are using a libre.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I test 3 times a day - fasting and pre and post prandial. I recorded and averaged my results for 10 weeks and it matched my official HbA1c. Obviously that is just me and on one test only.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But what the point, I care about post-meal BG reading as I can control then, my HBA1C levels is of more benefit to my GP's computer then it is to me.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But what the point, I care about post-meal BG reading as I can control then, my HBA1C levels is of more benefit to my GP's computer then it is to me.
Yes individual pre and post meal readings inform meal choices and help with control. but the HbA1c gives an overview of 3 months and it's nice to get it into 'normal' levels if possible, so that I know I am reducing my risk of complications.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
50shades-png.17564

But beware, it only works when you're testing a lot.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If finger prick tests were a perfect analog of the HbA1c then you wouldn't need the HbA1c tests as has been said you would have to test an incredibly high number of times for it to be any where near accurate.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If finger prick tests were a perfect analog of the HbA1c then you wouldn't need the HbA1c tests as has been said you would have to test an incredibly high number of times for it to be any where near accurate.

The HbA1c test is needed because before it doctors has access to few finger pick reading for most people, and these readings were not done at a consistent time after meals.

Yes individual pre and post meal readings inform meal choices and help with control. but the HbA1c gives an overview of 3 months and it's nice to get it into 'normal' levels if possible, so that I know I am reducing my risk of complications.

If you have nearly enough data to calculate what HbA1c will be, you have more then enough data to see what your progress is by looking at a graph of post-meal and fasting BG readings. Hence I see no point in trying to calculate what an A1c will be.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you have nearly enough data to calculate what HbA1c will be, you have more then enough data to see what your progress is by looking at a graph of post-meal and fasting BG readings. Hence I see no point in trying to calculate what an A1c will be.
Agreed, but I have only been DX for 3 months and this was my first HbA1c since, so I had no idea it was going to be so close. It may not be so accurate next time! They are different tools to show me where I'm at and to reassure me. I know some people don't take readings at all. I don't think I could cope with the stress of only knowing once every 3 or 6 months where I'm at.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The HbA1c for many people is not a reliable marker. It is an average. It does not pick up the variations, and it is the variations that matter. It is also measured assuming we all have standard red blood cells, which we don't. (The old one size fits all scenario). It assumes we all have red blood cells that live around 120 days. We don't. People that have hypothyroidism, certain types of anaemia, high or low haematocrit levels, or any other condition that causes red blood cells to live longer or shorter than the standard 120 days will see an HbA1c that is higher or lower than other markers indicate.

It wouldn't worry me personally if I never had another HbA1c. I just regard it as something the nurse wants to see. It is only useful for watching trends. It doesn't tell me the true situation. My own finger pricking tells me so much more, with the occasional use of a Freestyle Libre.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm sorry I thought the question was can you calculate your HbA1c result from a relatively small number of finger prick tests not is the HbA1c of any real value or worthwhile as a diagnostic tool.

And I believe the answer to that is not really.