can you do too much exercise?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi today i did 8+ miles which is my best so, i felt like i could run forever, i stopped myself because i was thinking will i just keep going then collapse? i have read through running bug site and they talk about filling up on carbs all the time :***: anyone that does distance running here on low carb diet? would you say it is dangerous in anyway? and if i feel like i could run on and on should i?

thanks

im t2 btw

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no, you can't do too much exercise. As a T1, carbs are the problem and dose management.

For you as a T2, you should be able to train your fat metabolism to fuel you, read Phil Maffetone's "Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing"

You may find that you need more than 30g carbs a day though.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou! yes i was wondering about the carbs thing as its all they talk about, eat carbs eat carbs eat carbs lol would have been perfect 9 months ago :) ill have a look for that book thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Adan Bailey

In my opinion, nobody can decide the duration of exercise. Every person has different body potential and can not afford long time time exercise. Exercise duration depends on body capability. Some people are week and some are healthy, always consult with your doctor and start exercise according to his/her suggestions.

Scales Store

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi thanks ive kind of come to the conclusion that i should do the listening to my body thing :) im afraid i wouldnt ask my doctors advice on paint colour for my living room let alone anything health related, yes i did change doctors but that one was much worse lol

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You can only do too much exercise if it begins to have a negative impact or you start picking up injuries. As long as you feel good and enjoy it, carry on. Rest however, is a very important part of a keep fit routine.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Adan Bailey said:
In my opinion, nobody can decide the duration of exercise. Every person has different body potential and can not afford long time time exercise. Exercise duration depends on body capability. Some people are week and some are healthy, always consult with your doctor and start exercise according to his/her suggestions.

Counting Scale

The question was not

"can you increase the amount of exercise you do too rapidly and cause an injury?"

but

"can you do too much exercise"

how quickly you ramp up to exercise is the issue, top class athletes will be doing two or three well-managed sessions a day. I average 5 sessions a week, up to about 5-7 hours a week, sometimes more. Andy may need to ramp up slowly, but it doesn't change my answer.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use PolarPersonaltrainer.com to track my exercise and calculate my training load, basically it gives you a warning when you are at risk of overdoing it and tells you to either drop the loading to a lower level or abstain for a day. i also tells you when you are ready to increase your loading. It can also create training programs for you.

It's been a real eyeopener for me and has helped me train more effectively I think.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use PolarPersonaltrainer.com to track my exercise and calculate my training load, basically it gives you a warning when you are at risk of overdoing it and tells you to either drop the loading to a lower level or abstain for a day. i also tells you when you are ready to increase your loading. It can also create training programs for you.

It's been a real eyeopener for me and has helped me train more effectively I think.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

jsberry

I don't think you should reduce your exercise as it helps control blood glucose, insulin sensitivity and weight control.
It can sometimes cause a hypo a while after exercise, Its a good idea to test before exercise and if its below 5mmol have a snack.
It is better to decrease medication if sugar levels are low rather than increasing food or decreasing exercise.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree you can't do too much but timing is very important. You need rest time for your body to recover.

I vist the gym 5 days a week - on Mon, Wed, Fri I do a full cardio interval routine and weights and on Tues, Thurs just do 45 mins gentle cardio at about 70% heart rate. I see Tues, \Thurs as recovery days. Weekends are usually spent with family, sometimes doing "fit" things, sometimes not ;)

Well that was until July when I had my heart attack! Now I just do gentle cardio and light weights 3 days a week but will get back to full routine as I recover. (Been told heart attck was due to diabetes complications - platlettes? - and if I hadn't been so fit it would have been curtains.)

One thing I noticed after I was first diagnosed is that my BS levels went UP when I exercised. For instance a typical level when I started exercising would be 6 but would be in the high 7s after training and stay there for a couple of hours. I found that some whey protein shake within an hour of the end brought numbers right back down.

Don't know the science behind it but worked for me.

claire7419

Andy12345 said:
hi today i did 8+ miles which is my best so, i felt like i could run forever, i stopped myself because i was thinking will i just keep going then collapse? i have read through running bug site and they talk about filling up on carbs all the time :***: anyone that does distance running here on low carb diet? would you say it is dangerous in anyway? and if i feel like i could run on and on should i?

thanks

im t2 btw

The best advice I have is to keep it simple and ease back into it, remembering that your body will need some time to build back some strength and endurance.  Be kind to yourself!  You're getting back on track and that's enough for now.