Cancer related to Lantus

LisaSanDiego

I know that there have been short studies done about the link of cancer to Lantus but those were done in 2009 and 2010. They seemed to be conducted on patients that only had been taking Lantus for up to 2.9 years My father has Diabetes and has just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. He has been taking Lantus for at least 5 years. He is 80 yrs old. His PSA has gone up very quickly. It doesn't seem normal. My father in law was taking Lantus for many years and he recently passed away from Prostate Cancer. Has anyone else had this same situation or heard of anyone with this situation? The studies just don't seem to be long enough. And with all that you hear about the drug it makes you wonder if cancer is related to Lantus?

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi lisasanDiago I have been on lantus for 16+yrs and I must admit I have never heard or seen anything about it causing cancer makes you think though .

Reactions: DaftThoughts

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Makes me not want to know. I need lantus. I don't want to live in fear but I also have never heard of that. I'll by pass this thread from now on lol

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@LisaSanDiego , I'm sorry for your loss but you need to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Many people in the West get ill for a wide variety of reasons: ironically enough, they've only lived that long and are in a position to sue/complain because the system they're complaining about has kept them alive enough to do so.

As a T1, I would have been dead 30 years ago if it weren't for basals like lantus. The notion that basals actively cause cancer is ridiculous. The likelihood is that they've kept your relatives alive long enough to die of something else.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but don't go looking for something which isn't there.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that there have been short studies done about the link of cancer to Lantus but those were done in 2009 and 2010. They seemed to be conducted on patients that only had been taking Lantus for up to 2.9 years My father has Diabetes and has just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. He has been taking Lantus for at least 5 years. He is 80 yrs old. His PSA has gone up very quickly. It doesn't seem normal. My father in law was taking Lantus for many years and he recently passed away from Prostate Cancer. Has anyone else had this same situation or heard of anyone with this situation? The studies just don't seem to be long enough. And with all that you hear about the drug it makes you wonder if cancer is related to Lantus?

Hi,

I'm sorry for your bereavement..

I'm not sure of you & your family's geographic location.? Using your "username" as the only clue to go on you might be located on the Pacific coast?
Put that together with nationality & age? I'm surmising your father & father in law may have proudly served their country in Vietnam?
I am only going on what I see with your profile of course...

There are many "risks" (or combinations of factors.) that could cause cancer.. "Agent Orange" is another one...

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/agent-orange-and-cancer.html

Reactions: DaftThoughts

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Scientific studies are relatively useless if they are only conducted in a narrow time frame, with a very limited number of participants and no control of outside factors. Correlation is not the same as causation, that is why we need extensive long-term studies with thousands upon thousands of participants, consistent reproducible results, with tightly controlled variables to eliminate other influences.

In this instance, the final ruling is that there is no clear evidence that Lantus, or any other insulin or diabetes medication, causes cancer. The studies done were limited to European countries and based on existing data on groups of people. This means that it was nearly impossible to accurately take into consideration other factors that can influence the risk of cancer. The correlation found that breast cancer was the most prominent, but the bottom line remains this is a correlation at the very best. It could just be as likely that the people who are insulin dependent diabetics share both the genetic risk factors for breast cancer and diabetes, but that doesn't make the fact they use Lantus indicate it causes the cancer.

The study data is therefore as useful as the correlation between letters in winning word of scripps national spelling bee, and number of people killed by venomous spiders. It's pretty meaningless.