Can you estimate your HbA1c from finger prick readings?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From personal experience I use an app called Diaconnect to log my finger prick BGs carbs & shots..

It has an A1c calculator. (For a bit of fun...) it calculates my A1c "aprox" 15% higher than what comes back from the lab? Now I test on average 10/11 times a day. However, (& oddly.) my Accu-Chek Mobile also reads 15% higher than the calibrated NHS calibrated standard issue your average HCP is supplied with..

Though, I wouldn't take what my app calculation says as "gospel." It's not far out regarding my log activity & taking into account the "15%" discrepenacy on the data input.?

probably no help at all. But it was interesting to me at the time considering the subject of other apps being wildly out on the calculation of A1s.

pinkjude

Like @xfieldok I input my data into MySugr. The estimated HbA1c is always lower than my lab tests, however I just use it as a guide to see trends up or down.
How do you find metformin? I have it but not yet taken as my nurse said she will give me a chance to get readings down first by diet etc. HBa1c was 84 last thrsday, finger prick 11.7 after breakfast but I have never tested before and did get a bit stressed.

Doireallyneedanams

No, not really. I had gestational diabetes and played this torture game with myself whilst waiting for my postpartum hba1c.

Thing is, it’s an average. It’s no use using your 9 & 10’s to calculate it and assume prediabetes/diabetes, because you could hit that 10 and he on a rapid decline within seconds and back to 4/5 at 2 hours, which is the case for many non diabetics.

After baby whenever I hit a 9 at one hour after a carb heavy meal I’d re test and I’d never see it again, I’d be down to 7 ish within minutes.

In any case GD means an increased risk for type 2 so best to be careful with the carbs :)