Can You Trust Hba1c Results?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer to rely on my meter's data for guidance, and let my GP or DN rely on the HbA1c.

I trust my HbA1c only in so far as it's consistent in relation to my own predicted results from finger prick test averages. It tends to be a little higher than those, and a fair bit higher than any Libre predictions.

Robbity

ETA But for all those results I also allow for the fact that it's not entirely my carbohydrate consumption that can affect my glucose levels, and I've actually seen some of my highest readings ever from stress...

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that @CherryAA does the same as @DCUKMod . There may well be others, and now I have given it a try I may follow suit. I use an Accu Chek Mobile finger pricker because of the convenience, but even buying cartridges on eBay costs me a small fortune. I test between 6 and 8 times a day under normal circumstances, and also am a part time Libre user. The A1cNow will save me a lot of money.

its true I use all the technology, though I would have to admit its pretty much a waste of time, I know what my blood sugar is going to be based on what I ate. if anything the home a1C and the libre have been slightly more pessimistic than the clinic tests. But as its running around 5.3% I can't say I care too much !

justism91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just did my Hba1c this morning and it came back as 6%. Not happy about it as my last one was 5.3% 4 months back. But i have to be honest that i have cheating more often during my meals lately probably due to complacency from the last result. Never now!! I will go back to the strict regime i once followed. Lets work hard together people!!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your result came back very quickly!