Cannot get on with Metformin

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Can't get on with metformin er only on 1 tablet a day but feel so ill think I won't take anymore don't think they will change it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some people say they get side-effects with the standard metformin and less so when they change to the SR (slow release) version of the drug, hopefully other members who take Metformin will advise you shortly.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I thought I was dying (really) with Metformin, I couldn't take the next dose. Felt too ill, told the GP they put me on the slow release and I've been absolutely fine with that.

Mikeyoungish1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin makes me ill, only taking one 500mg SR tablet afternoon, it slows me up, headache, pains in back and chest, feel sicky, horrible but my dr asked me to try carry on & stop for short periods if need be.
I also take gliclazide morning & evenings but the metforminin does give me better bs control.
I also hate taking it as i do the statins which give me wrist pains.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin SR (Slow Release) usually gives few problems for most people so get the GP to change to that and see if it helps

Reactions: 2 people

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin modified or slow release are gentle on the system. Have it with food, best advice I read on here was ' eat half your dinner, take tablet with a full glass of water and then finish dinner'
This is how I take mine and I've had no problems :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
It took me a couple of months to get on with Metformin SR,I nearly gave up,but fine now.
I read about the benifits and carried on.