Can Your A1c be too low? - Article

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I find side plates a little too crunchy. Like those pork scratchins. Break me teeth on them, oof.
But then, once your teeth are broken, hard to over-eat carbs or anything else.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Me too, I did ask her to repeat what she'd said twice, then I asked her to check my pulse to see if I was still alive because I had not taken any for 5 weeks, a friend here (I live in France) is type 2 and takes insulin, his doc told him to eat plenty of French bread because it's good for him, so he eats 2 baguette s a day, half a baguette puts my glucose higher than eating sweets.

This would be funny if it wasn't so outrageous. And dangerous! I say to anyone who will listen 'do not listen to conventional medical professionals about anything to do with healthy nutrition. Unless you know they really know their stuff. But all the rest - ignore it. Water. Ducks. Back.'

My diabetic nurse sister is not happy with me saying this. But it is as true for her as it is for every other medical professional who starts to talk to type two diabetics on what they should or shouldn't eat.

Again - it would be funny if it wasn't about our good or bad health.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This would be funny if it wasn't so outrageous. And dangerous! I say to anyone who will listen 'do not listen to conventional medical professionals about anything to do with healthy nutrition. Unless you know they really know their stuff. But all the rest - ignore it. Water. Ducks. Back.'

My diabetic nurse sister is not happy with me saying this. But it is as true for her as it is for every other medical professional who starts to talk to type two diabetics on what they should or shouldn't eat.

Again - it would be funny if it wasn't about our good or bad health.
It's the government that tells them what to tell you.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
one of those patients who intentionally have hypo to get a low hba1c

Maybe not intentionally. But I’d say that’s why lots of people on here have low hba1c’s.
Low HBA1C versus quality of life? It’s funny because all the t1’s I have met in real life favour QOL.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A friend of ours is a nurse, one evening we a long discussion about where insulin comes from, I insisted it came from the pancreas, she insisted it came from the pituitary gland.

oh dear! She would have been very embarrassed when she popped out to google it? We can but hope!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe not intentionally. But I’d say that’s why lots of people on here have low hba1c’s.
Low HBA1C versus quality of life? It’s funny because all the t1’s I have met in real life favour QOL.

I haven't come across anyone on here who says their hba1c is low (say less than 6%) from having frequent bad hypos ? I haven't met any type 1s in real life....

My understanding, just from reading posts on this forum is for type 1s, low and stable bs and low hba1c can only be achieved if you are low carbing, are still on honeymoon period or .. you are lucky enough to have cgm/libre and can pay close attention to bs levels 24hrs a day easily.

People who go for low carbing probably enjoy low carbing so they would probably say their QOL has increased

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I haven't come across anyone on here who says their hba1c is low (say less than 6%) from having frequent bad hypos ? I haven't met any type 1s in real life....

My understanding, just from reading posts on this forum is for type 1s, low and stable bs and low hba1c can only be achieved if you are low carbing, are still on honeymoon period or .. you are lucky enough to have cgm/libre and can pay close attention to bs levels 24hrs a day easily.

People who go for low carbing probably enjoy low carbing so they would probably say their QOL has increased
Funny you should say that. Just been out for a lovely meal with friends at a Turkish restaurant, totally low carb, had a quick glance at my Libre every so often, didn’t need to bolus, and my BG level just now is 6.1mmol - was 5.6 at dinner. No stress about insulin or a hypo later, that’s excellent QOL as far as I’m concerned, way better than I had before :)

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny you should say that. Just been out for a lovely meal with friends at a Turkish restaurant, totally low carb, had a quick glance at my Libre every so often, didn’t need to bolus, and my BG level just now is 6.1mmol - was 5.6 at dinner. No stress about insulin or a hypo later, that’s excellent QOL as far as I’m concerned, way better than I had before :)
Yes but Mel you’re not T1. You’re a T1000.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes but Mel you’re not T1. You’re a T1000.
Love it. I’m a T-Terrible today, and have been a few days this week - can’t seem to get below 8mmol despite injecting 2-3 times my usual amount of morning rise correction doses. Warm weather and a couple of other factors don’t help, plus allergies from air pollution, I think. I’m in London for a few days, I suspect city life doesn’t agree with me! Summer certainly doesn’t.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WARNING. BAD LANGUAGE follows. Shield your eyes.

Nope. We ate the life of Riley. We had puddings with most meals such as Baked Alaska, Pavlova, Sticky toffee pudding, Mocha Cream. My mum was an avid cake baker, with Betty Crocker Devils Chocolate a family favourite (with fudge ice topping) lots of marzipan iced sponges etc.

One comment in one of Dr Aseem Malhotra's presentations comes to mind. He was talking about the Pioppi diet and how the people there typically only had dessert on Sundays. Which was pretty much the drill during my childhood. Also seasonal, ie blackcurrant and apple crumble, rhubarb & custard, or my nemesis.. gooseberrys. Are your tetanus injections up to date? Yes? Good, go pick the gooseberry. One of nature's versions of barbed wire. Some of those, like the rhubarb or gooseberries may have ended up with a hefty dose of sugar, but generally we liked the tartness.

Now, thanks to the miracles of advertising and supermarket promotions, kids may expect dessert with every meal, plus we're bombarded with messaging to treat ourselves in between. Combined with a more sedentary lifestyle, it's hardly suprising health is suffering.

As for A1c.. mine's due in a couple of weeks and hopefully that'll be a decent number. GP said if I kept up, I'd probably come off the Metformin. I'm also a bit curious about ketogenic diets and A1c results, ie if that would produce a low reading. I'm thinking if 'normal' function keeps a constant-ish 5-6g circulating glucose regardless, it won't. Also curious if stopping Metformin will help or hinder fat loss.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Leeds by any chance?

No Dewsbury. There are so many Asian diabetics in the area I really expected to be able to get a Libre but, I'm told by the diabetic nurse, they don't test so no chance. :(

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This fella does not pull his punches.