Can you eat bread on a low carb diet?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey don't worry, I'm going to find a proper low carb forum where people don't eat bread and processed junk and call it low carb.

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

Is this not belittling also?

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now bread was only part of the OP's problem with some of us. How about sugar free jelly then? Now I would eat that if I could, but I can't because no matter what sweetener is in it I get a bad reaction. :( Too many sweeteners in the past methinks. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just can't believe it isn't me that has belittled someone. I must be losing my touch....
( stand by for an edit ).

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not the ones in jelly any way. I've tried them all and I get pains and an odd sensation in my kidneys. I'm happy having double cream on its own though. :D
I like adding essence to double cream. Lakeland do a nice banana one. It tastes like banana but without the carbs of a banana.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So vegetarians get a no meat products in here forum and that's fine, but it's not fine to want a properly low carb forum without bread and sugar-free jelly, because some people can't give up junk food ?

No wonder HCPs are sceptical about low carb, if the people saying that they low carb are eating processed food and carbs !
Everybody interprets low carb differently. For example at week-ends I eat one slice of seeded toast and 2 poached or fried eggs for breakfast which I consider to be low carb but not junk food. I also eat other carbs such as potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals as part of my diet. I have cut down on my carbs but my BS readings indicate that I can eat some carbs.
Now bread was only part of the OP's problem with some of us. How about sugar free jelly then? Now I would eat that if I could, but I can't because no matter what sweetener is in it I get a bad reaction. :( Too many sweeteners in the past methinks. :rolleyes:
The ironic thing is that the tub of sugar free jelly that I occasionally eat only has 1.2g of carbs and you can't get lower than that!!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Closing up this thread to a degree (by sounding a bit like a summary) but this post is really interesting - if even only to show that concept of low carb is a spectrum of sorts and there are as many people as there are different understandings of low carb - it's what works for you. As, ultimately, low carb isn't really about following a diet, it's a lifestyle.

Reactions: 4 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is this not belittling also?

I suppose the point it shows is that there are people who *do* eat bread and still consider themselves to follow a low carb diet. And there are some that don't feel it's appropriate to call that low carb.

If your concept of low carb is simply eating less that Xg of carbs per day, as long as the bread came under that I think the concept of following a low carb diet is valid?

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps I need to start a thread to determine what is 'low calorie' then?
I am still confused and bemused by the title of this thread.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yummy - I'm doing a Lakeland order tonight.:D:D:D

I guess the 20g or so of carbs in a small banana is banned as well then, even though it has little impact on my BG, if I eat it when I'm lifting and carrying outside?

M

mrspuddleduck

Hey don't worry, I'm going to find a proper low carb forum where people don't eat bread and processed junk and call it low carb.

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

Whilst I respect your choice @Celeriac, I for one would be sad and would miss your contribution to the forum. As someone who is physically unable to LCHF I have gained so much from reading the threads about low carb/high fat in relation to diabetic control. I have, as a result of this forum changed the carbs I have to eat - with a slight but still positive effect on my brittle blood sugars. And I believe I am a good example of the positive influences of this forum. I could have dismissed the LCHF threads because I can't do it but was drawn into the discussion (the real important bit to me), and as a result both my behaviour and my diabetes changed. Whether I can or can't do it, or whether I choose to or not to do it doesn't matter. It being able to access the information, the facts, peoples experience good and bad that matters, so people may make an informed choice. Think we would all be on the 'eatwell plate' otherwise! :eek: :) Sue xxxx

Reactions: 14 people